none
Errors and Poison messages after Rollup 1 on Exchange 2010 SP3

Question

• Hello!

I have installed Rollup 1 Update on my MS Exchange 2010 SP2 server: now I have several error messages in Event Log and all the sent mails in "Poison Queue".

No problem with received mails: OWA works perfectly.

Several errors:

---> Error 10003 on MSExchangeTransport:The transport process failed during message processing with the following call stack: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.PureTnefMessage.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.IBody.GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at ............

--> Error 4999 on MSExchangeCommon: Watson report about to be sent for process id: 5724, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0146.000, edgetransport, unknown, M.E.D.T.E.P.M.E.D.T.E.IBody.GetContentWriteStream, System.NullReferenceException, a79c, unknown.
    ErrorReportingEnabled: False

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Regards.
    Alessandro

• Edited by HimuraCC Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:22 PM
    Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:17 PM

Answers

• I have reported this to Microsoft. Even if you do not have a support contract, it is possible to use site feedback to send this information to Microsoft (So I am told.)

The problem occurs because of a fault with the sink that is used to run transport rules. Disable the transport rule and your emails will immediately come out of the poison queue and get sent. You may also find that your anti-virus is also working after removing the transport rule.

Disabling the Transport Rule is a workaround, not a solution, until Microsoft fix the problem.

Anthony Sheehy - MCP, MCITP

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:45 PM
  • All,

SAME PROBLEM - BUT I THINK I HAVE A DECENT WORKAROUND.

We have a custom transport agent, programmed in-house, to append disclaimers. After SP3 and RU1,  GetContentWriteStream() was returning a null object (same error as original post). This stream is used to write the modified content back to the MailItem.Message.Body object.

There are two versions of GetContentWriteStream(), one with no params, and one with a string param that takes the character set of the new Stream object returned.

I decided to pass the character set from the mail item in and all of a sudden my disclaimer service started working again. In other words:

Stream newBodyContent = null;

try

{

newBodyContent = e.MailItem.Message.Body.GetContentWriteStream(e.MailItem.Message.Body.CharsetName.ToString());

}

catch (Exception gcs)

{

}

I hope this helps. If you have a third part transport agent, perhaps this can help them fix their code too.

Thanks,

Dirk Frulla

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hello.

After the uninstall of the Rollup 1, the problem is solved.

Could be a problem of the Rollup?

Or, for example, the Trend Micro AV could be not compatible with Rollup 1?

Regards.

Alessandro

Sunday, June 02, 2013 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Same here. At the moment I'm thinking to uninstall RU1.
    Or do anyone have any other options to check out?

Some logs:

The transport process failed during message processing with the following call stack: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.PureTnefMessage.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.IBody.GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.MimeTnefMessage.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.IBody.GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.EmailMessage.Body_GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.ApplyHtmlDisclaimer.ConvertHtmlBody(TransportRulesEvaluationContext context, HtmlDisclaimerEntry entry, HtmlToHtml h2hConverter, Encoding bodyEncoding)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.ApplyHtmlDisclaimer.OnExecute(RulesEvaluationContext baseContext)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.RulesEvaluator.ExecuteActions()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.RulesEvaluator.Run()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.TransportRuleCollection.Run(TransportRulesEvaluationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.TransportRuleAgent.OnRoutedMessageHandler(RoutedMessageEventSource source, QueuedMessageEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Routing.RoutingAgent.Invoke(String eventTopic, Object source, Object e)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.Dispatcher.Invoke(MExSession session)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExSession.AsyncInvoke(Object state)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExSession.BeginInvoke(String topic, Object source, Object e, AsyncCallback callback, Object callbackState)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.MExEvents.RaiseEvent(MExSession mexSession, String eventTopic, AsyncCallback callback, Object state, Object[] contexts)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.MExEvents.RaiseOnRoutedMessage(TaskContext context, AsyncCallback callback, MailItem mailItem)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.CategorizerComponent.Stage5OnRoutedMessage(TransportMailItem transportMailItem, TaskContext taskContext)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.TaskContext.Invoke()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.CatScheduler.JobThreadEntry(Object ignored)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

------------------------------------------------------

Watson report about to be sent for process id: 7832, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0146.000, edgetransport, unknown, M.E.D.T.E.P.M.E.D.T.E.IBody.GetContentWriteStream, System.NullReferenceException, a79c, unknown.
    ErrorReportingEnabled: True

• Edited by Sven J Monday, June 03, 2013 7:52 AM
    Monday, June 03, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hello!

