none
Outlook 2007: New category button greyed out for shared contacts

Question

• Hi,
    I'm having a problem adding categories to a shared contacts folder.
    We have an admin staff member who needs to be able to add and categorize contacts for an executive staff member.
    When the admin staff goes to add a new category, the New, Rename, and Delete buttons are greyed out in the Categories window.

This problem began after we recently upgraded to Exchange and Outlook 2007 (made both upgrades about the same time).

I haven't been able to find anything on the net about this, except another person with the same issue: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Groupware/Outlook/Q_23414027.html

The closest I've come to fixing it is:
    If I go into the executive staff member's account and remove all permissions for the admin staff, wait a while, then re-add the permissions, the New and Delete become active.
    However, by the next day, they are greyed out again.

I've tried rebuilding both profiles, had the admin staff try from another computer, the buttons are still greyed out.

Has anybody else seen this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:33 PM

All replies

• 1. Do they use outlook cache mode?

2. Whether any Group Policy applied?

-Jason

Monday, August 11, 2008 3:29 AM
  • Jason,
    Thanks for your reply.
    They are using Outlook in cached mode.
    There are some group policies applied. The only Outlook group policy setting is 'Use Cached Exchange Mode for new and existing Outlook profiles' set to enabled.

Jon
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:29 PM
  • FWIW, tried disabling cached mode, still unable to create new categories in other user's contacts.
    Monday, August 25, 2008 7:06 PM
  •  

I am having the exact same issue.

Info on the web regarding it is very light.

Help!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I  have the exact same problem. Was there any solutions?
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:41 PM
  • 1) Not sure you have all the valid user permissions? If you have access to another Exchange user’s mailbox folder(s), your ability to apply, create, delete, or change categories for items in these folders is a function of the permissions that you have on the folder and the permissions that you have to their Calendar folder.

This might be the issue: To apply or remove an existing category to or from an item in a shared folder, you must have Editor permissions or greater on that folder. The list of color categories in a mailbox is stored in a hidden message in the Calendar folder of a mailbox. Therefore, if you are working in any shared folder of another user’s mailbox, you must have Owner permissions to the other user’s Calendar folder to create new categories, or delete existing categories for any shared folder in the other user’s mailbox.

You can refer the following KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918717 for resolution.
    DeVa, M.S., {MSFT}
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Have you tried the above? Any updates.
    DeVa, M.S., {MSFT}
    • Proposed as answer by Chin_Kmtm Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Hi,DeVa [MSFT]

Thanks for your informations. i have faced this problem and followed guidence provided by you and microsoft (link you provided) It was very helpfull me to solve the problem.

Thanks again for helping others...

Chin_kmtm
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:55 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. All of the permissions are correct. The user has Editor permission but he is not able to create new categories.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I am also having the same problem - it is not a permissions issue - does anyone have any suggestions here...
    Tuesday, February 09, 2010 5:28 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918717
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:09 PM