none
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Question

• When I try to get to OWA from the Win 2003 Exchange Server by typing:

https://servername/exchange

I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". This was working at one time and I am at a loss as to how to get it to work again. I have double checked all kinds of settings in IIS and I am at a loss as to where to go now. I also installed owaadmin and I get the exact same message when I try to connect with that tool. I need a direction to solve this problem.

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:25 PM

All replies

• I am having this exact problem.  I found that if I take the 128-bit ssl encryption off of the exchange virtual directory under my default website, OWA will work without the forms based authentication.  But as soon as I put it back on I am back to where I was before.  I have double checked all my settings in IIS, exchange, and everywhere else that could possibly affect this and have found nothing.  Any help would be appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by jim.marsh1 Saturday, October 23, 2010 6:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:42 AM
  • Im looking at the same error here. If i take out the 128-bit ssl ecryption the http://servername/owa is working fine. Would really appreciate some help here. But im using via Exchange 2007. The https://servername/owa was working just fine yesterday and suddenly is not working today.

Please advice!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:46 AM
  • I too am having the same problem.  Everything was fine this morning until Microsoft forced a restart of my Dell E1405 laptop after they installed some updates.  After that IE7 cannot display any web pages, Windows Mail reports "the connection to the server has failed", and a ping to a known good web site continues to time out.  I know I have access to the internet since I am able to post this message from another PC on the same home network.  I also know it's not the wireless connection to my laptop after I hard wired it to the router and had the same problem.  Also Windows Nework Diagnostics "did not find any problems with this network's connection"  I suspect the updates have fouled up a setting somewhere, and I have no idea where to go to fix it.

If it helps to diagnose my problem the following updates were installed:

• KB929123  Cumulative update to Outlook Express
    • KB934391  Office 2007 update
    • KB890830  Malicious Software Removal June 2007
    • KB936825  Vista update
    • KB905866  Junk mail filter update
    • KB933566  Cumulative update to IE7
    • KB931213  Security update to Vista

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:30 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem here, but not only with the exchange pages, my laptop won't display any webpages! Outlook says Exchange is not available (while I can take over the server using remote desktop) and there are no webpages which my laptop can show, while my Windows Live Messenger seems to be running smoothly.

It worked before, but after a few updates, it just stopped...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by Karl8511 Saturday, August 29, 2009 1:16 PM
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:46 AM
  • I am having exactly the same problem. It must be something to do with a Msoft automatic update. I haven't changed anything on my PC. It was working  perfectly ok  a few days ago, now I can't use IE7 at all. Have been looking through various forums for an answer - but  haven't spotted  anything so far. Hoping someone will provide an answer to this thread.

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:52 PM
  • My problem was resolved when I logged in as administrator and responded to the issues presented by Norton and Vista that resulted from Microsoft's automatic update.

While logged in without admin privileges these issues were not annunciated.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:05 PM
  • The solution that worked for me was to uninstall PowerPoint.
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:18 PM
  • Did you ever resolve this issue?  I am working on a friend's PC and he is having the same problem.  I have looked at everything and cannot find a solution.  Thanks!
    Monday, July 02, 2007 6:25 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I cannot get any webpages to show and I had the following updates auto install within the last few days:

KB939840
      KB933566

KB929123
      KB935839

If I delete KB933566 update for IE7 then I can access the internet fine.  Anyone have a solution?  Every time I delete it through the add/remove programs, it comes back the next day with the auto updates.  I hate to turn auto updates off, but this is crazy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:07 AM
  • I found a solution to my problem.  The issue was with the McAfee suite of products.  I rolled back to a system restore point before the problem began and as soon as the McAfee updates were applied IE stopped working.  I removed the McAfee suite, applied all of the patches and everything is working fine now.  I don't know if others are running the McAfee suite but this is the solution that I found that worked for me.
    Friday, July 06, 2007 1:39 AM
  • My problems occurred while I was logged in as a non-admin user on the PC.  When I logged into the administrator account I was given options to accept some of the recent updates.  After that everything went back to normal.  My issue is that nothing was annunciated to the non-admin user that would direct him to log in as an admin.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 1:03 PM
  • Had the same problem with my new vista loaded laptop. Had to uninstall the latest updates and reboot to fix it.

