none
Exporting Outlook 2010 Contacts to Excel - Contacts Not Exporting

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to export my contact groups into Excel so that I can send them to someone else within the company for her use. I went through these steps (from Jennifer Zhan):

Open Outlook on the computer containing the desired contacts and click the "File" tab.

1. Click "Options" then click "Advanced" to display advanced Outlook options.

2. Click the "Export" button, then select "Export to a file" and click "Next."

3. Select "CommaSeparatedValues (Windows)" as the file type and click "Next."

4. Select the Contacts folder when prompted, then click "Next." This will export all individual contacts and contact groups within the folder.

5. Click "Browse" and select where to save the export file. The destination location should be on a removable storage device such as a USB flash drive to allow you to import the file on the other computer.

6. Type a name for the file in the file name box and click "OK."

7. Click "Next" when prompted and then click "Finish."

I saved the CSV file to my desktop but when I open it all it contains is the contact title headers: "Last Name", "First Name", "E-Mail", etc. It doesn't actually contain any of the contacts' information. What is happening here?

Monday, October 22, 2012 5:06 PM

Answers

• Just to try and narrow this down a little bit more

- local or hosted Exchange account?
    - running in cached or non-cached mode?
    - connected or disconnected from the Exch server?
    - folder in your default mailbox (in the same folder tree as your Inbox) or from an Exch Public folder?

For sake of expediency in checking some things - run the export under the following scenario if your operating in cached mode

1) ensure you are logged into and connected to your Exch server
    2) run in non-cached mode
    --- run the export

If the above still doesn't work - try exporting using the following program (free) to see if it makes a difference

CodeTwo Export
    http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/outlook-export/

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
    Outlook Import/Export Hints/Tips
    Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010 - ContactGenie.com

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:56 PM

All replies

• #1 - For the sake of accuracy - you cannot export "contact groups" via the Outlook export wizard. Only actual contact items can be exported

#2 - How many folders do you have in your Outlook profile using the same folder name? Or to be more specific, are you sure that you are selecting the correct "contact folder". The best way to start an export process is to first open your contact folder so you can see all contacts in the applicable view. The export process will "default" to the "currently open contact folder" for the selection process minimizing the chance that the incorrect contact folder is being selected

#3 - As a sidenote, always "best" to confirm that the desired fields you want to export (or import for that matter) are included in the field map by clicking on the MAP CUSTOM FIELDS button between steps 6 & 7 (the fact that the field names appear in your CSV file indicates which field have been "mapped" but it's always better to take a few extra seconds and confirm that you want is there

Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010 - ContactGenie.com

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Are you selecting the correct contacts folder? If you select the contacts folder you want to export, it will be selected by default, so it should be the right one.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Monday, October 22, 2012 6:16 PM
  • The folder I am trying to export has the title "SM Sales". I don't have any other folders with that name. There are folders within SM Sales that are titled "JLQ SM-Architects" and things like that but none of them have the same name. Does that help?

I believe my mapping is correct. I did map because I only needed specifically their name and email address and that is what "exports" into my CSV file now. The file has "Name" in A1 and "E-Mail" in cell B1. That's it.

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Out of curiousity - what kind of Email Account does this contact folder belong to (POP3, Exchange, Hotmail/Outlook (Mapi)) etc?

So just to be sure - what you're saying is that

- folder "SM Sales" has contacts? correct?
    - these contacts have either "blank" or "resolved" email addresses in the Email Address field? Correct?
    - when you export this folder - no contacts are exported

On the basis that this folder is the one selected, has contacts in it (not Contact Groups), if you export just the FirstName and LastName fields - does anything get exported?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:05 AM
  • Hi ,

Please test export other items and verify the export feature is availability.

If the result is the same. Please rerun your office setup—Add/Remove-Features—Microsoft Outlook—install “Importers and Exporters”.

Wendy Liu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Test it without mapping - you can delete the extra fields by opening the csv in Excel.

If all that you need is those 2 fields, you can create a list view with just those fields then copy and paste it into Excel.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:12 PM
  • The folder "SM Sales" has groups and each group has a list of contacts, I have verified this.

Every listed contact within each group has an email address so I assume this means they are all resolved?

Correct, no contacts are exported, only title headers.

I did move one of the groups out of the folder SM Sales and tried exporting just that one and it didn't work either. I tried just the name fields and that didn't work. SM Sales does have groups in it, my understanding was that wouldn't be a problem. Is that not the case?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:27 PM
  • I tried it without mapping and it still only brings over the titles.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:32 PM
  • It's an Exchange Email Account.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:54 PM
  • The feature is available. I have verified this.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Just to try and narrow this down a little bit more

- local or hosted Exchange account?
    - running in cached or non-cached mode?
    - connected or disconnected from the Exch server?
    - folder in your default mailbox (in the same folder tree as your Inbox) or from an Exch Public folder?

For sake of expediency in checking some things - run the export under the following scenario if your operating in cached mode

1) ensure you are logged into and connected to your Exch server
    2) run in non-cached mode
    --- run the export

If the above still doesn't work - try exporting using the following program (free) to see if it makes a difference

CodeTwo Export
    http://www.codetwo.com/freeware/outlook-export/

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:56 PM