none
Blank message body when sending or receiving HTML formated emails Exchange 2010

Question

• I Have just installed Exchange Server 2010 over the weekend on a customers system.  All clients using either Outlook 2003 or 2007 are unable to see any text in the body of emails that are formatted in HTML.  If they receive an email formatted as HTML there is no body text, if they send an Plain Text formatted email the recipient sees the text in the body.  This problem presents across all Exchange users and affects all HTML formatted emails sent or received since transitioning from Exchange 2007 to 2010.  Plain Text and Rich Text email present with no issues. If we import old email via a pst they afre able to see all email text both HTML and plain text. when we access the clients email account via OWA all emails work but then if we go into outlook 2003/2007 and click the email it removes the body text from the email in both the client and OWA have tried Outlook connection issues with Exchange 2010 mailboxes due to RPC encryption requirement
     http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/2006508 and it made no difference at all.

Thanks

Update: Have just tested further and all pc seem to work ok with either 2003 or outlook 2007 on.  The problem only seems to be happening on the remothe desktop services server which has outlook 2007 ( have also tried outlook 2003 with same results)
    • Edited by David UE-IT Tuesday, March 09, 2010 11:12 AM update
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 10:28 AM

All replies

• We are having the same issue.

We have a Windows 2008 64 bit Terminal Server Farm (Not R2) The farm is running Office 2007 SP2 with all office updates installed.

We currently have Exchange 2007/2010 running.

When a user is on the Exchange 2007 Server, they have no issues sending.

When a user is on the Exchange 2010 Server, and they send a message, the body of the message is blank. However the subject is displayed fine.

OWA/Outlook anywhere, and computers in the office work fine.

I tried this command however it did not solve the issue. Set-RpcClientAccess –Server Exchange_server_name –EncryptionRequired $False

Any one have any ideas?

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hello Matthew,

Just want to clarify, You meant that all those users whose mailboxes are moved to the Exchange 2010 are experiencing same problem ?

Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:16 PM
  • As a second piece of info, we do not have any issues receiving messages on the Terminal Server farm.
     If you change the users default storage location to a PST file, you can send messages.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Hello Matthew,

Just want to clarify, You meant that all those users whose mailboxes are moved to the Exchange 2010 are experiencing same problem ?

Yes only users with an Exchange 2010 mailbox have the issue when using the Terminal Server Farm. 

Using Office Anywhere, outlook in the office, OWA, or active sync all work fine.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Well, in that case it should be the problem with the Outlook profile in Terminal Server.
    If OWA, Active synch works fine then definitly no issues with the mailboxes...!!!

Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:10 PM
  • Well, in that case it should be the problem with the Outlook profile in Terminal Server.
    If OWA, Active synch works fine then definitly no issues with the mailboxes...!!!

I think it has something to do with the fact Microsoft disables offline/cached mode on terminal servers.

If you look at the OST file location it's not available, and cached mode is grayed out.

The terminal server works fine with the Exchange 2007 mailboxes, the issue only occurs with the Exchange 2010 mailboxes. 

Creating a new profile does not resolve the issue (Moving the mailbox back to exchange 2007 does)

Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:40 PM
  • If you change the message text format to 'plain text' the message works. HTML does not.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Well I figured out our issue for some reason the Virus software, does not like sending messages with Exchange 2010. If you disable the Virus SW the messages send fine.

Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:10 PM
  • I have been having this issue for a number of weeks on one mailbox after moving to Exchange 2010.

Can you tell me which machine you disabled the AV on? I have already done this on my 6 Exchange servers but did you need to do this on your clients as well?

Thanks
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Oh what fun it is to work with Server 2008 (including Remote Desktop Services) and Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2007.

I was having the same issue and I can confirm that the anti virus software seem to remove the body of the email when using HTML formaat. I am using avast 4.8 Server edition. If you uncheck the option "Scan outbound email" under the "Scanner" option for "Outlook/Exchange", this seems to resolve the issue. However these reducesthe level of protection.

Which anti virus product are you using?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:53 AM
  • We're in the process of moving to exchange 2010 from 2007 & I've only moved a test mailbox so far & we seem to be having the same issues (we also use Avast for our AV) if I disable the outbound scanning for outlook emails the HTML emails go through as expected but otherwise they arrive blank. (i've only tested this on a machine using outlook 2003 so far with the Encrypted RPC Traffic on).

