none
Email Delivery is delayed.

Question

• Folks, 
    I am having a situation where a person is not able to send email to one particular domain and getting the below error .
    Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 7:32 PM
    To: Jon Bosco
    Subject: Delivery Delayed: Test Mail

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or distribution lists:

peter@abc.com

Subject: Test Mail

This message has not yet been delivered. Microsoft Exchange will continue to try delivering the message on your behalf. 

Delivery of this message will be attempted until 9/4/2011 3:24:45 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada). Microsoft Exchange will notify you if the message can't be delivered by that time.
    ----------------------------------
    I test from my site mean to say a server where i am located, mail is going through but i am not able to ping the domain name from my site . and one more thing as per the NDR - The delivery is not rejected it got delayed  so what could be the reason.
    Can you please let me know from where i should start the trouble shooting or what could be the issue for this ???  
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:45 AM

Answers

• Thanks Rowen and Rich for you valuable time, actually the issue was related to the DNS - DNS forwarder . As i mentioned there are two sites SITE A & SITE B from one(SITE A) i was able to send the mail and there were no delay, but from other site( SITE B) where the DNS is configured there were a delay and mails were not getting through .. so what i observed that On site B there were no DNS forwarder was set so for testing purpose we configured the PUBLIC DNS and tested and things were working so what i did, i SET the DNS entry as a forwarder on site B DNS server and then give a try , and it worked. 

Thanks again for your time. 

• Marked as answer by amit79 Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You may want to carry out message tracking (you can find in the toolbox) and see where the message is going.

Also, please check the queue viewer - do you see the message?

I am assuming this is an external recipient - How are you sending external mail are you using a smarthost?

Are you sure your exchange server is generating this message - if you use FOPE or other 3rd party these may generate these type of messages.

• Proposed as answer by GuruGaz Friday, November 22, 2013 8:52 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Issue is about the delayed email delivery so here is the scenario We have two locations one is APAC and US and on both the places edge server are configured so the issue is when an APAC user is sending mail to external domain like @ nordson.com then the email is getting through definitely EDGE server will be in use for the outbound delivery but at the same time when the users from US region definitely EDGE server are sending mail to that particular domain @ nordson.com the getting the below message it's not an NDR but users in US regions are saying that emails are not getting through. I checked the MX records as well found no issues so what all can be check to fix the issue. And whenever I am checking for MX records they are changing so is there any way can we check how many MX are configured for that particular domain. Or what all can we check to fix the issue.

Checked the message tracking/queue viewer and all are good but still message are not getting through. No we are not using any smart host. 

Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 7:32 PM

To: Jon Bosco

Subject: Delivery Delayed: Test Message

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or distribution lists:

test@nordson.com

Subject: Test Message

This message has not yet been delivered. Microsoft Exchange will continue to try delivering the message on your behalf.

Delivery of this message will be attempted until 9/4/2011 3:24:45 PM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada). Microsoft Exchange will notify you if the message can't be delivered by that time
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:22 PM
  • And the queues on the edge are not showing anything?

After mail leaves edge are you sending to smarthost, DNS or 3rd party to handle you mail?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:27 PM
  • No, directly to the internet...
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:45 PM
  • I guess if you can message track the message all they way out to the edge send connector that the mail may be delayed at the recipient.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:00 PM
  • guys any suggestions ???

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:15 PM
  • On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:22:27 +0000, amit79 wrote:

>
    >
    >Issue is about the delayed email delivery so here is the scenario We have two locations one is APAC and US and on both the places edge server are configured so the issue is when an APAC user is sending mail to external domain like @ nordson.com then the email is getting through definitely EDGE server will be in use for the outbound delivery but at the same time when the users from US region definitely EDGE server are sending mail to that particular domain @ nordson.com the getting the below message it's not an NDR but users in US regions are saying that emails are not getting through. I checked the MX records as well found no issues so what all can be check to fix the issue. And whenever I am checking for MX records they are changing so is there any way can we check how many MX are configured for that particular domain. Or what all can we check to fix the issue.

Have a look at the SMTP Send protocol logs on the edge server. When
    that machine tries to send a message to the domain nordson.com does
    the conversation end with a 4xx status code on the MAIL FROM or RCPT
    TO? Perhaps the IP address of the Edge server in the US is in a DNSBL?

>Checked the message tracking/queue viewer and all are good but still message are not getting through. No we are not using any smart host.

If the message is delayed then the message in in a delivery queue. If
    you don't find it in the queue viewer for the Edge server, check the
    queues on your hub transport servers. The message is in the retry
    state somewhere.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked that whether the mail was delivered even though there was a delay notification?

What's your exchange version? Please make it the latest update and test again.

Best Regards!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:20 AM
  • Hi , 

I sent test mail few days back buy today i received the below message and when i checked the header found below as mentioned so is anything can we get some help with the header info.. 

Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 AM
    To: Amit79
    Subject: Not read: Test Mail pls ignore it !!

Your message was deleted without being read on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56:11 AM (GMT+05:30) Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi

----------------------------------------------------------------- Header Info...

To: Amit 79 <Amit79@xyz.com>

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:26:11 -0400

Subject: Not read: Test Mail pls ignore it !!

Thread-Topic: Test Mail pls ignore it !!

