none
Exchange 2010 RC OWA can't login

Question

• Hey,

I have installed the new Exchange 2010 Release Candidate on Windows Server 2008 R2. The installation worked well and I like that you don't have to select all IIS features manually anymore!
    There is a problem with the OWA (Outlook Web App) for me though: I cannot login to it. It keeps saying the username or password isn't correct. This is what I've tried:
    - 3 different users, all don't work. One of which is the Administrator-user itself.
    - I set the OWA Authentication to Domain\user name and User name only, where I selected the right domain. Doesn't work with both ways.
    - With one of the users, I logged in to a Windows 7 machine with Outlook 2010, and it connects without a problem. So the username/password combination definately is good.
    - Switched back and forth through public and private computer at the security setting in the OWA website.

Is anyone else having problems with their OWA?

Thanks,
    Ruud van Strijp
    Ruud van Strijp - Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:33 PM

Answers

• BMcCann,

I hope you are on Win2k8R2 RTM, and you need to have other authentication components also like Basic, Digest etc...

So to be sure that have complete comonent prerequisites, can you run below cmdlet in powershell, reboot the server and check?

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:01 AM

All replies

• Did you do an IISRESET /NoForce after changing this auth setting?

Henrik Walther | MVP: Exchange | MCM: Exchange 2007 | MSExchange.org
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:24 AM
  • hi,

agree with Henrik and you can reset OWA folders.

just look at here ;

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/exchange2007/exchange2007_owa.htm

regards,

Mumin CICEK | Exchange - MVP | www.cozumpark.com | www.mumincicek.com
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:24 AM
  • If you still get problem after IISReset /NoForce then test OWA connectivity from powershell cmdlet and see if you get any error...

Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential domain\user) -URL https://ExchCASServerName.domain.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate | FL

Amit Tank | MVP – Exchange Server | MCITP: EMA | MCSA: M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com

• Proposed as answer by Diego86 Monday, January 24, 2011 11:03 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:01 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, I was away for the weekend so I couldn't test your tips yet. Now I've tested them, and these are the results:

I already ran the iisreset /noforce before to change the auth way (direct in domain or not), which gives this error:

C:\Users\Administrator>iisreset /noforce

Attempting stop...
    Restart attempt failed.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
     (2147943453, 8007041d)

So instead I have to use either iisreset without /noforce, or restart the service in the services mmc. After doing iisreset /noforce, I also get this error when I start PS. But that is because it doesn't properly restart the service. I figured I might as  well just post it here, maybe something is wrong with my IIS and it's not Exchange...

WARNING: The service w3svc (World Wide Web Publishing Service) is not running. Connecting to Remote Powershell requires
     this service to be Running.
    WARNING: The service w3svc (World Wide Web Publishing Service) is not running. Connecting to Remote Powershell requires
    Failed to connect to any Exchange Server in the current site.
    Please enter the Server FQDN where you want to connect:

So because it still doesn't work after restarting IIS (or the whole Windows 2008 R2 machine), I ran the powershell command:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential van-strijp\ruud) -URL https://ex2010.va
    n-strijp.local/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate | FL
    WARNING: The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.
    WARNING: Test failed for URL 'https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa/'.

RunspaceId                  : d28b599e-4aee-4859-958c-22cf67eb480f
    AuthenticationMethod        : FBA
    MailboxServer               :
    LocalSite                   : Default-First-Site-Name
    SecureAccess                : True
    VirtualDirectoryName        :
    Url                         :
    https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa/
    UrlType                     : Unknown
    Port                        : 0
    ConnectionType              : Plaintext
    ClientAccessServerShortName :
    LocalSiteShortName          : Default-First-Site-Name
    ClientAccessServer          :
    Scenario                    : Logon
    ScenarioDescription         : Sign in to Outlook Web App and verify the response page.
    PerformanceCounterName      : Logon Latency
    Result                      : Skipped
    Error                       : The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.
    UserName                    : ruud
    StartTime                   : 24/08/2009 9:49:30 AM
    Latency                     : -00:00:00.0010000
    EventType                   : Warning
    LatencyInMillisecondsString :
    Identity                    :
    IsValid                     : True

As you see, even here it gives an auth failure. Though I'm logged in to the domain with that exact username-password combination on my Windows 7 testbox.

