none
Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service stopped (No update installed)

Question

• On one of my Mailbox server in Exchange 2013 environment, content indexing of databases are in failed state when i
     trie to update the copy, it gave following error

Seeding of content index catalog for database 'DB01' failed. Please verify that the Microsoft Search (Exchange)
     and the Host Controller service for Exchange services are running and try the operation again.
     Error: Could not connect to net.tcp://localhost:3863/Management/SeedingAgent-C44152F8-454F-427E-8B36-DAF6D69470B512/Single.
     The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:02.0937789. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be
     made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3863. .

Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service is stopped. When i start it it stops automatically within 2,3 seconds creating following event in event log

Application: hostcontrollerservice.exe
     Framework Version: v4.0.30319
     Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
     Exception Info: Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.Controller.HostControllerException
     Stack:
        at Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.WcfServer.WcfService.StartService()
        at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
        at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
        at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
        at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event ID: 1026  Source: .NET Runtime

Faulting application name: hostcontrollerservice.exe, version: 15.0.4454.1006, time stamp: 0x50d08ef5
     Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988aa6
     Exception code: 0xe0434352
     Fault offset: 0x000000000003811c
     Faulting process id: 0x33e8
     Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9a4da2389bd1
     Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\hostcontrollerservice.exe
     Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
     Report Id: e322e222-0640-11e3-941e-00155d175b25
     Faulting package full name:
     Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event ID: 1000  Source: Application

I Didn't install Update 2874216

Regards

Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:51 PM

Answers

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data\Nodes\Fsis\ContentEngineNode1\Configuration\Local\

Node.ini file was empty ...causing noderunner.exe process not to run and thus host controller service gets stopped

copied and replaced from another healthy node and restarted the servers

there are total 4 processes of noderunner running on healthy node

Now Service is running fine and we can see 4 processes of node runner in task manager

• Marked as answer by usman siddiqui Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:00 AM

All replies

• On one of my Mailbox server in Exchange 2013 environment, content indexing of databases are in failed state when i
    trie to update the copy, it gave following error

Seeding of content index catalog for database 'DB01' failed. Please verify that the Microsoft Search (Exchange)
    and the Host Controller service for Exchange services are running and try the operation again.
    Error: Could not connect to net.tcp://localhost:3863/Management/SeedingAgent-C44152F8-454F-427E-8B36-DAF6D69470B512/Single.
    The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:02.0937789. TCP error code 10061: No connection could be
    made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:3863. .

Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service is stopped. When i start it it stops automatically within 2,3 seconds creating following event in event log

Application: hostcontrollerservice.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.Controller.HostControllerException
    Stack:
       at Microsoft.Ceres.HostController.WcfServer.WcfService.StartService()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event ID: 1026  Source: .NET Runtime

Faulting application name: hostcontrollerservice.exe, version: 15.0.4454.1006, time stamp: 0x50d08ef5
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16451, time stamp: 0x50988aa6
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003811c
    Faulting process id: 0x33e8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9a4da2389bd1
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\hostcontrollerservice.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: e322e222-0640-11e3-941e-00155d175b25
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Event ID: 1000  Source: Application

I Didn't install Update 2874216

Regards
    Friday, August 16, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Did you install the latest security update that got pulled out?

When did this start? Does a restart of the server fix the issue?

http://howexchangeworks.com/2013/08/exchange-2013-security-update-ms13-061-and-the-teams-frankness.html

Rajith Enchiparambil | http://www.howexchangeworks.com |

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Friday, August 16, 2013 10:37 AM
  • No this security update is KB 2874216 and i didin't install it. name of service is same and registery settings are still there. It's been happening since 4 to 5 days
    Friday, August 16, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

On internal server roles, this service is dependent upon the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service.

I recommend you restart the AD topology service to check the result.

If the symptom persists, please verify that the Microsoft Exchange Service Host Service has the Log On As Local System Account.

Also check to see whether the SACL right is present.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:04 AM
  • Restarted AD Topology service, restarted the server and checked the rights...but still problem remains...the service starts for a moment and then it stops so i think it sould not be a problem with rights
    Monday, August 19, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Do you have CU2 V2 installed?

Is the Exchange Health Manager service running?

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:20 AM
  • Anything useful in the event viewer?

HowExchangeWorks.Com

Monday, August 19, 2013 11:21 AM
  • No, CU1 is intalled but no CU2, Health manager service is running
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Events listed above
    Monday, August 19, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Are you sure MS13-061 is not installed?