I have installed Rollup 1 Update on my MS Exchange 2010 SP2 server: now I have several error messages in Event Log and all the sent mails in "Poison Queue".

No problem with received mails: OWA works perfectly.

Several errors:

---> Error 10003 on MSExchangeTransport:The transport process failed during message processing with the following call stack: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at ............

--> Error 4999 on MSExchangeCommon: Watson report about to be sent for process id: 5724, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0146.000, edgetransport, unknown, M.E.D.T.E.P.M.E.D.T.E.IBody.GetContentWriteStream, System.NullReferenceException, a79c, unknown.
    ErrorReportingEnabled: False

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Regards.
    Alessandro

Do You have any transport rule?

rgds Sven

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

I'm in the same boat. Same here. At the moment I'm thinking to uninstall RU1.
    Or do anyone have any other options to check out?

Some logs:

The transport process failed during message processing with the following call stack: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.MimeTnefMessage.Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.IBody.GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.EmailMessage.Body_GetContentWriteStream(Charset charset)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.ApplyHtmlDisclaimer.ConvertHtmlBody(TransportRulesEvaluationContext context, HtmlDisclaimerEntry entry, HtmlToHtml h2hConverter, Encoding bodyEncoding)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.ApplyHtmlDisclaimer.OnExecute(RulesEvaluationContext baseContext)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.RulesEvaluator.ExecuteActions()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.RulesEvaluator.Run()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.Rules.TransportRuleCollection.Run(TransportRulesEvaluationContext context)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.TransportRuleAgent.OnRoutedMessageHandler(RoutedMessageEventSource source, QueuedMessageEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Routing.RoutingAgent.Invoke(String eventTopic, Object source, Object e)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.Dispatcher.Invoke(MExSession session)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExSession.AsyncInvoke(Object state)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Internal.MExRuntime.MExSession.BeginInvoke(String topic, Object source, Object e, AsyncCallback callback, Object callbackState)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.MExEvents.RaiseEvent(MExSession mexSession, String eventTopic, AsyncCallback callback, Object state, Object[] contexts)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.MExEvents.RaiseOnRoutedMessage(TaskContext context, AsyncCallback callback, MailItem mailItem)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.CategorizerComponent.Stage5OnRoutedMessage(TransportMailItem transportMailItem, TaskContext taskContext)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.TaskContext.Invoke()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Categorizer.CatScheduler.JobThreadEntry(Object ignored)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

------------------------------------------------------

Watson report about to be sent for process id: 7832, with parameters: E12, c-RTL-AMD64, 14.03.0146.000, edgetransport, unknown, M.E.D.T.E.P.M.E.D.T.E.IBody.GetContentWriteStream, System.NullReferenceException, a79c, unknown.
    ErrorReportingEnabled: True

SP3, RU1 ????

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Yes. SP3 RU1 and TrendMicro ScanMail 10.2

rgds Sven

• Edited by Sven J Monday, June 03, 2013 8:14 AM
    Monday, June 03, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Have you tried disabling Antivirus\3rd party filter agent?

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:17 AM
  • At the moment I disabled my only one transport rule. My transport rule was configured to append company disclaimer at the end of message. Errors are gone. I'm investigating what is wrong with my rule. It worked fine until SP3 RU1.

rgds Sven

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:31 AM
  • Also, call MS and let them know, may be a possible BUG.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Also, call MS and let them know, may be a possible BUG.

OM (MCITP) | Blog

At the moment my work schedule is bit overbooked, so I don't have a time to deal with support tickets. But if this is not solved at the end of this week I might take a call and start troubleshooting process.

rgds Sven

Monday, June 03, 2013 8:54 AM
  • I also have this issue with SP3 UR1.

Transport rule adds disclaimer:

• OWA/OL plain text message: no problem
    • OWA/OL HTML message: problem; mail goes to Poison queue and errors in application log.

Martijn

Monday, June 03, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Hi folks,

If you are seeing issues like this, please raise a case with support.  This is important so that we;

Know the scope and severity of the issue

Can get multiple repros

if everyone thinks that someone else will call the fire brigade, then no one does and the house burns down :(

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, June 03, 2013 12:16 PM
  • @ Sven J,

Hi - not sure if its 100% related but: http://support.kaspersky.com/9781:

"This is due to Microsoft deeply changing the component architecture and
    versions in its service packs, and Kaspersky Security 8.0 for Microsoft
    Exchange Servers
    is incompatible with Service Pack 3 for
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010."