Ruud van Strijp - Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:01 PM
  • Try IISReset /NoForce, couple of times more. It doesn't respond sometime if Exchange server doesn't have resources or enough memory.

Also run Test-OWAConnectivity with -verbose and -debug parameter to see where it fails...

Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential van-strijp\ruud) -URL https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL

• Proposed as answer by Jiří Janata Monday, January 17, 2011 10:55 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Hello Amit,

Thanks for your reply. I did iisreset /noforce a few times in a row, in the end it worked. Strange, since the Exchange VM has 4GB RAM and 2 vCPU's of a Q6600. Should be fine for a test-environment I suppose.

I also executed the command you said, with this as the outcome:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential van-strijp\ruud) -URL https://ex2010.va
    n-strijp.local/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL
    VERBOSE: [18:19:10.005 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:
    View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'van-strijp.local', Configuration Domain Controller:
    'Ex2010.van-strijp.local', Preferred Global Catalog: 'Ex2010.van-strijp.local', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{
    Ex2010.van-strijp.local }'
    VERBOSE: [18:19:10.007 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user:
    van-strijp.local/Users/Administrator, Executing user organization: , Current organization: , RBAC-enabled: Enabled.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:10.008 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:10.009 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin
     Audit Log Agent".
    VERBOSE: [18:19:10.011 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: {Domain Read Scope: {, }, Domain Write
    Scope(s): {, }, Configuration Scope: {, }, Server Configuration Scope(s): {, }, , Exclusive Scope: {, }}

Confirm
    Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag has been set. The task won't verify that the server certificate is valid before sending
     the user requests and credentials to this server.
    User credentials will be used for the following user: van-strijp\ruud
    Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server Ex2010.van-strijp.local?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.462 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.464 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL 'https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa'
     specified with the -URL argument.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.477 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so any certificate
    will be trusted.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.477 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without credentials for
    authentication type verification.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.478 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The HTTP request succeeded with result code 200 (OK).
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.478 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The sign-in page is from Outlook Web App, not ISA Server.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.479 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The server reported that it supports authentication method FBA.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.479 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : This virtual directory URL type is External or Unknown, so the
    authentication type won't be checked.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.480 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Sending HTTP request for logon page
    'https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa/auth/owaauth.dll'.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.480 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Trying to sign in with method 'Fba'.
    VERBOSE: [18:19:28.480 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The HTTP request succeeded with result code 200 (OK).
    WARNING: The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.

Confirm
    Continue with this operation?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    WARNING: Test failed for URL 'https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa/'.

Confirm
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

RunspaceId                  : ba1a67ed-45af-40d7-9cb8-2e29be56a83d
    AuthenticationMethod        : FBA
    Url                         :
    https://ex2010.van-strijp.local/owa/
    ScenarioDescription         : Sign in to Outlook Web App and verify the response page.
    Result                      : Skipped
    Error                       : The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.
    UserName                    : ruud
    StartTime                   : 24/08/2009 2:19:28 PM
    EventType                   : Warning

VERBOSE: [18:19:44.747 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

I can't really see anything in this other than 'authentication failure'.

Monday, August 24, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hey Ruud...waiting on an answer too. My results are pretty much the same as yours. My frustration comes from the fact I could actually login once (the first time I tried) and the next day (and ever since) no-can-do! I’ve been over DNS and IIS but there doesn’t seem to be an explanation. Even though I'm sure there's a good one...

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Fought with this one for a while... Add the Windows Authentication provider to the IIS role.
    • Proposed as answer by dawho1 Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:52 AM
  • This didn't do it for me. Restarted the box after doing that just to be sure.  The following is installed for the IIS role:
    • Static Content
    • Default Document
    • ASP.NET
    • .NET Extensibility
    • ISAPI Extensions
    • ISAPI Filters
    • Windows Authentication (as suggested)
    • Request Filtering
    • IIS Management Console
    • IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
    I get the same authentication failure when I run the verbose test command in the EMS, yet my username works fine with Outlook 2007 on my Windows 7 box.

