none
PAM and SAM...

Question

• I am not sure about these to roles.  Primary Active Manager is on one machine in the DAG.  Is the Secondary Active Manager on all other servers in the DAG? Correct?  WHen a failover occurs then the PAM role is transferred to one of the other servers in the DAG.  It is also a SAM for itself...  True?

thanks

Dick

dick
    Friday, October 16, 2009 2:39 PM

Answers

• Dick, I do not know if I will properly clarify your doubts, but I will try.

- Yes, SAM role is hold on all DAG members servers, except the one with the PAM role.

- Yes and no. The member of DAG that hold PAM role, hold only this role. As say in the TechNet article, the server with the role of PAM also performs the functions of detect failures in databases and Information Store for itself. So if the computer detects any fault in databases, also will make the decision which is best copy of the database to activate.

I hope I was clear and answer your questions.

Greetings

Dario Woitasen MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration
    • Marked as answer by Dick Beddoe Friday, October 16, 2009 4:35 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:58 PM

All replies

• Dick, you've read this article in Technet? The same is explained very well the tasks of each role (PAM and SAM) in DAG.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776123(EXCHG.140).aspx

Greetings

Dario Woitasen
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration

Friday, October 16, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Hi Dario,

Yes, it was that article that prompted the question.  I think it says that a PAm or SAM runs on each of the DAG members, but I read and reread it and that fact is implied but not said...  I reckon so regardless...

thanks for the prompt response,

cheers,

Dick

dick
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:09 PM
  • So the PAM is essentially the DAG node that has control of the Cluster Group.  Every server has the capability to be the PAM, but only one is ever the PAM, and again, that node is the one who currently controls the Cluster Group resource.  Any other node is a SAM.  If the PAM were to fail, the Cluster Group would failover to another DAG node which would then become the new PAM.

MVP | MCSE:M | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator | MCTS: OCS + Voice Specialization | http://www.shudnow.net
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Dick, I do not know if I will properly clarify your doubts, but I will try.

- Yes, SAM role is hold on all DAG members servers, except the one with the PAM role.

- Yes and no. The member of DAG that hold PAM role, hold only this role. As say in the TechNet article, the server with the role of PAM also performs the functions of detect failures in databases and Information Store for itself. So if the computer detects any fault in databases, also will make the decision which is best copy of the database to activate.

I hope I was clear and answer your questions.

Greetings

Dario Woitasen MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration
    • Marked as answer by Dick Beddoe Friday, October 16, 2009 4:35 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Thanks for the help...  THat's what I thought was the case but i wanted someone else to confirm it...  Cheers,

Dick

dick
    Friday, October 16, 2009 4:36 PM
  • if i may jump in.  how does one manually move the PAM role to another node.  the technet article mentions moving PAM if you intend to bring that machine down, but i see nothing on how to do that.  cmdlet?  cluster manager? in ex2007, cluster manager let you move the active role.  i don't see that after building a DAG

thanks

sjw
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:55 PM
  • I believe you just use Failover Cluster manager and move the DAG object name to another node. It is very rare that you need to go into WFC manager, but this would be one of them.

Brian Day: MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA, MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration, Overall Exchange/AD Geek.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:15 PM
  • there is no way of moving the PAM from exchange. However you can do this from Exchange management shell as below

1. Import-Module Failoverclusters ( this will import the cluster module in the EMS)

2. Get-Clustergroup. ( see which node currently holds the Cluster group)

3. move-ClusterGroup "Cluster Group" -Node <targetnode>

this moves the Cluster group called "Cluster Group" to the target node in the DAG.

you can confirm this by openining Failover Cluster Manager console and click on the DAG name.

thanks

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Wow this was an old thread, from before I joined MSFT even! :)

Yes, moving the cluster group has to be done through PowerShell or cluster.exe.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Wow this was an old thread, from before I joined MSFT even! :)

Yes, moving the cluster group has to be done through PowerShell or cluster.exe.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Or rebooting the current owner :P

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:11 PM