Wondering if theres a similar issue with your TrendMicro AV?

also, what was your previous version? ie from sp3 to sp3 ur1 OR from sp2 urXX to sp3 then straight to sp3 ur1?

I'm also looking ot upgrade my environment to SP3 UR1 for 2013 coexistance. Seems the exchange team fixed alot with UR1 for SP3 but may have intoduced more probs..

CurbySanPan - Learning Exchange2010, SCOM2012 and life

Monday, June 03, 2013 12:18 PM
  • I have the same issue at a customer. However, I am able to reproduce this in my own lab environment:

Transport rule adds disclaimer:

• OWA/OL plain text message: no problem
    • OWA/OL HTML message: problem; mail goes to Poison queue and errors in application log.
    Monday, June 03, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Quite glad I wasn't the only one with this issue after SP3 RU1. Uninstalled RU1, but we do use the disclaimer transport rule. Haven't had time to reinstall RU1 and disable the disclaimer though.
    Monday, June 03, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hello.

Thank you for all your replies!

I have the problem only with RU1 on SP3 (I think that the problem isn't Trend Micro AV, because I have no problem with SP3).

I understand from your posts that the problem is the disclaimer rule (I have it!).

In your opinion there will be a RU1 version 2?

Thank you.

Regards.

Alessandro

Monday, June 03, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Wow... Glad I am not the Lone Ranger. SP3 RU1 seemed fine for a couple of days, but only because we didn't realize certain outbound mail was getting hung up in the poison queue. It did solve iOS battery issues and soft delete problems....... Actually, I thought the issue was Forefront, because it kept complaining about the transport service restarting unexpectedly. We disabled Forefront with no change. We do have a disclaimer rule and will disable it in the AM and re enable Forefront. Sounds like that should do the trick until RU1 version 2 hits the street!!!!! Thank you all! I can sleep now! Charlie

charlie0

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 4:42 AM
  • I have the same issue with SP3-RU1.

It took me almost 6 hours of troubleshooting to find the cause of this crashing transport service.

With a disabled disclaimer transport rule the transport service is running stable again.

@Microsoft; please fix this soon!

Rene.

• Edited by ICA-RMB Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 5:38 AM
  • @ Sven J,

Hi - not sure if its 100% related but: http://support.kaspersky.com/9781:

"This is due to Microsoft deeply changing the component architecture and
    versions in its service packs, and Kaspersky Security 8.0 for Microsoft
    Exchange Servers
    is incompatible with Service Pack 3 for
    Microsoft Exchange Server 2010."

Wondering if theres a similar issue with your TrendMicro AV?

also, what was your previous version? ie from sp3 to sp3 ur1 OR from sp2 urXX to sp3 then straight to sp3 ur1?

I'm also looking ot upgrade my environment to SP3 UR1 for 2013 coexistance. Seems the exchange team fixed alot with UR1 for SP3 but may have intoduced more probs..

I must check this from my AV provider.

My upgrade scenario was SP2 RU6 -> SP3 -> SP3 RU1

My transport rule works nicely with SP2 RU6. With SP3 I don't know because I upgraded quickly to RU1

rgds Sven

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I can now confirm that disabling the Disclaimer transport rule solved the transport service / poison issue for E2010 SP3 RU1. I was also able to re-enable Forefront. All looks good so far with RU1 still installed. NO poison mail and my users have started removing the pins from their admin dolls!!

I don't have time today to determine if recreating a new disclaimer is also subject to the same issue. Anyone have a thought on this?

Charlie

charlie0

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 10:32 AM
  • Tried to create a new one.. doesn't help.

rgds Sven

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Figures that doesn't work. Something must be malformed in RU1 Sure hope M/S jumps on this. I also hope nothing else pops up. If it were not for the 30% PLUS improved iPhone battery life and soft delete fix, we would have uninstalled RU1!!!

charlie0

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:13 AM
  • hi all,

sounds like its not AV related - so directly related to transport rules...

can anyone confirm if its all transport rules or only specific rules that append text? - i guess your using the 'append disclaimer text and fallback to action if unable to apply' rule?