Also, ActiveSync on my phone is also telling me incorrect password.  Other relevant tidbits:
    1. When I click on EMC -> Server Configuration -> Client Access -> Outlook Web App tab, I get An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The error message is Access is denied. . HResult = -2147024891 It was running the command 'Get-OwaVirtualDirectory'.
    2. When I click on EMC -> Server Configuration -> Client Access -> Exchange ActiveSync tab, I get An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The error message is Access is denied. . HResult = -2147024891 It was running the command 'Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory'.
    I did find this but the group it mentions is already in local Administrators, no dice:
    • http://exchangeshare.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/exchange-2010-beta1-bunch-of-faqs-tips-known-issues/
    5.2 When you click on CAS Server properties you may get below error.
    ————————— 
    Microsoft Exchange 
    ————————— 
    Unable to create IIS (Internet Information Service) directory entry. Error Message is: Access is denied. 
    . HResult = -2147024891 It was running command ‘get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory’.
    This is know issue with current Beta1 and you need to add "Microsoft Exchange Security Groups\ Exchange Trusted Subsystem" group to Local Administrators group on all Exchange servers and Restart the CAS server.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:32 AM
  • BMcCann,

I hope you are on Win2k8R2 RTM, and you need to have other authentication components also like Basic, Digest etc...

So to be sure that have complete comonent prerequisites, can you run below cmdlet in powershell, reboot the server and check?

Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:01 AM
  • BMcCann,

Thanks  Amit, that was it indeed. Apparently the Exchange 2010 installation doesn't install all the right features for the IIS role.

I haven't actually used your cmdlet, but checked out the list of installed features myself. There I saw these ones missing:
    - Basic auth
    - Digest auth
    - Dynamic Content Compression
    - IIS6 Management Console

After installing Basic and Digest authentication, I could just log on to OWA.

So thanks again Amit. I hope knowing these features are missing, solves the problems for the rest as well :)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:43 PM
  • This worked for me as well.  Thank you for your help Amit!  Exchange team: may want to have the Exchange 2010 setup either check for these in the readiness check, or install them itself.  By the way, mine is working without Digest, looks like it was missing Basic (and Windows).

I do still get errors in EMC when I clck on the two tabs mentioned in my earlier post.  Anyone else?

Brendan
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Glad to know that you guys are able to access OWA now!

BMcCann, You can startup with a new thread for other EMC errors.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:41 AM
  • This solver my issue in a flash -- I had scipt that install my pre-req's an I didn't even notice that it missed the Web-Auth features for IIS 7.

Thanks man -- Saved me a lot of time.

Dave Kawula
    TriCon Technical Services Inc.
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Amit, I am getting following:

[PS] C:\>Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,
    Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Activ
    ation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy
    The term 'Add-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Ch
    eck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Add-WindowsFeature <<<<  NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,
    Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Acti
    vation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Add-WindowsFeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hi ppatel123.

I had the same issue after Exchange 2010 installation, here is what I have done:
    From the Windows 2008 server manager, choose the IIS role and install (under Security) : Basic Authentication and Windows Authentication.

Hope it will help you as well.

• Proposed as answer by Noam Lichtblau Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:37 AM
  • OMG.. I been having the same issue and found -
     Basic auth
    - Digest auth
    - Dynamic Content Compression
    - IIS6 Management Console

is not installed by preinstall by default. I am installing that now, will let you know the status
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:05 PM
  • WORKING NOW... THANKS......

WHY WEBAPP IS SLOW?
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:08 PM
  • same here everything is installed but cannot autenticate, when I use the test with verbose I get the same error than Ruud van Strijp...
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Tried all of this. but no luck.. :(

This is my output when running the command :
    Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential domain\user) -URL https://ExchCASServerName.domain.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL

Welcome to the Exchange Management Shell!

