none
Exchange 2010 (SBS2011 standard) Certificate will expire soon

Question

•  Server Event Logs, Event Source: MSExchange Web Services, Event ID 25 (does indicate #25)  - Event Details: The Exchange certificate ……will expire very soon on 1/25/2012 8:26:09 AM.

Used the wizard in SBS2011 to update the “Go Daddy wild card” cert last week – SBS2011 Console/Network/Connectivity shows certification is valid until 1/25/13 (updated)

Used mmc added certificates snap in – Under Certificates/personal/Certificates I see both the old (soon to expire) and the updated certificate

Should I have had to remove (delete) the old certificate as part of the new certificate process – I thought the wizard would do this since it was used with the update a certificate request

Should I delete the old Certificate or just (select/ right click Properties) Disable all purposes for this certificate

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:44 PM

Answers

• The wizard will not remove the old certificate.

It will almost certainly still be in place, probably enabled for SMTP services. You will need to remove it through Exchange Management Console. Do not just remove it through anything else until it has been removed through Exchange.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by JD 2010 Monday, January 23, 2012 10:17 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:22 PM

All replies

• The wizard will not remove the old certificate.

It will almost certainly still be in place, probably enabled for SMTP services. You will need to remove it through Exchange Management Console. Do not just remove it through anything else until it has been removed through Exchange.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by JD 2010 Monday, January 23, 2012 10:17 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Simon, thank you for your reply

Before I saw your reply - I Decided just to disable the old certificate in the mmc certificate snap-in – I checked the new certificate was in the valid date range first

Checked it out the with the EMC (Exchange Management Console) – Server Configuration shows old certificate disabled and used for Services SMTP The new one enabled and shows Services IIS and SMTP (mail is working fine) – Seems like I do not really need to remove it, Disabled is OK with me - Thank you.

Monday, January 23, 2012 10:17 PM