none
Paperclip icon not showing in Outlook 2003 on some emails with attachment

Question

• Hi,

I am facing a problem in Outlook 2003. It seems that the paperclip icon is not showing on some emails with attachments. This happens to my Director and his Personal Assistant, and as both of them relies pretty heavily on the paperclip icons to sort emails, this has resulted them in missing out important emails.

My entire company is running on Outlook 2003, Exchange Server 2007, yet so far is only both of them facing this problem. Forwarding this email to other staff has no issues, the paperclip icon will show and attachment is also forwarded without issues.

I have included the screenshot of the missing paperclip icon in the Inbox (circled them in red) and shown that that email has an attachment in the preview pane (in red).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/Egria/untitled-1.jpg

My apologies for blanking out the subjects and contents due to sensitivity of data.

Would be glad if someone can help me resolve this problem as I have tried to search for solutions on the Internet but not able to find any.

If it is telling me to reset the current view of Outlook, I have tried and that does not resolve the problem. Re- installation of Office Suite 2003 does not resolve this issue either.

Regards

SP Lim

Thursday, September 02, 2010 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To narrow down the root cause, I recommend you:

1. First test this problem by using another version of outlook, such as outlook 2007. If the Paperclip icons shows normally, the problem should reside in the outlook.

If the issue persists, please move to the next step.

2. On exchange server, create a new mailbox store database and then move the problem mailboxes to this new mailbox store. Then test to see if the issue persists.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, September 10, 2010 2:26 AM
    Monday, September 06, 2010 8:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To narrow down the root cause, I recommend you:

1. First test this problem by using another version of outlook, such as outlook 2007. If the Paperclip icons shows normally, the problem should reside in the outlook.

If the issue persists, please move to the next step.

2. On exchange server, create a new mailbox store database and then move the problem mailboxes to this new mailbox store. Then test to see if the issue persists.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Thanks Gen Lin-MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Gen Lin Friday, September 10, 2010 2:26 AM
    Monday, September 06, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi Gen,

thanks for the tip, will try out your suggestion to determine the cause if it is Outlook 2003 or mailbox store DB issue.

Regards

SP Lim

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Did your issue ever get resolved?  I'm seeing this with our outlook 2007 clients.
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 6:29 PM
  • This issue occurs when the email has an in-line image embedded in it. For example, if someone has an image as part of their signature.

Delete the image from the email, save it, and the attachment icon will appear in the inbox message list.

From the searching I've done, this issue is present in both Outlook 2003 and 2007.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:03 PM