Full list of cmdlets:          get-command
     Only Exchange cmdlets:         get-excommand
     Cmdlets for a specific role:   get-help -role *UM* or *Mailbox*
     Get general help:              help
     Get help for a cmdlet:         help <cmdlet-name> or <cmdlet-name> -?
     Show quick reference guide:    quickref
     Exchange team blog:            get-exblog
     Show full output for a cmd:    <cmd> | format-list

Tip of the day #46:

Want to control the properties of e-mail messages sent to a specific domain? Use the RemoteDomain cmdlets. Create a new
    remote domain by using the New-RemoteDomain cmdlet. Type:

New-RemoteDomain -Name "Contoso.com Configuration" -DomainName contoso.com

Then modify the properties that you want for this remote domain by using the Set-RemoteDomain cmdlet:

Set-RemoteDomain "Contoso.com Configuration" -AutoReplyEnabled $True -AutoForwardEnabled $True

VERBOSE: Connecting to sername.domain.local
    VERBOSE: Connected to sername.domain.local.
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential corp\test2010) -URL https://mailserver
    corp-systems.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.913 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Initializing Active Directory server settings for the remote Windows
     PowerShell session.
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.935 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:
    View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'corp.local', Configuration Domain Controller: 'sername.domain.local',
    Preferred Global Catalog: 'sername.domain.local', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ sername.domain.local }'
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.936 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user: corp.local/Users/Administrator,
    Executing user organization: , Current organization: , RBAC-enabled: Enabled.
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.937 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing.
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.945 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin
     Audit Log Agent".
    VERBOSE: [15:39:36.947 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: {Domain Read Scope: {, }, Domain Write
    Scope(s): {, }, Configuration Scope: {, }, Server Configuration Scope(s): {, }, , Exclusive Scope: {, }}

Confirm
    The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag has been set. The task won't verify that the server certificate is valid before sending
    User credentials will be used for the following user: corp\test2010
    Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server sername.domain.local?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y
    VERBOSE: [15:39:40.288 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .
    VERBOSE: [15:39:40.289 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL
    'https://owa.corp-domain.com/owa' specified with the -URL argument.
    VERBOSE: [15:39:42.582 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so any certificate
    will be trusted.
    VERBOSE: [15:39:42.583 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without credentials for
    WARNING: The test couldn't establish a connection to Outlook Web App.

Confirm
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y

RunspaceId                  : 1ef533bc-3345-44ff-9ee4-7d11f3be94f1
    AuthenticationMethod        :
    Url                         : https://owa.corp-domain.com/owa/
    Result                      : Failure
    Error                       : The test couldn't establish a connection to Outlook Web App.
    UserName                    : test2010
    StartTime                   : 11/05/2010 16:39:42
    EventType                   : Error

VERBOSE: [15:39:50.837 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:44 PM
  • good stuff, works a treat :)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 12:22 AM
  • c.Truter - same problem here.  All authentication is in place Basic/Windows/Digest.....were you able to resove?

Monday, September 20, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Hi Amit,

I am publishing OWA 2010 through TMG 2010. OWA and TMG authentication i made as Basic Authentication. And i pointed my "mail.xyy.com" A record to TMG IP(10.10.1.1) . alll the internal and external user are connectiong through TMG. I am getting OWA login page through TMG. Everything was working fine. But now i am facing problem in OWA login authentication, when i give domain\username and password its not logining in to OWA. Kindly help me. 

Thanks in advance. 

Sunday, December 19, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi ,

I am publishing OWA 2010 through TMG 2010. OWA and TMG authentication i made as Basic Authentication. And i pointed my "mail.xyy.com" A record to TMG IP(10.10.1.1) . alll the internal and external user are connectiong through TMG. I am getting OWA login page through TMG. Everything was working fine. But now i am facing problem in OWA login authentication, when i give domain\username and password its not logining in to OWA. Kindly help me. 

Thanks in advance. 

Monday, December 20, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi Boobalmach,

Please tell us the error message you get or does you only see the login page
    again and again?