FYI: we use exclaimer disclaimer signature and disclaimer software who have also confirmed that there are issues with the disclaimer/signatures when used with SP3 UR1 -- so assume its related

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:55 AM
  • I have reported this to Microsoft. Even if you do not have a support contract, it is possible to use site feedback to send this information to Microsoft (So I am told.)

The problem occurs because of a fault with the sink that is used to run transport rules. Disable the transport rule and your emails will immediately come out of the poison queue and get sent. You may also find that your anti-virus is also working after removing the transport rule.

Disabling the Transport Rule is a workaround, not a solution, until Microsoft fix the problem.

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 12:45 PM
  • hi all,

sounds like its not AV related - so directly related to transport rules...

can anyone confirm if its all transport rules or only specific rules that append text? - i guess your using the 'append disclaimer text and fallback to action if unable to apply' rule?

FYI: we use exclaimer disclaimer signature and disclaimer software who have also confirmed that there are issues with the disclaimer/signatures when used with SP3 UR1 -- so assume its related

Yes can anyone confirm this only affects rules that append text?  And not for example affect a max message size transport rule?
    Thursday, June 06, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Do you know which kind of mail will be push into poison queue? With attachment, plain text , or have non-English char? these info maybe help someone to repro this issue.
    Friday, June 07, 2013 2:25 AM
  • It is not the kind of mail that causes the problem, it is the transport rule that is applied. There is actually a bug check whenever the transport service crashes. Any mail that is passing through when this happens gets pushed into the Poison queue. I have heard it said that plain text gets away with this, and it is only html that causes the crash. Most of our mail is sent html, and without attachments, and I can guarantee that it is all in English.

Friday, June 07, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Has anyone raised a support call with MS support?

Martijn

Friday, June 07, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi all - from the exchange team blog (http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/29/released-update-rollup-1-for-exchange-server-2010-sp3.aspx) user 'Maciej O. _' states:

"I'm afraid that all Transport Agents which use Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Email.Body.GetContentWriteStream() method are affected."

so it sounds like only transport rules that write to the message body are affected...? can anyone confirm this please?

In other news... Exclaimer have release an RC fix for the same problem that affects their transport agent, this works in the same way; to write signatures and disclaimers to the message body, so is no doubt related and proves a hotfix/patch is necessary IMO.

Friday, June 07, 2013 8:27 AM
  • I opened a ticked on the 3rd for the transport rule/disclaimer issue, let them have remote access, submitted procdump output for edgetransport.exe when it crashes, MS are investigating.

Just give them time as it seems like any fix will be a code change which will need to go through their test/QA process before being issued

• Edited by Rockweiler Friday, June 07, 2013 11:18 AM
    Friday, June 07, 2013 11:17 AM
  • It seems this is an issue which is affecting EVERYONE running E2010 SP3 UR1 and using a disclaimer transport rule appended to all outgoing mail (A VERY common enterprise practice!).

I am curious, is anyone watching this thread using a transport disclaimer rule with Rollup 1 installed that is NOT having the problem?

If all users of disclaimers are affected, then I would think MS will address quickly with a hotfix or maybe a version 2 of the rollup (depending if anything else has surfaced). It is bothersome though that a 3rd party has already fixed their disclaimer problem with UR1  . . . . even before MS has acknowledged the problem on week later!

Charlie

charlie0

Friday, June 07, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Please do call in and file a case# so that this issue is given the appropriate priority.

While the Product Group team are aware and are monitoring this thread, cases are also important as we can collect detailed repro data (if required).

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, June 07, 2013 1:26 PM
  • A workaround for the common case (NOT for all cases)

Add a SBC case (double-byte) space ( ) to the end of the disclaimer text. For example, if your original disclaimer text is "Hello World", then revise it as "Hello World ". Mail receivers will not notice the SBC case space unless they highlight the disclaimer text by selecting it.

If the message body contains the SBC case space as well, this workaround will not work though.

• Proposed as answer by jverbrugghe Thursday, November 28, 2013 4:04 PM
    Sunday, June 09, 2013 11:46 AM
  • I'm experiencing this exact issue after installing RU1, last night. I wish I would've seen this first!

Rich Text emails work, but HTML formatted emails crash the Transport Service and end up in the Poison Queue. Same as Martijn describes. My only workaround was to disable our disclaimers, which can't be a long term solution.

