none
Second front-end exchange 2003 server stuck loading OWA

    Question

  • Installed 2nd Front-End Exchange 2003 server.

    To access OWA, I use IE (both v8 on XP and v9 on W7), I am type in 192.168.16.1/exchange and I am prompted for credentials. I type in credentials using <networkdomainname>/<username> then password, the result is that it prompts me again, but the URL this time changed to my back-end servers address. Entering the credentials gets me in, BUT OWA is stuck with "Loading" message where the meail body content would normally display.

    I access OWA using Firefox and I am able to connect just fine. Also, if I use IE to access OWA using the 1st Front-End server, all is fine.

    My back-end server is running Exchange 2003 Enterprise v6.5 with SP2 on Windows 2003 Enterprise w/ SP2 and it is RPC-HTTP back-end enabled.

    My first front-end server is running Exchange 2003 Enterprise v6.5 with SP2 on Windows 2003 Standard w/ SP2 and it is RPC-HTTP front-end enabled.

    My 2nd front-end server is running Exchange 2003 Enterprise v6.5 with SP2 on Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise w/ SP2 and "currently" RPC-HTTP is *not* enabled.

    The 1st front-end also has an SSL certificate, where the 2nd front-end "currently" does *not*.

    The goal is to have the 2nd front-end server working, so that RPC-HTTP front-end is enabled, and we install an SSL Cert. We want to have our remote users using RPC-HTTP on their Outlook to be configured to connect to the 2nd front-end, while company Executives connect to the 1st front-end.

    To add the 2nd front-end server, here's what we have done so far: installed W2003 R2 Enterpise with all updates including SP2 > added windows components NNTP, SMTP, WWW and ASP.NET which are all pre-requisities to installing Exchange > run pre-requisite tools for Exchanged and everything passed > installed Exchange 2003 Enteprise > change the server setting to be a front-end server...this is where we are right now since we cannot figure out why OWA will not load properly on IE 8 or IE 9 (but fine on firefox).

    Before we continue, we want to make sure we have configured the server(s) properly before moving forward with enabling RPC-HTTP, installing SSL Cert, making DNS entires and creating necessary website header entries.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Thx, ~m

    Friday, May 20, 2011 8:02 PM

Answers

  • In my last post, I mentioned everything was working fine, except when I try to logon using "Premium Client" on the OWA login web page. When I logon using that option, I would get the "loading" message and OWA never fully comes up.

    This was all solved yesterday, there were 6 related Exchange updates based off KBs that we needed to apply. In our haste, we installed Exchange SP but forgot to check afterwards if there are any other Microsoft Exchange related updates that needed to be applied. Once we applied those updates, everything worked fine.

    To answer some of your question, permissions are correct, there wer no event log related entries that would suggest an issue.

    ~m

    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, May 27, 2011 1:38 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:49 PM

All replies

  • Progress Status...

    We are making progress...First, we loaded OwaLogin, so the login page gave us option to either use Premium or Basic client. When using IE, choosing Basic client allowed us to login and see the OWA page properly. However, Premium client shows the same issue with "loading" message and not displaying the OWA page. So, we still need help with this one.

    In the meantime, we felt comfortable enough to enable RPC-HTTP as well as install the SSL cert. All this is good.

    Looks like with a little more time, research and some help from you folks we can take care of the Premium client issue.

    ~m

    Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:13 AM
  • So, currently, the RPC Over HTTP is working well on the 2<sup>nd</sup> FE server, right?

    Quote: “it prompts me again, but the URL this time changed to my back-end servers address. Entering the credentials gets me in, BUT OWA is stuck with "Loading" message where the meail body content would normally display”

    For the OWA issue, does the symptom still the same as above?

    I assume the authentications and authorization settings of the virtual directory are identical across two FE servers, right?

    Is there any related event in the application log or IIS log on the FE and BE server?

    Please check the suggestions and KBs in the threads below, see if it helps

    Outlook Web Access stuck at Loading...


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:23 AM
  • In my last post, I mentioned everything was working fine, except when I try to logon using "Premium Client" on the OWA login web page. When I logon using that option, I would get the "loading" message and OWA never fully comes up.

    This was all solved yesterday, there were 6 related Exchange updates based off KBs that we needed to apply. In our haste, we installed Exchange SP but forgot to check afterwards if there are any other Microsoft Exchange related updates that needed to be applied. Once we applied those updates, everything worked fine.

    To answer some of your question, permissions are correct, there wer no event log related entries that would suggest an issue.

    ~m

    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Friday, May 27, 2011 1:38 AM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:49 PM