Which authentification did you enabled - basic and integrated? Please check
    the following manual:
    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Publishing-Outlook-Web-Access-Microsoft-Forefront-TMG.html
    Is OWA directly working via https://ex/owa?
    Best regards
    Christian

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Hi Christian, 

thanks for your reply. 

I am not getting any error. I am getting the login page again and again without any error.

OWA is directly working fine without any issue i can able to login. Only when i access through TMG i am getting login page again and again.

Please help me.

Monday, December 20, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Hi Boobalmach,

OWA is directly working fine without any issue i can able to login. Only when i access through TMG i am getting login page again and again.

Please help me.

If the auth is set correct, I believe the problem is related to TMG. As a
    result you should ask in the forefront forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-AT/Forefrontedgegeneral/threads?filter=unanswered

There are the TMG set up exerts and the know where are the required
    configurations.
    Best regards
    Christian

Monday, December 20, 2010 1:15 PM
  • Hi Christian, 

I have followed the procedure mentioned in the link which you have given. Still same problem. I have enabled Basic authentication in both OWA and TMG settings.

I am not getting any error. I am getting the login page again and again without any error.

Please help me.

Monday, December 20, 2010 1:24 PM
  • You should ask in the forefront forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/de-AT/Forefrontedgegeneral/threads?filter=unanswered

Please link the new thread here...

Best regards

Christian

Monday, December 20, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Hi Christian,

Thanks for your response. Issue is solved. I have deleted all old configuration and network settings and created new publishing rules and network settings.

Now everything is working fine. Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:34 AM
  • Hello Boobalmach,

I am having the same problem while accessing owa, as you had. I got the login screen, type my usn/pass and nothing happens. I do not understand exactly what did you meen when you said that deleting old configuration and network settings resolved your issue? Can you please tel me precicely what configuration setings have you reconfigure?

Thank you in advance

Monday, August 08, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Amit ,

We are facing issue regarding accessing owa after new installation of exchange server 2010 and try with the above command but it gives an error .

We check all the IIS settings which is set on default wise.

Vivek 

Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

I resolved the issue, by removing the old rules and created single rule for OWA and Outlook anywhere by adding RPC folder path in TMG publishing rule. and also in TMG network NIC card settings i have reoved gateway IP address from Internal NIC. Things are fin. Thanks your response.

Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Amit,

We got problem with internal owa.

Our users can't access webmail from internal network if they use full dns name https://webmail.tisa.az/owa

But they can access it if they put https://srv-ex01/owa

I run  the command 

Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential domain\user) -URL https://ExchCASServerName.domain.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL 

for both URLs

-------------------------------------------------

http://srv-ex01/owa

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential tisa\tisamanager) -URL https://srv-ex01

/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL

VERBOSE: [05:03:53.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:

View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'tisa.az', Configuration Domain Controller: 'srv-dc02.tisa.az', Preferred

Global Catalog: 'srv-dc01.tisa.az', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ srv-dc01.tisa.az }'

VERBOSE: [05:03:53.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user: tisa.az/Users/Administrator,

VERBOSE: [05:03:53.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing &

VERBOSE: [05:03:53.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin

Audit Log Agent".

VERBOSE: [05:03:53.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: { Recipient Read Scope: {{, }}, Recipient Write

Scopes: {{, }}, Configuration Read Scope: {{, }}, Configuration Write Scope(s): {{, }, }, Exclusive Recipient

Scope(s): {}, Exclusive Configuration Scope(s): {} }

Confirm

User credentials will be used for the following user: tisa\tisamanager

Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server SRV-EX01.tisa.az?

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.730 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.745 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL 'https://srv-ex01/owa' specified with

the -URL argument.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.745] : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so

any certificate will be trusted.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.745] : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without

credentials for authentication type verification.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.745] : The server reported that it supports authentication

methods Basic and WindowsIntegrated.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.745] : This virtual directory URL type is External or

Unknown, so the authentication type won't be checked.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.761] : Trying to sign in with method 'Basic'.

