none
Reading of accented characters in US-ASCII format in Exchange 2010

Question

• I finished a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.

I have one unsolved problem. An internal application generates and sends automatically reporting mails using the US-ASCII format through an anonymous Exchange 2010 Receive connector. This connector was configured following the Microsoft recommandations (article "Allow Anonymous Relay on a Receive Connector", http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232021(printer).aspx).

The problem is that accented characters like "é", "è" or "à" are converting in "?" when the reporting mails arrive in the user mailboxes in Exchange 2010.

I made the following test :

1. When I generate from the shell in Powershell a mail in US-ASCII format, the accented characters are converted to ?

$encoding = [System.Text.Encoding]::ASCII
    Send-MailMessage -To 'administrator@acme.toon' -Subject 'Test' -Body 'Test mail avec des é è à et @' -SmtpServer '172.16.3.55' -From 'nobody@anywhere.com' –encoding $encoding

2. When I generate from the shell in Powershell a mail in UTF7 format, the accented characters remains unchanged in the mailbox :

$encoding = [System.Text.Encoding]::UTF7
    Send-MailMessage -To 'administrator@acme.toon' -Subject 'Test' -Body 'Test mail avec des é è à et @' -SmtpServer '172.16.3.55' -From 'nobody@anywhere.com' –encoding $encoding

Is there a solution to keep the accented characters without changing the US-ASCII message format in the reporting application ?

Best regards,

Pascal

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:58 AM

Answers

• hi,

I think it is by design.

In an Exchange Server 2010 organization, content conversion is handled by the categorizer on a server that has the Hub Transport server role installed. Categorization on each message happens after a newly arrived message is put in the Submission queue. In addition to recipient resolution and routing resolution, content conversion is performed on the message before the message is put in a delivery queue.

Please see this link:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232174.aspx

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:16 AM

All replies

• hi,

I think it is by design.

In an Exchange Server 2010 organization, content conversion is handled by the categorizer on a server that has the Hub Transport server role installed. Categorization on each message happens after a newly arrived message is put in the Submission queue. In addition to recipient resolution and routing resolution, content conversion is performed on the message before the message is put in a delivery queue.

Please see this link:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232174.aspx

thanks,

CastinLu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi Pascal

How this issue has been fixed?

Did you changed anything at exchange end or from application end?

Regards,

Pravin

Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:01 AM