none
exchange 2010 backup on a dedicated network

Question

• Hi,

i would like to backup my DAG trough a dedicated network instead of MAPI network.

I'm using backupexec 2010 R3. I tryed to set the backup ip of the nodes in the hosts file, unsuccessfully unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

Regards

MB

MB
    Friday, December 09, 2011 9:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I had the same problem and managed to solve this. It is quite simple. but several questions. 

1. Is your DAG in more than one datacenters?
    2. If yes, is your backup network in the same subnet across datacenters?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If second is  true, you are the lucky one and solution is:

Example: Node1 (Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.2/24, Node2-Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.1/24, BE media server Prod:10.0.0.3,Bck:192.168.1.3/24)

• Manage Backup Exec agents to publish themselves using both prod and bck networks to Media Server (Agent will be set to publish to the following media server(s): 10.0.0.3,192.168.1.3 and set time of refresh to short one (for example 5 minutes so you dont have to wait for 4 hours (240 minute default)
    • In the job properties go to Network TAB and select:
    • Interface to take backup to BCK (your name of backup interface)
    • CHANGE Use any available subnet to bck network: 192.168.1.0/24 (if you leave to chose any available subnet, it will go through production network  - I dont know officially why, but I think it is because of priority - metrics of mapi network, which should be prioritised as first (biggest priority) in DAG)
    • Mark TICK BOX use ant available interface for agents not bound to the selected .... (otherwidse job fails)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2: Node1 (Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.1/24, Node2-Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.2.1/24, BE media server Prod:10.0.0.3,Bck:192.168.1.3/24)

If the second is false ( you have 2 subnets on backup network, it depends on the activation of databases and selected node to take backup from. Then you should use previous solution, BUT you must be sure, that backup is taken from the node, which has bck subnet defined above directly connected to its network cards. Otherwise it will use production as the first and only available subnet.

• So if you used the same solution as in case 1 and you do backup from Node 1, it is on the same subnet so backup goes through BCK network
    • If you do backup from Node2, it is another subnet, so it will use production subnet, because bck subnet defined in the job is different and production has bigger priority.

if any, please contact me at zbynek.salon@salonovi.cz

Regards

Zbyněk
    • Marked as answer by maxbubuz Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:45 PM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Max,

please refer to this step-by-step guide to implement da dedicated backup network:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/timmcmic/archive/2011/10/25/exchange-2010-implementing-a-dedicated-backup-network-for-a-database-availability-group.aspx

Regards,

Chris

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Exactly what i tried but it seems not to work for backupexec.

MB
    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:00 AM
  • Hi Max,

I just have seen your comment in the blog article.

It's hard to recognize your problem if you just say "it seems not to work".

Could you please exactly describe what's your problem / what's not working / errors etc...

Regards,

Chris

Friday, December 09, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Hi,

the backup traphic is flowing trought the MAPI network, but if i ping every nodes by name (or FQDN), it respond from the backup network.

So i suppose the hosts file is correct but backupexec isn't using it.

MB
    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

what about routing? If you use tracert to the hosts (from BackupExec server) which interfaces will be used?

Probably you need to set host routes on the BE and EX servers' backup interfaces.

Regards,

Chris

Friday, December 09, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

the tracert is correct. It's respond directly from the backup network.

The backup network is without gateway.

I think that backupexec is ignorig the hosts file; instead it's using DNS resolution, directly.

MB

MB
    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

if BE is ignoring the host file, what about creating a new A record in DNS for the EX server with the backup networks IP?

Than point BE to backup the "new" DNS name.

Regards,

Chris

Friday, December 09, 2011 10:39 AM
  • BackupExec can be pointed to only a dag ip / dns records, because it comes from exploration of AD objects.

I have already created a zone in my internal DNS backup (. Bck). So I can point to my servers in the network backup (myserver.bck), but BackupExec does not allow you to connect directly to nod. He needs to explore the topology of the mailbox store.

MB
    • Edited by maxbubuz Friday, December 09, 2011 7:19 PM
    Friday, December 09, 2011 10:44 AM
  • any help?
    MB
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:52 AM
  • I havent used backup exec in a while, I belive there was a setting in Backup Exec to use a particular network when running backup, have you checked that?
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

this is correct, but in this case i need to use the MAPI network because backupexec need to connect to the DAG ip and collect the malbox topology. So the trick of changing the nodes ip in the hosts file is smart, but not for backupexec.

MB
    Monday, December 12, 2011 9:41 PM
  • any idea?

MB
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem and managed to solve this. It is quite simple. but several questions. 

1. Is your DAG in more than one datacenters?
    2. If yes, is your backup network in the same subnet across datacenters?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If second is  true, you are the lucky one and solution is:

Example: Node1 (Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.2/24, Node2-Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.1/24, BE media server Prod:10.0.0.3,Bck:192.168.1.3/24)

• Manage Backup Exec agents to publish themselves using both prod and bck networks to Media Server (Agent will be set to publish to the following media server(s): 10.0.0.3,192.168.1.3 and set time of refresh to short one (for example 5 minutes so you dont have to wait for 4 hours (240 minute default)
    • In the job properties go to Network TAB and select:
    • Interface to take backup to BCK (your name of backup interface)
    • CHANGE Use any available subnet to bck network: 192.168.1.0/24 (if you leave to chose any available subnet, it will go through production network  - I dont know officially why, but I think it is because of priority - metrics of mapi network, which should be prioritised as first (biggest priority) in DAG)
    • Mark TICK BOX use ant available interface for agents not bound to the selected .... (otherwidse job fails)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Example 2: Node1 (Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.1.1/24, Node2-Prod:10.0.0.1,Bck:192.168.2.1/24, BE media server Prod:10.0.0.3,Bck:192.168.1.3/24)

If the second is false ( you have 2 subnets on backup network, it depends on the activation of databases and selected node to take backup from. Then you should use previous solution, BUT you must be sure, that backup is taken from the node, which has bck subnet defined above directly connected to its network cards. Otherwise it will use production as the first and only available subnet.

• So if you used the same solution as in case 1 and you do backup from Node 1, it is on the same subnet so backup goes through BCK network
    • If you do backup from Node2, it is another subnet, so it will use production subnet, because bck subnet defined in the job is different and production has bigger priority.

if any, please contact me at zbynek.salon@salonovi.cz

Regards

Zbyněk
    • Marked as answer by maxbubuz Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:45 PM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Thanks.

This was helpfull.

I have a DAG in two datacenter and i have 2 different backup networks (both withput gateway).

Lukily, in the secondary datacenter i don't have any db to bakcup, so i use preferred server in site 1 for backup from passive node.

MB
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:49 PM