none
Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2007 cant connect to mailbox

Question

• I have a Windows 2008 64 server with Exchange 2010 installed (default roles) internal mail boxes and OWA is working fine, but from a remote location using Outlook 2007 client I cant connect to the exchange server, the name can not be resolved, tried hostname and IP address of my exchange server but nothing.  Also turned firewall off to make sure it was a firewall issue.

What am i missing here?

Monday, May 24, 2010 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Did you try to change the profile settings to NTLM authentication, I've seen some odd problems with connectivity not resolving like that and changing to NTLM has worked for me. It's in the properties in the mail profile, security tab "Logon network security". I had this issue with 2007 also (no pattern when it occured and I still have not seen a clear reason for the problem)
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Yes I've tried that, an NTLM is set on the server side.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:40 PM
  • did you setup all the Autodiscover pieces so the client can find where to connect?
    Mitch Roberson |MCITP:Enterprise Server Admin, Messaging 2007, 2010 |MCTS:OCS with Voice Achievement |MCT |MCSE 2000\2003 |MCSE Messaging 2000\2003
    Monday, May 24, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Hi Mooihoek,

Are connecting Outlook 2007 Using MAPI or Outlook AnyWhere ?

If MAPI, whether you are trying Manual or Automatic ?

If Outlook Anywhere, Whether Outlook Anywhere Funtionality is Enable or not?

What is the Error you are getting, when you trying to connect Outlook with Exchange 2010?

Rdgs,

S Kannan

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:28 AM
  • Hi no I haven't setup autodiscover, thats only required to automate and help the client connect isnt it?.  I know the connection details, sorry im not an exchange expert so sorry if im assuming here !

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:35 AM
  • Outlook anywhere is enabled, OWA is working fine so its the outlook 2007 client i'm having issues with. Im trying to setup the client using Cached exchange mode, entering my exchange server details and user name, when i try and check the name it fails saying connection cant be established or something similar.

Have I missed something simple on the backend I need to enable ?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:40 AM
  • might be pretty basic question but I assume the system attendant is started ? (I've seen it not start automatically and it's caught me several times working on stuff)
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:02 AM
  • In Outlook AnyWhere funationality, What is the Authentication you have set NTLM or Basic?

Validate the Outlook Anywhere Funtionality as per below link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633453.aspx 

If you are using Outlook Anywhere for the external user also then validate using

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Kindly run the Outllook 2007 with SP 2 also.

Validate DNS lookup in the remote site for Exchange server and autodiscover.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Yes the system attendant is running and set to automatic.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:06 AM
  • thanks for these links, I think i need to get auto discover configured, is there a good article for that for Exchange 2010 ?
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:12 AM
  • Good Article for Exchange 2010 Autodiscover?

If yes, here the link

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124251.aspx

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:18 AM
  • Autodiscover is not just there for configuring your client, but is vital for Outlook 2007+ to work correctly. It plays a role in Free/Busy, Offline Address Book and a bunch of other critical things. Although not having it availble from the oustide should not prevent your clients from connecting if they are configured correctly.

If you fix autodiscover, it should help you configure your clients with the correct settings, if it is a configuration issues.

Are you publishing via a TMG / ISA?

Casper Pieterse, Principle Consultant - UC, Dimension Data South Africa, Microsoft Certified Master: Exchange 2007
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:06 PM
  • So i dont need autodiscovery specifically configured in order for a Outool 2007 client to connect:  I ran the https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ last night for HTTP RPC connectivity and its complaining about : The certificate chain couldn't be built. You may be missing required intermediate certificates. 

I dont think this is the issue why my client cant connect ? 

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:14 AM
  • this is resolved now
    • Marked as answer by Mooihoek Monday, May 31, 2010 11:36 AM
    Monday, May 31, 2010 11:36 AM