VERBOSE: [05:03:59.855 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:03:59.761] : Sending HTTP request for logon page

'https://srv-ex01/owa/'.

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.292 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.183] : The HTTP request succeeded with result code 200

(OK).

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.292 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.214] : Get logon page succeeded.

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.292 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.230] : Sending HTTP GET logoff request.

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.308 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.308] : The HTTP request succeeded with result code 200

(OK).

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.308 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.308] : The logoff request succeeded.

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.308 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:00.308] : The test PASSED for URL 'https://srv-ex01/owa/'.

RunspaceId                  : bf45acf7-ceee-432b-9e78-853c0fea5855

AuthenticationMethod        : Basic

MailboxServer               :

LocalSite                   : Default-First-Site-Name

SecureAccess                : True

VirtualDirectoryName        :

Url                         : https://srv-ex01/owa/

UrlType                     : Unknown

Port                        : 0

ConnectionType              : Plaintext

LocalSiteShortName          : Default-First-Site-Name

ClientAccessServer          :

Scenario                    : Logon

ScenarioDescription         : Sign in to Outlook Web App and verify the response page.

PerformanceCounterName      : Logon Latency

Result                      : Success

Error                       :

UserName                    : tisamanager

StartTime                   : 9/27/2011 10:03:59 AM

Latency                     : 00:00:00.4687500

EventType                   : Success

LatencyInMillisecondsString : 468.75

Identity                    :

IsValid                     : True

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.323 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Admin Audit Log: Entered Handler:OnComplete.

VERBOSE: [05:04:00.339 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing &

-------------------------------------------------

https://webmail.tisa.az/owa

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential tisa\tisamanager) -URL https://webmail.

tisa.az/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL

VERBOSE: [05:04:37.198 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:

View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'tisa.az', Configuration Domain Controller: 'srv-dc02.tisa.az', Preferred

Global Catalog: 'srv-dc01.tisa.az', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{ srv-dc01.tisa.az }'

VERBOSE: [05:04:37.198 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user: tisa.az/Users/Administrator,

VERBOSE: [05:04:37.198 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing &

VERBOSE: [05:04:37.198 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin

Audit Log Agent".

VERBOSE: [05:04:37.198 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: { Recipient Read Scope: {{, }}, Recipient Write

Scopes: {{, }}, Configuration Read Scope: {{, }}, Configuration Write Scope(s): {{, }, }, Exclusive Recipient

Scope(s): {}, Exclusive Configuration Scope(s): {} }

Confirm

User credentials will be used for the following user: tisa\tisamanager

Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server SRV-EX01.tisa.az?

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.761 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.761 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL 'https://webmail.tisa.az/owa'

specified with the -URL argument.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.761] : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so

any certificate will be trusted.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.776] : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without

credentials for authentication type verification.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.776] : The server reported that it supports authentication

methods Basic and WindowsIntegrated.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.776] : This virtual directory URL type is External or

Unknown, so the authentication type won't be checked.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.776] : Trying to sign in with method 'Basic'.

VERBOSE: [05:04:39.886 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : [10:04:39.776] : Sending HTTP request for logon page

'https://webmail.tisa.az/owa/'.

WARNING: [10:04:39.917] : The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.

Confirm

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

WARNING: [10:04:39.917] : Test failed for URL 'https://webmail.tisa.az/owa/'.

Confirm

[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

RunspaceId                  : bf45acf7-ceee-432b-9e78-853c0fea5855

AuthenticationMethod        : Basic

MailboxServer               :

LocalSite                   : Default-First-Site-Name

SecureAccess                : True

VirtualDirectoryName        :

Url                         : https://webmail.tisa.az/owa/

UrlType                     : Unknown

Port                        : 0

ConnectionType              : Plaintext

LocalSiteShortName          : Default-First-Site-Name

ClientAccessServer          :

Scenario                    : Logon

ScenarioDescription         : Sign in to Outlook Web App and verify the response page.