I just had the exact same issue and resolved it by following the guidelines in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2879739/sv

• Proposed as answer by phaze75 Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:48 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

The issue may occurs when your firewall is blocking the port 3863.

Please make sure the port 3863 is opened on firewall.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Yes sure about update not installed. You probably had not the exact same issue because in my case

Service is still there. Its name is not changed

Registry entries are still there

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Firewall is off for the server
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

I recommend you check if there is any other related errors in application log.

Is it possible that you can provide the result here?

Best regards,
    Belinda

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Usman, I am having the exact same problem as yourself.

We've just upgraded from exch 07. Everything seemed to go fine, all migrated over then I noticed the search host controller was stopped one day. I restarted it, and it stopped again. I get the same error as you...it is driving me mad! Have you been able to resolve your issue?

Windows firewall is off, I've added the group, we installed CU2 from scratch.

Anyone have anything?

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:38 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem and here is the solution provided by microsoft support. 

Sorry this is in french :s

1-      => Arrêter les services Microsoft Exchange Search et Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller.

2-     =>  Modifier dans le fichier installconfig se trouvant dans C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer (faire une copie avant du fichier):

1. $script:baseport = 3800

3-      => Déplacer le contenu du répertoire C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data\Nodes\Fsis dans un sous répertoire Backup.

4-      => Dans une console powershell Exchange, vous placez dans le répertoire C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Installer

5-     =>  Lancer la commande .\installconfig.ps1 -action I -datafolder "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data"

6-      => Redémarrer les services Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller puis Microsoft Exchange Search.

Good luck

• Proposed as answer by StartNeverStop Wednesday, July 02, 2014 1:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 11:57 AM
  • Incredibly that worked!

My DAG is going crazy at the moment updating the indexes on the broken exchange server. Thank you so much! What a pain in the ass that was.

For people like me who need Google to translate above:

Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search service and Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller (this one probably already is).

Edit the file installconfig located in C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft \ Exchange Server \ V15 \ Bin \ Search \ Ceres \ Installer (make a copy of the file before)

$ script:baseport = 3800

Move the contents of the directory C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft \ Exchange Server \ V15 \ Bin \ Search \ Ceres \ Hostcontroller \ Data \ Nodes \ FSIS as a backup directory.

In an Exchange powershell console, go to C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft \ Exchange Server \ V15 \ Bin \ Search \ Ceres \ Installer

run the command -  .\installconfig.ps1 -action i -datafolder "c: \Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\Hostcontroller\Data".

Restart the Microsoft Exchange Service Host Controller Search and Microsoft Exchange Search.

• Proposed as answer by StartNeverStop Wednesday, July 02, 2014 1:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 03, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thanks so much, stevesalmon!

I ran into an error when running the installconfig script at the end though, maybe because I backed up Fsis to the same directory as Fsis~original, and then cleared out the Fsis folder.

Script execution failed. Please inspect the log file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\Search\Ceres\Installer\log\PostSetup_install_20130920105110.log" for more details.
    Error occurred while configuring Search Foundation for Exchange.System.ServiceModel.FaultException: Node start failed[System = Fsis, Node = AdminNode1] [Cause: A node installation is not available at C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data\Nodes\Fsis\AdminNode1]

I ended up running the following:

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\Search\Ceres\Installer>.\installconfig.ps1 -action u -dataFolder 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data'
    Uninstalling configuration of Search Foundation for Exchange...
    Uninstallation complete
    [PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\Search\Ceres\Installer>.\installconfig.ps1 -action i -dataFolder 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data'
    Configuring Search Foundation for Exchange....
    Successfully configured Search Foundation for Exchange

Friday, September 20, 2013 3:58 PM
  • C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\Search\Ceres\HostController\Data\Nodes\Fsis\ContentEngineNode1\Configuration\Local\

Node.ini file was empty ...causing noderunner.exe process not to run and thus host controller service gets stopped

copied and replaced from another healthy node and restarted the servers

there are total 4 processes of noderunner running on healthy node

Now Service is running fine and we can see 4 processes of node runner in task manager

• Marked as answer by usman siddiqui Thursday, November 28, 2013 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:00 AM
  • finally i found a solution to this problem. thanks gregdis for your answer and thanks to stevesalmon for translating your answer and share it with others.
    Wednesday, July 02, 2014 1:12 PM