I think we can either wait for cumilative update for IE from windows update or uninstall the latest updates installed to resolve the issue.

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:58 AM
  • I had exactly the same problem after last night updates from Windows updates as listed from another user.  Then I could not connect to Internet at all even the IE 7 diagnotic indicated that I do not have any connection problem from my home network and to the internet.  I tried to restore to pre-update and still could not.  Finally, I changed the user from standard user to admin and I was able to connect to Internet without problem.  I found this solution out by log on as admin and I could connect to Internet without problem.  therefore, I changed the user profile from standard to admin and solved this problem temporately.  i would still like to find out how can I still be a standard USER and get to Internet? 

Friday, December 14, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Very similar problems here.

Vista Premium on a new laptop.

Connection to Internet via wireless ASDL modem/router.

All other computers on network fine.

This laptop connects and displays pages perfectly in Admin User but will not from standard user.

Anyone hazzard a guess as to why?

Cheers

David
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 7:24 PM
  • I ran into this same problem with my daughter's computer. Couldn't get to the web using any browser, but still could access msn, and other applications. The Microsoft locations for debug helped, but did not resolve the issue. The two web sites were:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/926431

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

I was able to actually open a browser in safe mode, but disabling all services and/or startups still did not track it down.

At a whim, disabled her Norton antivirus software, and low and behold.... started working (not sure why it started doing this, or what is causing the failure with the interaction).

Monday, March 03, 2008 10:25 PM
  •  

take a look at this web page

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1197337958

refers to changing internet explorer settings

I used this tonight after having issues with vista using our public library web site.

here is a cut and paste from part of the referenced web page........

Eventually I went to Control Panel>Network & Internet>Internet Options>Advanced>,
    and scrolled down a long list until I found "security settings," and I UNCHECKED
    these 3 boxes:
    check for publisher's certificate revocations
    check for server certificate revocations
    enable intergrated Windows authentication

It worked.  Immediately. I hope it works for you. 

• Proposed as answer by Lizeth92 Friday, December 24, 2010 7:41 PM
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Isattle.

This Vista OWA issue has been giving me grief as well. I tried your suggestion and it worked immediately.

Many thanks. 

Sunday, April 06, 2008 8:26 AM
  • Hello,
    I have the similar problem. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2 and ADSL 128. When i udpdate Internet explorer 6 to Internet explorer 7, i received " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Network Diagnostics shows no connection problem and i can still using my FireFox , Messenger and so on. And i can browse FTP sites by IE7. Only  HTTP sites  gives that  error.  In addition, i write an application by DELPHI that uses IE for surfing web, and this working too !
    Anybody can kindly help me to resolve this problem ? I'll be so thankful.
                                                          Sincerely - Fameli

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:35 AM
  • I have had this problem for about a year. Seems everyone has it. Initially everything works until I start to view a lot of photos, then many or all are not visible. Then I can't even get to Google. If I close my internet connection then reopen it, it will work for a while. Sometimes get Stack overflow error. Will someone with experience please answer this? Microsoft won't. It's been going on for a long while now.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Explain to me were to go so can disable.

(128-bit ssl encryption off )
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Hi, I am really in a hurry, but I hope this will help some of you. I copy and paste from my own notes:

SUBJECT:              enable higher level of encryption using 3DES for both IP and EFS.

SOLUTION:          a) run mmc.exe -> File -> Add/remove Snap-in -> Add -> Group Policy -> Add -> Finish -> Close -> OK.

b) expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options.

c) enable System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.

WARNING:           enabling this setting can occasionally prevent Internet Explorer from being able to open some https pages, and can generate in Internet Explorer the following message: “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”.

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 4:28 PM
  • To solve that problem; You need to create a CName on the webserver in DNS.