Has anyone come up with an actual answer that doesn't involve turning off outbound email scanning?
    Thursday, April 22, 2010 9:03 AM
  • We are having the same issue with Exchange 2007. Matthew you said moving your mailbox back to Exchange 2007 solved the issue.

Our problem is more specific, though: all user mailboxes work fine except for one and only one.

The body of the messages she sends show up as blank for recipients when she configures outlook to write in HTML or Rich Text. As some of you found out, setting it to Plain Text solves the issue. We are using NOD32 4.

She is using a terminal server account. I have run out of ideas. The chief admin said the antivirus was working fine for several years and disabling the outbound email scanning is not an option.

As anyone found a solution that does not involve shutting that down?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:32 PM
  • We have just migrated to Exchange 2010 and have had some blank emails come in to our system.  We think we have a reason and fix for it. Hopefully this helps someone else…

Staffs have their own private mailbox (as you would expect) but also share common mailboxes like "Support" and "Info". When an email came into the inbox on a shared mailbox, it might be blank. Plain text emails seemed to be okay.  We found that when an email came in, it was readable for about two or three seconds (you need to be setup to send a test and check the inbox quickly - we used Outlook 2007 with the reading pane turned on) and then it blanked out!. We checked the incoming email by using the arrow keys to select it and then select the email below the new email, if you go back and forth between them you can see the good new email suddenly goes blank.

So send another test, but this time make sure the email is set to “Plain Text”. Our email turned up fine, two seconds latter it had a NOD32 signature appended to the end of it saying that it had been scanned by NOD32 (you may have seen this kind of note appended to the end of emails before).

What appeared to be happening is that one or more users sitting at their desks in Outlook had different settings configured in NOD32 (they were supposed to be using the server based profile that we control). We thought we had the server doing the AV work, but several of our client PCs had NOD32 enabled to integrate with Outlook. New items received in the shared Inbox’s were being scanned by the client PCs and having a signature appended which was mucking up the HTML format of the email and Exchange 2010 blanked them out.

Make sure your AV products aren’t corrupting the email formats causing them to be displayed blank. Try tests using OWA only and don't access the mailbox using Outlook.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Yes I agree  its NOD32 on the client workstation scanning the email then appending it with

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5305 (20100723) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

This corrupts the HTML and exchange 2010 failes to display the body of the email
    Options 1
    Send the message as plain text
    Option 2
    Disable Email and Webmail scanning for NOD32
    Option 3
    Untick Append tag massage to sent email - NEVER

MCP MCDST MCSA
    • Proposed as answer by Gary Trembath Friday, July 15, 2011 3:24 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:36 AM
  • We had a similar issue w/Exchange 2010 as well. Only seemed to happen to one user. We're also running ESET NOD32 on the clients. On the machine that dispalyed this problem, we noticed the client NOD32 was running v4.0.467. Upgraded her to 4.2.40 and have not heard of the issue since. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1648426#post1648426
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:18 PM
  • We are using NOD32 4.0 , can fix the problem by disabling the "Append Tag messages to receive and read email"  and select "Never" , which is under "Email client protection"
    joe
    Friday, April 08, 2011 10:35 AM
  • Hi, in my case was AVG antivirus.

By mistake I left my home PC opened with Outlook ans AVG running via the VPN.

It happens that when new emails arrived my home PC / AVG was deleting the high rich body messages. I closed outlook at home and problem was fixed.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Hi, My problem with the blank e-mail began when I migrated emails from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 and still I have not been possible to solve the problem is presented via OWA and Outlook clients, anyone know how to solve it?

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Hello,

Same problem here, though, since I am going through a migration I am still in the following setup:

* users have an exchange account

* users have the old pop account pointing to their exchange account ost file

One of my user had the problem of the empty body. But, on receiving the email, (not from exchange), you can see the body, then the body goes blank. And the problem is only for mails in the INBOX folder, mail in sent, drafts, deleted, etc... work fine. In OWA the body is also blank

I removed the AV (avast) from the user's workstation, no changes. I switch the pop/imap receive to a pst file, no problem, the emails kept their body. So I guess the problem is linked to the synchronization of the inbox. Recreating the user's box on the exchange server is working at the moment, so I guess corruption might be a probable cause, but I have no idea if only the inbox on the exchange server can be corrupted and not the other folders. Or maybe it is just that when outlook tries to sync with the Exchange server, the body is not sent and exchange does not detect an error. Thus in my scenario it goes:

* receive mail with body to exchange account from pop

* send mail to exchange server (sync), body becomes blank somehow

* client receive mail from exchange server (sync), no body in it, thus removing the body in outlook

I hope this is just a case of corruption and one time thingy, because otherwise it is bad... don't really want to loose thousands of emails.

