none
User unknown in virtual alias table

Question

•  

Ok, new problem popped up today.

In Exchange 2003, we are experiancing a weird problem.

I can email one of our employees by directly emailing user@ourdomain.com.

But for what ever reason, we can not do a reply from an email from this user.

When we do a reply, we get the following error back

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

<ourdomain.com #5.1.1 smtp;550 5.1.1 user@ourdomain.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table>

Anyone have any suggestions besides deleting this user's account and re-creating it?

His account has been fine for years until now.  No configuration changes have been made to the system lately so i'm unsure of what could have happened.

Thursday, March 29, 2007 4:34 PM

All replies

• Can you do an AD attribute dump of the user?  It sounds like one of the key attributes required for Exchange may be missing or corrupted (I'm thinking maybe legacyExchangeDN given that it's a reply issue).

One way to do this is to use ADFIND from www.joeware.net, e.g. if the user's logon ID is"BobC":

adfind -default -f "(&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person)(samAccountname=BobC))"

Tony

www.activedir.org

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:02 PM
  • I tried the ADFIND & it works well. I have the same issue of users sending email out but when someone

wants to reply, the message is returned with

User unknown in relay recipient table
    Have Exchange 2003 SP2 installed. Cannot seem to solve this issue. The
    legacyExchangeDN seems OK in that the info is correct. Anyone have this problem?
    Friday, November 02, 2007 9:19 PM
  • I never have gotten this fixed.

We found that we are unable to email this user from outside of our domain also.

Luckily, he doesn't normally need emailed outside of our domain, but it's still a pain in the @#$

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Our domain is getting this error when sending to a specific domain outside our company.

Ex: user1@titanspecialty.com  sends e-mail to user1@swsi.com

We filter our e-mail with an external provider (MX Logic) and suspect this could be part of the problem.

We can send to the same SMTP address from an external service provider (hotmail) but e-mail is rejected when sent from our Company(@titanspecialty.com) to one specific Company(@swsi.com)

Below is the bounce back message:

-----Original Message-----

From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@p01c12o141.mxlogic.net]

Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 1:51 PM

To: User1 name

Subject: Mail delivery failed

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you have sent could not be delivered to one or more

recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address failed:

<user1@swsi.com>: 5.1.0 <user1@titanspecialties.com>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table

Included is a copy of the message header:

-----------------------------------------

Received: from unknown [64.136.65.142] (EHLO server.titanspecialty.com)

by p01c12o141.mxlogic.net (mxl_mta-5.4.0-3)

with ESMTP id 8011a184.3129940912.9388.00-007.p01c12o141.mxlogic.net (envelope-from <user1@titanspecialty.com>);

Thu, 01 May 2008 12:50:48 -0600 (MDT)

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/related;

boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C8ABBC.446F5265";

type="multipart/alternative"

Disposition-Notification-To: "User1 Name" <user1@titanspecialty.com>

X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5

Subject: FW: Testing E-Mail For Titan Specialty

Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 13:50:46 -0500

Message-ID: <2287CE8BFC7D914EA5C8356D9C211A6B035308A1@server.titanspecialty.com>

X-MS-Has-Attach:

X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

Thread-Topic: Testing E-Mail For Titan Specialty

Thread-Index: AcirmtyvgIho1IbeSqqcOx+SZ4JMjgAIUMew

To: <user1@swsi.com>

Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Hi Tony, I have had the same problem pop up this week. Exch003 all working fine receiving email to alis address and primary addrersses alike. This week however, no email aliases are receiving email, all bounce with error 5.1.1 user unknown.  ADFind shows all of the email addresses as Proxy addresses, no corruption is evident.
    Have tried deleting the secondary addresses, waitin ten minutes, putting them back, no joy.
    I suspect that this may be a paid call to microsoft!

This particular server has been stable for three years, nothing has been changed.
    Any clues greatly appreciated.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 3:11 AM