The CName for domain and  alias.
    www and htttp are realy aliases but you can also have other aliases like I have

the domain name is nymaritime.org and an alias to that is design so that makes the site http://design.nymaritime.org

Now 'design' has to be specified as a CName or else won't work.

Every other year I run into this problem and takes me while to remember.

This should help.

Now to create CName you have to go to DNS and Forward Lookup Zone.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 12:28 AM
  • Reassuring to hear we're not alone in encountering this problem.  Ran into it for the first time about a week ago and nothing we've tried has worked.  The oddity is that A) we run excruciatingly basic, Luddite-level software (don't laugh at us!), and B) it's just one group of pages on one website that we've visited almost daily for years which suddenly can't be accessed. 

This is very white-bread, vanilla, Websurfing 101 stuff we're doing.  Had been using IE 6.0.  Checked the site on NetScape 7.1 and found the site completely active and up to date.  Tried all the Microsoft recommendations for resolving the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" problem when trying to visit the site -- still could not raise site.  Shut down all firewall/antivirus/anti-spyware programs -- still nothing.  Tried System Restore to date site was last accessible on IE 6.0 -- still nothing.  Downloaded and upgraded to IE 7.0 -- still nothing.  Tried AOL IE browser knock-off and found same problem there too, so tried AOL Live Help and got boilerplate recommendations, most of which we'd already tried, plus some AOL tweaks -- still nothing.  Tried tweaks suggested here by Isalittle (above) which evidently worked for a few people -- for us, still nothing. 

It's rather maddening.  Error message occurs whether the problem site is the first one we vist or the hundredth,  Again, it's this one group of pages only

[ e.g., http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jsp?forum=83 or any other ?forum= number],

the rest of the pages on the site load up fine and no other website is producing the error message.  Anyone have any other ideas? 

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:36 AM
  • It seems I have the same or close to the same problem,  I have web sites that I visit on a regular basis and some maybe once a week. then all of a sudden I get this dang message on a site I KNOW is working and I KNOW my connetion is working do to the simple fact I am sending this message.  I also have firefox loaded and I can go to the same website thur this explorer. "WINDOWS updates seem to be the MAIN problem, but I have not been able to find the one that is crippling me, so I have turned off my auto update many months ago. 

here is my Problem,  I can be online with one page, last night I pulled up say "Netflix". no prob. this morning I come down to check my email, no problem, with my fav. tab I try to get to "Netflix" and I get this darn error. I can goto any other sites, but not netflix, so I pull up the firefox browser and low and behold I can get to  the site.......    I don't  like  firefox enough to  switch but  IE7 is really becoming a pain!!!!!!!  I have lost other sites as well. ( banking, forums, ect..   ) just a few at a time. and I am afraid I will loss access to other sites i really need...   can anyone please help ?????????? and someone tell me why are the UPDATES that windows send seem to be more harmful than helpful..   I have a fairly fast computer but it really slowed down when I let the pdates perform..  that is why I shut them down and tried to remove alot of them, fixed some of my performance but not where it used to be.....

Tim
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:36 PM
  • whenever i open a new tab or window on IE, a page that says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" comes up. this sometimes happens randomly too, not just when i open new tabs. i just downloaded IE7 a couple weeks ago, but i've been having this problem for probably about a month now. i've tried scanning my system with programs like AVG and CCleaner, http://www.study-aids.co.uk but they don't seem to be doing much. i had some spyware on my computer a couple months ago, and i thought i got rid of it.. but do you think my problem could have anything to do with that? if anyone knows how to fix this,

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:39 PM
  • Disabling / uninstalling Norton did the trick for me as well on a user's PC. There is a 'web' component in the Norton INternet Security suite that I suspect is causing the issue. No patches or updates were available for Norton at the time of this fix that I am aware. Good fix, thanks for the posting...
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:16 AM
  • lsattle,

I was having this exact problem on a brand new Dell desktop.  Took your suggestion and not only did the "Internet Explorer cannot display webpage" nonsense stop immediately, the computer seems to be loading pages even faster now.  Thanks a ton.