Finally here are the technical bits:

* Exchange 2010 SP1 on a 2008 R2 server

* Outlook 2007 on Win 7 32 bits

Regards

Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:44 AM
  • All,

Beside the NOD32, or any other AV. Any other suggestions? Im having the same issue with blank emails and is driving me nuts.!

A.M.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:27 PM
  • we had the same problem. The problem was due to a program we use for the disclaimer. We had to adjust some exceptions and the problem was solved!!!. I hope that helps.

Greetings.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 8:35 AM
  • Able detail about how you solve this problem? thx
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:50 PM
  • I am having the same issue, but only from automatic notifications from a few applications and non windows devices.  As an example I have a legacy "web" application with its own http daemon built in.  it runs on a linux server and likes to crash.  I have a cron job which is sending me email notifications based on status, and the subject and body of this message comes up blank.  any ideas on something i can change server side that might be causing these to come in blank?

• Proposed as answer by Rohan2003 Monday, August 01, 2011 8:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rohan2003 Monday, August 01, 2011 8:24 AM
    Monday, August 01, 2011 4:13 AM
  • where do you change the message text format to "plain text"?
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:18 PM
  • any solutions for this? i am having same issue. in my case, i created a mailbox and given the full access for few users. i can't see body of the message in outlook 2007 or owa. anti-virus is disabled at the moment. having said that few emails are coming through fine. thanks 
    • Edited by Bhasha2556 Friday, January 06, 2012 9:53 AM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 9:52 AM
  • Same problem here. Newly swing migration SBS 2011 from SBS 2003. Using E.F.S. POP3 downloader, Outlook 2003 sp3 on the clients. Random messages (HTML) arrive with empty bodytext. Message body text is visible on iPod, iPhone (IMAP?). The Outlook 2003 Desktop Alert window does show the start of the body text, but body appears empty in OWA and Outlook 2003. Same with Outlook 2010.

Was able to extract full message source from Outlook 2003 after creating registry value SaveAllMIMENotJustHeaders = 1 and restarting Outlook. (see http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/How_to_View_the_Complete_Message_Source_in_Outlook.htm)

When comparing the plaintext message source from Outlook with the original plaintext message as it was pulled by the POP3 downloader, there are some HTML errors:
    - duplicate boundary name entries or wrong sequence
    - an unexspected part of plaintext in the middle of some HTML font coding

Am now working on this issue with the POP3 developer, hopefully more news soon.  

Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Hi all,

I am also seeing this problem, as well as receiving corrupted/malformed HTML messages.  My own thread is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/ea1e3637-d22d-467b-ad97-28775541ccf5

It would be interesting to know if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

Thanks,

Nick

• Proposed as answer by Caesar_ Monday, April 02, 2012 8:56 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Caesar_ Monday, April 02, 2012 8:56 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:01 AM
  • hey!

i solved my problem 

try some few steps, reconfigure account and DO NOT add a pst storage

if all goes well, than just create a new PST and move the emails from the old one

in my case was an old 97-2003 pst file that the client had on his system 

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Does not make a lot of sense to me.

One user had this problem start a couple of days ago. Before that all was fine. I disabled his Local email virus scan (Nod32) as per above and HTML messages are no longer blank.

OK Fine, but as this thread is months old, what happened two days ago that changed things? And why only the one user?

yoR36

• Edited by yor36 Friday, April 13, 2012 4:53 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 4:52 PM
  • We had the same thing and it turned out it was a corrupted email profile. We could get emails to go through in plain text but when switched back to HTML the attachment would still be there and you could open it but all of the message body was gone this on the user’s side and the receiver of the email. We created a new email profile made sure it worked properly and then deleted the old one and then and everything was fine, however the emails that already had the text of the message stripped off were still blank.

• Edited by HowdyT Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:18 PM
    • Proposed as answer by HowdyT Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:18 PM
    Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:17 PM
  • Same prob here.  Was definitely related to HTML and the PST file.  Uninstalled Office 2007 and installed Office 2010.  The PST file was still Office 2007.  Unmapped and renames PST file and created a new one in Outlook 2010.  Then imported the data from the 2007 PST to the 2010 PST.  All is good.

Fuel

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:37 PM