MS needs to address this.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 9:26 PM
  • We are also experiencing this exact issue as well. We also had issues with Forefront failing to start on the hub server when disclaimers rules were enabled, presumably related. Hopefully Microsoft are giving this a high priority.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 6:27 AM
  • We have the same issue after applying UR1 for SP3. Both hub nodes keep crashing. And yes, we have transport rule adding disclaimers.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Just for your information: we're experiencing the same issue with RU1 and we append disclaimer text to outgoing email using transport rule.

Removing RU1 solved the problem (for the moment).

Thanks,

Massimo

Monday, June 10, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Updated SP3 RU1 on last Friday.  Same issue here. We have received event ID 10003 "Poison Message".

Tim

• Edited by Tim_Maung Monday, June 10, 2013 1:41 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 1:40 PM
  • I'm having the same problems after SP3 RU1 is applied. I disabled the global disclaimer and the problem went away. I have just tried Jingping's work around of adding   at the end of the HTML disclaimer and so far the transport service is working. Has anyone raised a support ticket with Microsoft?
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Did anyone observe that text-only mails work (have the disclaimer text appended and sent) while more "complex" mails (like with attachments or HTML formatted) don't pass the transport rule?
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • OK, Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on it. They even added a remark to the SP3 Technet page:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2013/05/29/released-update-rollup-1-for-exchange-server-2010-sp3.aspx

Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:03 AM
  • We have the same problem with SP3 CU1. Because of the disclaimer all outbound messages end up in the poison queue. Also we have noticed that users are no longer able to open additional mailboxes from OWA when user has "Full Access for a mailbox. Server just times out. Uninstalling CU1 fixes the problem with poisoning of e-mail messages, however it doesn't fix problem with Server timing out. Some users reported Server timing out issue even before CU1 was applied, but I haven't seen real solution for this issue. If anybody knows how to fix Server timing out issue, please point me to the right direction.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:11 PM
  • All,

SAME PROBLEM - BUT I THINK I HAVE A DECENT WORKAROUND.

We have a custom transport agent, programmed in-house, to append disclaimers. After SP3 and RU1,  GetContentWriteStream() was returning a null object (same error as original post). This stream is used to write the modified content back to the MailItem.Message.Body object.

There are two versions of GetContentWriteStream(), one with no params, and one with a string param that takes the character set of the new Stream object returned.

I decided to pass the character set from the mail item in and all of a sudden my disclaimer service started working again. In other words:

Stream newBodyContent = null;

try

{

newBodyContent = e.MailItem.Message.Body.GetContentWriteStream(e.MailItem.Message.Body.CharsetName.ToString());

}

catch (Exception gcs)

{

}

I hope this helps. If you have a third part transport agent, perhaps this can help them fix their code too.

Thanks,

Dirk Frulla

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:22 PM
  • There is a KB on MS that seems related to the issue - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2859596.  Has anyone seen this KB, and have you been able to get the interim update?

Sunday, June 30, 2013 9:59 PM
  • Does the logic behind the Interim Update's stays same? - I mean if I install this Interim Update and the next UR comes out, I must uninstall this IU before installing next UR ?

rgds Sven

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:55 AM
  • Yes, you have to uninstall before updating any Rollup or Service pack
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 10:04 AM
  • Hi All ,

I have 2 Transport servers at each site . On site A , using Exclaimer (3rd party disclaimer) and another site B using Exchange disclaimer . There are in same exchange forest .

Last week i have updated the version of exclaimer to fix the microsoft known bugs issue , however i still hit with the poison message issue . Can anyone confirm whether i need to update on both site ? I thought my mail doesnt flow to site B transport server hence it wont be affected .

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

I hope, below method can also be applied just to overcome this issue temporarily.

Export the each message from the poison queue from Exchange 2010 SP3 RU1 (one at time) and save it in the .eml file

Copy the .eml file on to other HUB server (not Exchange 2010 SP3 RU1 installed) in to Pickup directory

The email will be delivered to the intended recipient/s

The message is poison queue is not going to deliver therefore poison queue can be emptied.

Regards

Neeraj Mehra

Neeraj Mehra

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Hello,

I have the information from the microsoft support that Rollup Pack 2 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3 will come out on 13th August 2013. Rollup Pack 2 will include the Hotfix for the poison queue and HTML disclaimer problem from Rollup Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2010 SP3.

best regards

Eugen

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:39 AM
  • Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:44 PM