Thread-Index: AcxyDZXuS2qdvT8/Ty2MUX4WX8JrFQGEWM9C

Message-ID: <A37C2C7286F5454D830AC89B3C12E920011A5909D52B@WESMSG51.nordsoncorp.local>

Accept-Language: en-US

Content-Language: en-US

X-MS-Has-Attach:

X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

Content-Type: multipart/report;

boundary="_000_A37C2C7286F5454D830AC89B3C12E920011A5909D52BWESMSG51nor_";

report-type=disposition-notification

MIME-Version: 1.0

Return-Path: test@nordson.com

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-PRD: nordson.com

Received-SPF: TempError (US1EDGE01.xyz.com: error in processing during

lookup of test@nordson.com: DNS timeout)

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-PCL: 2

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-Antispam-Report: DV:3.3.10520.479;SV:3.3.9010.377;SID:SenderIDStatus

TempError;OrigIP:216.82.253.243

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 0

X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SenderIdResult: TEMPERROR

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

Have you read my suggestion?

What's the feedback about it?

Thanks.

Best Regards!
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:16 AM
  • Hi Rowen

Have you checked that whether the mail was delivered even though there was a delay notification?

>> See when i sent the test mail to them then i got the below reply but today i got one more (2nd one)

Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:37 PM

To: Amit79

Subject: Relayed: Test Mail pls ignore it !!

Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but delivery notification was not sent by the destination:

Test@nordson.com

Subject: Test Mail pls ignore it !!

_____  

Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 

--------------------------------------------- 

But today i got the second one which i posted the first along with the header info.

What's your exchange version? Please make it the latest update and test again.

>> Exchange 2007 SP2 , will update the SP and Roll up but don;t think so that issue is with the updates.... any idea..

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:48 AM
  • On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 05:46:49 +0000, amit79 wrote:

>I sent test mail few days back buy today i received the below message and when i checked the header found below as mentioned so is anything can we get some help with the header info..
    >
    >
    >
    >From: test [mailto:test@nordson.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56 AM To: Amit79 Subject: Not read: Test Mail pls ignore it !!
    >
    >Your message was deleted without being read on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:56:11 AM (GMT+05:30) Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi

The message was delivered to the intended recipient and they deleted
    it. You asked for a "read receipt" so you got the notification that
    they just deleted the message without having read it.

The IP address in the message header belongs to
    mail171.messagelabs.com. That tells me that the message you sent left
    your Exchange server!

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:25 AM
  • On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 06:48:48 +0000, amit79 wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi Rowen
    >
    >
    >
    >Have you checked that whether the mail was delivered even though there was a delay notification?
    >
    >>> See when i sent the test mail to them then i got the below reply but today i got one more (2nd one)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >From: Microsoft Exchange
    >
    >Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:37 PM
    >
    >To: Amit79
    >
    >Subject: Relayed: Test Mail pls ignore it !!
    >
    >Delivery to these recipients or distribution lists is complete, but delivery notification was not sent by the destination:

One of the MTAs betwee your Exchange server and the destination server
    doesn't offer to send DSNs. Since you asked for a "delivery receipt"
    you've been informed that no DSN will be sent by any server to infrom
    you that the message was delivered.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Thanks Rowen and Rich for you valuable time, actually the issue was related to the DNS - DNS forwarder . As i mentioned there are two sites SITE A & SITE B from one(SITE A) i was able to send the mail and there were no delay, but from other site( SITE B) where the DNS is configured there were a delay and mails were not getting through .. so what i observed that On site B there were no DNS forwarder was set so for testing purpose we configured the PUBLIC DNS and tested and things were working so what i did, i SET the DNS entry as a forwarder on site B DNS server and then give a try , and it worked. 

Thanks again for your time. 

• Marked as answer by amit79 Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:26 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hi guys.

My problem is like this, the only difference is:

My domain is arturo-latam.com and cannot send email to arturo.com

I can send email to everyone, except this domain.

I have exchange server 2010, i did a lot of configurations but the problem persist. DNS Forward ok, query of mx record is ok,

When i send an email from someone@arturo.latam.com to someone@arturo.com, the message always is in queue, after two days exchange says

#550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired; message expired ## 

When i send an email from someone@arturo.com to someone@arturo-latam.com, after two days exchange says.

#< #5.0.0 smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout' (delivery attempts: 0)> #SMTP#

Can you help me ??

thanks.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:50 PM
  • On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:50:56 +0000, Kouch wrote:

>My problem is like this, the only difference is:
    >
    >My domain is arturo-latam.com and cannot send email to arturo.com
    >
    >I can send email to everyone, except this domain.
    >
    >I have exchange server 2010, i did a lot of configurations but the problem persist. DNS Forward ok, query of mx record is ok,
    >
    >
    >
    >When i send an email from someone@arturo.latam.com to someone@arturo.com, the message always is in queue, after two days exchange says
    >
    >#550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired; message expired ##
    >
    >When i send an email from someone@arturo.com to someone@arturo-latam.com, after two days exchange says.
    >
    >#< #5.0.0 smtp; 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout' (delivery attempts: 0)> #SMTP#
    >
    >Can you help me ??

The domain arturo.com uses a SMTP server that employs greylisting.
    Perhaps your server doesn't wait long enough before retrying the
    delivery? Or waits too long?

The SMTP Send protocol log will have the information.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:52 PM