none
Outlook 2003 slow to receive emails

Question

• I have a user who sometimes does not receive emails in a timely fashion in their Outlook inbox.  Recently set up his "smart" phone with Exchange ActiveSync and he is wondering why mails will show up on the phone immediately, yet can take several minutes or repeated "send/receive" attempts before they show up in Outlook.  I think his Outlook is configured to auto send/receive every 1 minute.

In a possibly-related issue, he also is "missing" emails from time to time, checks his spam folder every day because apparently he has a lot of email that is wrongly being dumped there, and (sometimes?) after some obscene amount of time -- like 7-14 days -- the missing messages will finally show up in the spam folder.

I have not personally witnessed either of these behaviors but this is what the user alleges. For what it's worth, no one else in the organization, including myself, seems to have any unexplained email issues. (...with the exception of messages being wrongly placed in spam or junk folder, for which I have tried several remedies, none of which seemed to work consistently/permanently, but that's a different thread...)

To be honest: the PC is a few years old, basic "business class" machine  -- i.e. slow hard drives, possibly an "economy" CPU and other components, etc. -- but I would think it could still be capable of running Office 2k3 properly.  (It's like a 2k5 machine... P4-class at least.)  I started the obligatory "well maybe it's time for some hardware/software upgrades" waffling, but that response didn't seem to get much traction, and frankly I have my doubts that that is the real problem, anyway.  (But it's still time for some upgrades!)  I just think if it was [i]that[/i] slow -- such as caused by the HD fragmentation beyond belief -- it would be slow for everything.  Yet apparently it's fast enough for whatever else he uses it for because these are the only "complaints" I have heard.  It's WinXP Pro, by the way, which was freshly installed about a year ago, patched, etc.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• 
    Start by examining how his Outlook profile is configured, particularly cached mode.  If you disable cached mode, verify that the problem goes away, and then you'll know more.  And when you post back with follow-up information, you might want to disclose the version of Exchange.
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "J0e Sm1th" wrote in message news:89568143-da9c-44cf-85f2-4f0be6309a7a...

I have a user who sometimes does not receive emails in a timely fashion in their Outlook inbox.  Recently set up his "smart" phone with Exchange ActiveSync and he is wondering why mails will show up on the phone immediately, yet can take several minutes or repeated "send/receive" attempts before they show up in Outlook.  I think his Outlook is configured to auto send/receive every 1 minute.

In a possibly-related issue, he also is "missing" emails from time to time, checks his spam folder every day because apparently he has a lot of email that is wrongly being dumped there, and (sometimes?) after some obscene amount of time -- like 7-14 days -- the missing messages will finally show up in the spam folder.

I have not personally witnessed either of these behaviors but this is what the user alleges. For what it's worth, no one else in the organization, including myself, seems to have any unexplained email issues. (...with the exception of messages being wrongly placed in spam or junk folder, for which I have tried several remedies, none of which seemed to work consistently/permanently, but that's a different thread...)

To be honest: the PC is a few years old, basic "business class" machine  -- i.e. slow hard drives, possibly an "economy" CPU and other components, etc. -- but I would think it could still be capable of running Office 2k3 properly.  (It's like a 2k5 machine... P4-class at least.)  I started the obligatory "well maybe it's time for some hardware/software upgrades" waffling, but that response didn't seem to get much traction, and frankly I have my doubts that that is the real problem, anyway.  (But it's still time for some upgrades!)  I just think if it was [i]that[/i] slow -- such as caused by the HD fragmentation beyond belief -- it would be slow for everything.  Yet apparently it's fast enough for whatever else he uses it for because these are the only "complaints" I have heard.  It's WinXP Pro, by the way, which was freshly installed about a year ago, patched, etc.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting this?

Thank you!

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, April 01, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Hi,

We are having the same issue I know this a old thread but I see no resolution in regards this.

We have tried the cache mode on and off that doesn't help.

The emails if left takes about 60 seconds (recorded via stop watch) to arrive. But if you click send and receive once the email is sent it arrives instantly.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Your question will get a lot more visibility if you open a new thread and include your version, service pack and rollup hotfix level of Exchange, plus the version and service pack of Outlook and how the profile is configured.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:08 AM