• Proposed as answer by Idan Vexler Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:49 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:15 AM
    • Proposed as answer by girarar Friday, April 24, 2009 8:04 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 8:04 PM
  •  

take a look at this web page

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1197337958

refers to changing internet explorer settings

I used this tonight after having issues with vista using our public library web site.

here is a cut and paste from part of the referenced web page........

Eventually I went to Control Panel>Network & Internet>Internet Options>Advanced>,
    and scrolled down a long list until I found "security settings," and I UNCHECKED
    these 3 boxes:

Thanks Isattle. this really help

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:29 AM
  • I am now experiencing the same issues with every one of my web browsers (explorer, firefox, chrome).  My internet is connected and I can login to skype and other instant messaging services.  I've tried all of the suggestions above, but nothing is working (and at this point, it is driving me crazy).  And other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Saturday, October 03, 2009 11:14 PM

www.mibank.com

I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". This was working at one time and I am at a loss as to how to get it to work again. I have double checked all kinds of settings in IIS and I am at a loss as to where to go now. I also installed owaadmin and I get the exact same message when I try to connect with that tool. I need a direction to solve this problem.

• Proposed as answer by Oscar Heubel Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:22 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 4:21 AM
  • I too have tried everything above.  All I can view is a MSN and yahoo.  don't even think about navigating away from those pages.  firefox is dead to.  Since I've tried everything and I promised a friend that I'd get this thing running for them, I think it's time to go drastic.  Unload all personal documents and reinstall XP.  then I'll go straight to IE8 update.  Can't even get to the update center with the current settings.  
    if this proves to be a success I'll let you know.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:34 PM
  • thanks so much for the suggestion.  I took my computer to Best Buy and they told me it will cost $200 and 20 days to fix it.  So i just uninstalled my Norton and it worked!!  now i have everything back working.  thanks so much!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 5:51 AM
  • Isattle it was your suggestion to uncheck,

It worked perfectly and the web pages are flowing. Thank you so much. I'm sorry I thought it was someone else who suggested this. I want to give you total for it. I'm now a happy camper. Thank you so much

Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi,  I need the same help with the interent explorer  If anyone can help me please do so.  Normndonna@verizon.net  Donna DeVilbiss  Thank you so much!!!!!
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 1:15 AM

https://servername/exchange

Saturday, August 07, 2010 8:54 AM
  • Thank you so much.

I had that same problem for months, I used to turn off the computer and restart it,  sometimes it worked but most of the time gave me the internet explorer cannot display the webpage.

Since I did what you told, my computer works and is even faster.

Thank you.

Here is what isattle recomended

these 3 boxes:

Friday, December 24, 2010 7:48 PM
  • I have had this problem for about a month. I did what isattle recomended and it didn't work.

I can surf using different tabs with no problems. If I let it set on desk all day and come back to it to continue, whether I use a different tab or not, it will display the dreaded internet explorer cannot display the webpage. I then have to shut down and start-up. Very annoying. I will continue trying other "fixes". If I find it I will return.

• Proposed as answer by drystone01 Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:11 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Hi robertd50

I had the same problem for about a week, with IE8, running XP SP3. Yesterday went into connection settings, unticked "use a proxy server with this connection" and the problem was solved. Maybe you can try this. Hope it helps

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Method 1: Reset the modem or the router

1.      Disconnect the cable that connects the computer to the modem.

2.      Turn off the modem and the router.

Note: If the modem or the router does not have a power switch, disconnect the power to the modem or to the router.

3.      Restart the computer.

4.      After your computer has restarted, turn on the modem or the router, connect the cable from the computer to the modem or the router, and restart the computer.

