none
Event 1310 "A configuration error has ocuured"

Question

• Hello!

Yesterday I installed CU3 on my test Exchange 2013 server (in the VM), - the installation completed successfully. I tested ECP and Outlook - everything worked out well.

I then shut down the server and started it today afternoon. Here is the error I have been presented with after running ECP:

Event 1310:

-------------------------------------------------
    Event code: 3008
    Event message: A configuration error has occurred.
    Event time: 11/29/2013 4:52:22 AM
    Event time (UTC): 11/29/2013 12:52:22 PM
    Event ID: 1e3705f1adca4702a34d457d5afead16
    Event sequence: 1
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/ecp-1-130302031411491098
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /ecp
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\FrontEnd\HttpProxy\ecp\
        Machine name: MAIL

Process information:
        Process ID: 784
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Exception information:
        Exception type: ConfigurationErrorsException
        Exception message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Strings, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\FrontEnd\HttpProxy\ecp\web.config line 44)
       at System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective)
       at System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException)

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Strings, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
       at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
       at System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective)

Request information:
        Request URL: https://mail.test.local:443/ecp
        Request path: /ecp
        User host address: ::1
        User:  
        Is authenticated: False
        Authentication Type:  
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 5
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective)
       at System.Web.Configuration.AssemblyInfo.get_AssemblyInternal()
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath)
       at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart()
       at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException)

Custom event details:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell me please what can be the cause of this? The server is not operational now...

Thank you in advance,

Michael Firsov

• Edited by MF47 Friday, November 29, 2013 1:55 PM Formatting
    Friday, November 29, 2013 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi

Are all your services started? WWW services started with all dependencies?

Friday, November 29, 2013 1:48 PM
  • Yes, there are no errors in any Windows logs, all services are started. IIS is up and running.
    Friday, November 29, 2013 1:53 PM
  • Hello,

Please try to recreate ecp virtual directory to check the result.

If the issue persists, please try the following method:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files, change the ecp directory to ecp.old, and then restart iis services.

Before you change ecp directory, please backup the Temporary ASP.NET Files.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 02, 2013 4:20 AM
  • Hi Cara,

Thank you very much for your reply - I'll do what you're saying and post the result.

Regards,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Monday, December 02, 2013 8:02 AM Adding
    Monday, December 02, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Hello Cara,

Tell me, please how can I recreate ECP directory in IIS as I can not  use shell, it can't connect to the server:

Renaming ecp directory did not help.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:32 AM
  • P.S. I mean should I recreate ecp directory both in the Default Web Site and Exchange Back End?
    Wednesday, December 04, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hello,

You should recreate ecp directory in the default web site.

Before you recreate epc virtual directory, I consider you should solve your EMS issue. For your EMS issue, please refer to the following KB to solve it. (Note: Based on my known, I consider it also applies to exchange 2013)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028305

In kb, under resolution, the DLL location for this module should point to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v15\Bin\kerbauth.dll. 

Cara Chen

Friday, December 06, 2013 1:51 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I've checked all the options described in this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028305

- all of them are ok.

But the main question for me is WHAT could cause such issues on the server that has NOT any load - it's just a test server that's beeing started once a day for several hours. It has only 3 mailboxes including administrator's one...

Friday, December 06, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hello,

Did you check whether the user who is trying to connect has a Remote PowerShell Enabled status and the WSMan module is registered but not enabled at the Server level.

If these settings are ok, please open ems to check the result again.

Besides, please enable assembly bind failure logging to analyze why the assembly could not be loaded.

Set the register value :HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion, EnableLog (DWORD) to 1.

Cara Chen

Monday, December 09, 2013 1:30 AM
  • Michael,

Did you remove by any chance the self-signed certificate before shutting down the server?

Anyway, check whether there is a certificate assigned to the Exchange Back End site, and if there isn't - assign one.

Monday, December 09, 2013 4:46 AM
  • Hi all, thank you for your replies!

I must apologize for the incorrect question: during all of the CU3 installations my VM (with the Exchange Server) was paused because of the lack of the disk space, I then deleted some files/folders and resumed the VM. Inspite of no errors in any logs I got this issue. Now I was able to complete CU3 setup without interruptions and the issue has gone.

Nevertheless, I think it's rather strange that pauzing a VM may lead to unpredictable results.

And I'd like to say a couple of words regarding certificates. This post http://exctech2013.blogspot.ru/2013/10/the-web-management-service-could-not-be.html describes the same error I got during CU3 setup for the first time. The cause of it is the absence of the default WMSVC certificate in the IIS.

I really did change the certificate for all Exchange services to the one issued by my own CA (Test.mail.com). But I did this change in the Exchange console only - I did not even open IIS console:

...and I had to select the same Mail.Test.Local certificate in the Management service in IIS (the SSL certificate field was empty!) to be able to install CU3:

Now I'am a bit puzzled: my wmsvc service works well with the certificate issued by my own CA whilst the abovementioned post says it may(or must) lead to the wmsvc error... Did I do anything wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Michael

• Edited by MF47 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:17 AM typo
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:14 AM