none
Deleting mailbox without removing user object? Exchange 2010

Question

• In Exchange 2010, How can I delete a mailbox but keep the User Object since this user still access the network??
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:44 AM

All replies

• Disabling mailbox will remove Exchange attributes and disconnect the mailbox from user account. 

The user account will remain in Active Directory and disconnected mailbox will be purged after retention period passes...

Disable-Mailbox

Amit Tank
    MVP: Exchange Server | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | Blog: http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

Friday, November 13, 2009 4:53 AM
  • Yeah this area is still pretty confusing and I wish they'd align ADUC and EMC better with regards to 'Disable' and 'Remove'. Amit has given you the correct information. One thing to note, the AD account itself will remain active, it will not be disabled from an AD viewpoint. I wish they'd go back to Removing meaning "remove the mailbox" in EMC.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek MCSA 2000/2003 CCNA MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration LMNOP
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:55 AM
  • In the Exchange Management Console, right-click and select disable mailbox or in the Exchange Management Shell, use the Disable-Mailbox cmdlet:

Disable-Mailbox -Identity mailboxname -Confirm:$false

Disabling the mailbox will remove the Exchange attributes from the Active Direcotry object, which disconnects the mailbox and leaves the Active Directory object intact.

Sean | http://seanv.wordpress.com
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Yeah this area is still pretty confusing and I wish they'd align ADUC and EMC better with regards to 'Disable' and 'Remove'. Amit has given you the correct information. One thing to note, the AD account itself will remain active, it will not be disabled from an AD viewpoint. I wish they'd go back to Removing meaning "remove the mailbox" in EMC.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek MCSA 2000/2003 CCNA MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration LMNOP

Brian, I couldn't agree more.  The number of times I have been explaining this to others is unreal.
    Sean | http://seanv.wordpress.com
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Caution: Horror story ahead:

Yeah, well, the earlier bits of Exchange 2010 don't let you remove Exchange without first removing the mailbox from the mailbox database... this is according to MSFT documentation.  So I highlighted all the users at a customer's 130 user site and clicked remove.  S.O.A.B.!!!!  Only to find out one of the other senior techs did the same thing at a 10 user site but didn't tell anybody.

The worst thing here is that there were no backups of AD.  We were able to restore the deleted user accounts via the aduser tool from sysinternals, but it only got the sam name and the SID, no group memberships, no passwords, not even first name, lastname or UPN.  Since AD comes with the recycle bin disabled (dumb because you don't know you have to enable it until you need it.) and the new Windows Server Backup doesn't let you take system state backups without lots of hassle dedicating drives and backup locations, we found ourselves royally um... humped.  Still dealing with the after math after restoring the objects for over 6 hours.

Thanks for the egg on my face MSFT!

Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Yep same happened here... a bad command description (remove)...Basic GUI design principals trown out of the window(s). What do you think of descriptions like "disable user, remove mailbox, delete user"? Had to return the empty SSID user objects with ldp.exe. What a hassle. Then configure the groups and other properties. Luckily i had user passwords. Already logged in users stayed logged in during the storm (as long as they didn't lock the desktop or something...). And who thinks at MS that a new feature (that should have been there long ago) like AD recycle bin doesn't need to be enabled by default... especially at an SBS site. Thanks!

ps Scenario was removing old mailboxes after migrating to Office 365...

Still my mistake with some help, hard lesson. And enabled the stupid AD recycle bin afterwards... 

• Edited by Rinzzz Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:11 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:06 PM