5.      Make sure that all network cables are securely connected.

6.      Start Internet Explorer.

Method 2: Use the Delete Browsing History feature

If resetting the modem or the router did not resolve the problem, deleting your browsing history might help. Follow these steps to remove your temporary Internet files, history, and form data:

1.      Start Internet Explorer.

2.      Click the Safety button, and then click Delete Browsing History.

3.      Select the check box next to each category of information you want to delete.

4.      Select the Preserve Favorites website data check box if you do not want to delete the cookies and files associated with websites in your Favorites list.

5.      Click Delete. (This could take awhile if you have a lot of files and history.)

6.      Close Internet Explorer, start Internet Explorer again, and then try to access the Web page.

Method 3: Use the Delete Browsing History feature

1. Reset your IE Settings.

2. Restore Advanced Settings.

reference from: http://blog.teesupport.com/how-to-fix-internet-explorer-cannot-display-the-web-page/

Thursday, August 04, 2011 12:09 AM
  • I have Noticed with Windows running and the internet connected, i have a stable system. On most occations the internet cable or cabling  is unplugged, old cables with the plastic plug split in half. THE CABLES really UNPLUGGED. windows fixes itself well.  before adjusting the computer, doesnt work, hit the cables up yo.  troubleshooting cables, consider off/on on network things. an inbetween cable check or the middle of.  plan time so the cables get recheckecd.
    • Proposed as answer by Worship Monday, September 05, 2011 6:44 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:41 AM
  • There is a simple solution. Just press the following buttons:

Ctrl     Alt     Down Arrow

Monday, September 05, 2011 6:42 PM
  • This works for me!!! I uninstalled norton internet security and Now I am working online... great, thanks a lot for sharing solutions.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:01 AM
  • This issue is caused by 2 problems. First, the correct syntax is https://servername/OWA. The second cause is DNS not being able to resolve https://servername to it's corresponding IP address. For those of you who are getting this error when trying to access a webpage over the internet, check your computer's IP settings. You do this by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig and press enter. If you see that the DNS server address and the default gateway address are the same, entering the correct DNS addresses into your computer's IP configuration (Control Panel --> Network) will solve the problem. If you don't know and can't find your ISP's DNS server addresses, you can use OpenDNS. Their DNS server addresses are:

AT&T is one of the major offenders in trying to use the router to act as a DNS forwarder, instead of simply pushing out the real DNS addresses to the client computer as a part of the DHCP settings.

• Edited by VT Techie Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:58 AM update
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:28 AM
  • I just experienced the problem of ..."Cannot display webpage".... and none of the fixes I found worked until I stumbled onto this:

In IE, at the top of the page, select Tools/Internet Options/Connections, then go to the lower part of that window where you see "Lan Settings". Click that bar and you'll likely find that the box for "Use a proxy server......" has been checked. Un-check it. You should be off to the races.

I fought this for two days thinking it was everything from a virus to corrupt IE version, to Activex problems to not holding my mouth right. 'Hope it works for you.
    Thursday, February 09, 2012 8:56 PM
  • Dear ALL

i have the same problem i did lot of settings finally i have disabled my ESET AV

everything is back working, then i have uninstall and re-install the ESET

ie display pages ...........

working

rasa

RaSa

• Proposed as answer by Syed_R Friday, February 24, 2012 7:10 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Hi

internet explorer cannot display the webpage

I got this error msg when i was trying to connect to a local site.. can help?? address is begining  with https://202.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Dear,

If you try all above suggestions, try this

if you have an antivirus simply disabled it try, if not un-install AV and check if works re-install AV

i was having the similar problem i have solved that the culprit was corruot ESET

regards

RaSa

• Proposed as answer by Syed_R Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:00 AM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Hi 

Tks I`ll try this

Prasad

Thursday, March 01, 2012 5:42 AM
  • I have tried using a proxy server, deleting updates, unchecking boxes from the internet security section, etc.  I did as you instructed--unchecking the "Use a proxy server..."--and I am indeed "off to the races"! Thank you so much!

Kyr

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:57 AM
  • as i was solved by uninstalling AV then installing was my last weapon to resolve so you try the same

RaSa

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:49 AM