PerformanceCounterName      : Logon Latency

Result                      : Skipped

Error                       : The test couldn't sign in to Outlook Web App due to an authentication failure.

UserName                    : tisamanager

StartTime                   : 9/27/2011 10:04:39 AM

Latency                     : -00:00:00.0010000

EventType                   : Warning

Identity                    :

IsValid                     : True

VERBOSE: [05:05:29.980 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Admin Audit Log: Entered Handler:OnComplete.

VERBOSE: [05:05:29.995 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing &

---------------------------------------------

security logs on Exchange server

for successful logons

Detailed Authentication Information:

Logon Process: Kerberos

Authentication Package: Kerberos

Transited Services: -

Package Name (NTLM only): -

Key Length: 0

for unsuccessful logons
    Detailed Authentication Information:
    Logon Process: NtLmSsp 
    Authentication Package: NTLM
    Transited Services: -
    Package Name (NTLM only): -
    Key Length: 0

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

when I go to the cmdlet in powershell I get error : "no such command"

Hos to resolve this?

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Hi,

Where can I find these features to install??

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Amit Tank,

kindly  help here:

owa cant log on for first time:

Welcome to the Exchange Management Shell!

Full list of cmdlets:          get-command
     Only Exchange cmdlets:         get-excommand
     Cmdlets for a specific role:   get-help -role *UM* or *Mailbox*
     Get general help:              help
     Get help for a cmdlet:         help <cmdlet-name> or <cmdlet-name> -?
     Show quick reference guide:    quickref
     Exchange team blog:            get-exblog
     Show full output for a cmd:    <cmd> | format-list

Tip of the day #8:

Pushd and Popd work the same way in the Exchange Management Shell as they do in cmd.exe. Type:

Pushd <location>

VERBOSE: Connecting to xchange.fidelitybankplc.net
    VERBOSE: Connected to xchange.fidelitybankplc.net.
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Start-EdgeSynchronization

RunspaceId     : aa018881-633c-4ac1-a1cd-70c0805644c2
    Result         : Success
    Type           : Recipients
    Name           : MOMSERVER
    FailureDetails :
    StartUTC       : 11/2/2011 4:40:32 PM
    EndUTC         : 11/2/2011 4:40:32 PM
    Added          : 0
    Deleted        : 0
    Updated        : 0
    Scanned        : 0
    TargetScanned  : 0

Type           : Configuration
    FailureDetails :
    StartUTC       : 11/2/2011 4:40:32 PM
    EndUTC         : 11/2/2011 4:40:32 PM

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Start-EdgeSynchronization

Type           : Configuration
    FailureDetails :
    StartUTC       : 11/3/2011 7:32:02 AM
    EndUTC         : 11/3/2011 7:32:03 AM

Type           : Recipients
    FailureDetails :
    StartUTC       : 11/3/2011 7:32:02 AM
    EndUTC         : 11/3/2011 7:32:05 AM

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential domain\user) -URL https://ExchCASServer
    Name.domain.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL
    VERBOSE: [08:47:57.894 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:
    View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'fidelitybankplc.net', Configuration Domain Controller:
    'LABAD.fidelitybankplc.net', Preferred Global Catalog: 'xchange.fidelitybankplc.net', Preferred Domain Controllers: '{
    xchange.fidelitybankplc.net }'
    VERBOSE: [08:47:58.003 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user:
    fidelitybankplc.net/Users/Administrator, Executing user organization: , Current organization: , RBAC-enabled: Enabled.
    VERBOSE: [08:47:58.035 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing.
    VERBOSE: [08:47:58.113 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin
     Audit Log Agent".
    VERBOSE: [08:47:59.829 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: {Domain Read Scope: {, }, Domain Write

Confirm
    User credentials will be used for the following user: fidelitybankplc\administrator
    Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server XCHANGE.fidelitybankplc.net?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    VERBOSE: [08:49:59.152 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .
    VERBOSE: [08:49:59.620 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL
    'https://exchcasservername.domain.com/owa' specified with the -URL argument.
    VERBOSE: [08:50:04.207 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so any certificate
    will be trusted.
    VERBOSE: [08:50:04.222 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without credentials for

