none
Exchange 2010 SP1 - Address rewriting

Question

• Hey Guys,

I have a forest with single Windows 2003 domain running single Exchange 2003; Toronto.com.

I built another new forest with single windows 2008r2 domain and single Exchange 2010 SP1; North.com.

I want to have all e-mail addresses sent from both domains to have North.com as an SMTP address for out going e-mail.

I'm trying to use Address rewriting feature using Exchange 2010 Edge Transport server, I did the checklist below:

- Edge Transport server is not subscribed to any domain, but have a send connector to North.com hub server

- Both Address Rewriting Inbound/Outbound Agents are enabled

- a new entry with Toronto.com as an internal domain, and North.com as an external domain.

Till now the address rewriting is not working, am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.

Omar

Friday, May 20, 2011 11:18 PM

Answers

• hi,

you can do this with Edge Transport Address Rewriting option.

here is an article about Edge Transport, it is Turkish but you can follow pics.

http://www.cozumpark.com/blogs/exchangeserver/archive/2010/05/23/exchange-server-2010-edge-transport-server-yap-land-r-lmas.aspx

Address rewriting command is ;

New-addressRewriteEntry -Name "espitu.com.tr” -InternalAddress espione.com.tr -ExternalAddress espitu.com.tr

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com | Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!!
    • Marked as answer by Omar Faqih Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:21 PM
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• hi,

you can do this with Edge Transport Address Rewriting option.

here is an article about Edge Transport, it is Turkish but you can follow pics.

http://www.cozumpark.com/blogs/exchangeserver/archive/2010/05/23/exchange-server-2010-edge-transport-server-yap-land-r-lmas.aspx

Address rewriting command is ;

New-addressRewriteEntry -Name "espitu.com.tr” -InternalAddress espione.com.tr -ExternalAddress espitu.com.tr

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com | Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!!
    • Marked as answer by Omar Faqih Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:21 PM
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:43 AM
  • thanks Mumin, I'll try it and see what happens.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

Please check:

Unique aliases are required All e-mail aliases, the part of the e-mail address to the left of the at (@) sign, must be unique across all subdomains. For example, if there is a joe@sales.contoso.com, there can't be a joe@marketing.contoso.com.
    Proxy addresses are required A proxy address that matches the e-mail address that's produced by the Address Rewriting agent must be configured on every e-mail account that's in the subdomains that are rewritten. For example, if joe@sales.contoso.com is rewritten to joe@contoso.com, the e-mail address joe@contoso.com must be added as a proxy address to Joe's mailbox.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996806.aspx#Address

Check the mail flow, make sure all the mail from Toronto.com to be sent to internet through Edge Server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:29 AM
  • ok thanks Jason, till now the only thing that I didn't do is the subscription of the edge servers, so I'm still checking...
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please post the update if you have any information, which can help us to provide further suggestion.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:55 AM
  • ok

1. The edge subscription is in place and when I ran "Test-Edgesynchronization -FullComparemode" on the mailbox, it gave me that everything was synchronized.

2. The Transport agent is enabled.

3. I added an entry for only outbound where I added Markel.com to be the internal Domain and Toronto.com to be the external domain, then for the users in Markel.com domain.

4. I added toronto.com domain as an SMTP proxy for a user called User1 in Markel.com domain.

5. I sent an email with User1@Markel.com to an external domain, and the recieved email was showing User1@markel.com is the sender, where it should be User1@toronto.com.

are there any missing steps here? Any ideas guys?

Thank you very much

Omar

Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Guys, are there any missing steps in the above posting?

Omar

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Did you enables the Address Rewriting agents?

Enable-TransportAgent -Identity "Address Rewriting Inbound agent"
    Enable-TransportAgent -Identity "Address Rewriting Outbound agent"

add an entry for rewriting

New-AddressRewriteEntry -Name "Address Rewriting" -InternalAddress Markel.com -ExternalAddress Toronto.com

Track the mail flow, check if the email sending to internet through edge server.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:01 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Yup, both agents were already enabled, and an entry was added to the address entries.  I noticed that when I rebooted the VMs for a couple of times, they worked fine for a couple of minutes then stopped functioning correctly.

So, regarding the address rewriting issue, I guess I got the correct answer posted by Mumin, but what's left now is a matter of performance, even though the exchange servers have 3 GB RAM, and it is only a testing environment in a virtualized environment.

Thank you very much guys for the answers.

Omar

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hi Omar,

Check what is the Authenitication mentod on the send connector between the HUB and Edge servers?? It should be set to "Authenticated"

HTH

Feras

Friday, June 17, 2011 11:03 AM