Confirm
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y

RunspaceId                  : aa018881-633c-4ac1-a1cd-70c0805644c2
    Url                         : https://exchcasservername.domain.com/owa/
    Error                       : The test couldn't establish a connection to Outlook Web App.
    UserName                    : administrator
    StartTime                   : 11/3/2011 9:50:04 AM

VERBOSE: [08:50:19.011 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metab
    ase,Web-Net-Ext,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compressio
    n,NET-HTTP-Activation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy
    The term 'Add-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Ch
    eck the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:19
    + Add-WindowsFeature <<<<  NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,Web-Server,Web-Basic-Auth,Web-Windows-Auth,Web-Metabase,Web-Net-Ext,
    Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,WAS-Process-Model,RSAT-Web-Server,Web-ISAPI-Ext,Web-Digest-Auth,Web-Dyn-Compression,NET-HTTP-Acti
    vation,RPC-Over-HTTP-Proxy
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Add-WindowsFeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>IISReset /NoForce

Attempting stop...
    Restart attempt failed.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. (2147943453, 8007041d)

Attempting stop...
    Restart attempt failed.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. (2147943453, 8007041d)

Attempting stop...
    Internet services successfully stopped
    Attempting start...
    Internet services successfully restarted
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Test-OwaConnectivity -MailboxCredential (get-credential domain\user) -URL https://ExchCASServer
    Name.domain.com/owa -TrustAnySSLCertificate -Verbose -Debug | FL
    Creating a new session for implicit remoting of "Test-OwaConnectivity" command...
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.025 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Initializing Active Directory server settings for the remote Windows
     PowerShell session.
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.244 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Active Directory session settings for 'Test-OwaConnectivity' are:
    View Entire Forest: 'False', Default Scope: 'fidelitybankplc.net', Configuration Domain Controller:
    'xchange.fidelitybankplc.net', Preferred Global Catalog: 'xchange.fidelitybankplc.net', Preferred Domain Controllers:
    '{ xchange.fidelitybankplc.net }'
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.259 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Runspace context: Executing user:
    fidelitybankplc.net/Users/Administrator, Executing user organization: , Current organization: , RBAC-enabled: Enabled.
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.275 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Beginning processing.
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.478 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Instantiating handler with index 0 for cmdlet extension agent "Admin
     Audit Log Agent".
    VERBOSE: [09:02:04.603 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Current ScopeSet is: {Domain Read Scope: {, }, Domain Write

Confirm
    User credentials will be used for the following user: Fidelitybankplc\Administrator
    Do you want to test Outlook Web App connectivity on Client Access server XCHANGE.fidelitybankplc.net?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [?] Help (default is "Y"): a
    VERBOSE: [09:02:14.103 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Resolved current organization: .
    VERBOSE: [09:02:14.165 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Adding a test instance for URL
    'https://exchcasservername.domain.com/owa' specified with the -URL argument.
    VERBOSE: [09:02:16.583 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : The TrustAnySSLCertificate flag was specified, so any certificate
    will be trusted.
    VERBOSE: [09:02:16.583 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Sending the HTTP GET logon request without credentials for

Confirm
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [H] Halt Command  [?] Help (default is "Y"): a

RunspaceId                  : a077736f-f7f2-4ee3-8921-70d2240608cd
    Url                         : https://exchcasservername.domain.com/owa/
    UserName                    : Administrator
    StartTime                   : 11/3/2011 10:02:16 AM

VERBOSE: [09:02:23.307 GMT] Test-OwaConnectivity : Ending processing.

Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:09 AM
  • HELLO Amit,

Thanks a million

I have  resloved the first challenge.

Thanks

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Open Server Manager on the exchange server, features and install RPC over HTTP Proxy.

It should work for you.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by am.Sudhakar Monday, March 19, 2012 6:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by am.Sudhakar Monday, March 19, 2012 6:16 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Thanks .. Its working
    Monday, March 19, 2012 6:18 PM