none
Exchange 2003 to 2010 migration (PF replication problem)

Question

• Yeah, it's one of those threads. I've read probably 20 of them and tried out lots of things, but my public folders do not replicate from the old 2003 exchange to 2010. PFs are the only thing still left to migrate, everything else moved ok, and i am on the verge of despair. I was able to telnet to port 25 from both of the servers.

Things i've tried:

1.)  .\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010"

Runs for 2 seconds and returns into shell silently.

2.)  New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name 2003-2010Connector -SourceTransportServers "old server" -TargetTransportServers "new server" -Cost 100 -Bidirectional $true

Creates new connectors between the old and new servers, doesn't fix the replication problem.

3.) Manually setting up replication in the old 2003 exchange.

Exchange 2003 shows the 2010 server in replication, but tells me that the PFs are locally modified. Exchange 2010 still doesn't see any public folders.

4.) pfmigrate.wsf /S:OLDSERVERNAME /T:NEWSERVERNAME /R /F:c:\LOGNAME.log

Tells me that he "Could not find a public store associated with the public folder tree on the "Exchange 2010" server.

Any ideas how i could fix the replication?

Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Public Folder replication is very slow, and very conservative.

Check the obvious things first - that you have a public folder store, the correct store is set on the mailbox databases.

Use message tracking to see whether the content is being sent across or not - replication traffic does stick out.

Do you have any public folders on the Exchange 2010 server? get-publicfolderstatistics will show you - nothing else provides information that can be depended on.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:02 PM
  • So... I do have a public folder DB, it was the one set in the mailbox client properties. I also tried changing that one to the public folders from ex2003 - when i do that i can access them from my outlook client. My target is still moving them to the ex2010 though.

I checked the message tracking, i think i can't see any replication traffic on the 2010 side, what would it look like?

I made a single "test" public folder on the ex2010 server, get-publicfolderstatistics only shows me some system public folders and the "test" public folder. All of them have zero item count.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:52 PM
  • They stick out - something like SERVERNAME-IS. I am talking about message tracking on Exchange 2003, not Exchange 2010. You need to see if the traffic is being generated and then what Exchange is doing with it. A smart host is the most common reason for the traffic failing, followed by AV software blocking SMTP traffic.

However it can take some time before you will see anything happen. You haven't said how long you have waited to see replication traffic take place, but if it is less than a week, you haven't waited enough. I would also say that public folders should have been replicated across before mailboxes, rather than the other way round.

You can attempt to force the content across on a folder by folder basis, using the Send Content Now command in ESM on the Exchange 2003 server. That will allow you to see the traffic moving.

Simon.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hmm... 

i see sometimes something like this:

2012-01-14T17:04:40.465Z,,,,server-2010,Resolver,,ROUTING,TRANSFER,2183,<BE49D90DB13D9549B9104B0BC7D6EF1B0155F4@server2010.domain.intern>,SERVER-2003-IS@domain.intern,,3895,1,,2164,Status Request,PublicFolderDatabase0952591741@domain.intern,PublicFolderDatabase0952591741@domain.intern,,Originating,,,,

That looks more like my 2010 server is trying to replicate onto my 2003 server, which is not really what i want to do.

Also i can't really wait weeks till the PFs get finally available. "Send Content" command doesn't realy do anything, i still don't even see the hierarchy copied over to the 2010 server.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:27 PM
  • try Update-PublicFolderHierarchy -server <<2003_PFS>>

then Update-PublicFolderHierarchy -server <<2010_PFS>>

then using ESM, recursively add the 2010_PFS as a replica to all of the folders

finally look for 3018 (outgoing hierarchy) and 3028 (incoming hierarchy) entries in the application log and ... wait...

PFS replication can take a really, really long time

Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Hmm... 

i see sometimes something like this:

2012-01-14T17:04:40.465Z,,,,server-2010,Resolver,,ROUTING,TRANSFER,2183,<BE49D90DB13D9549B9104B0BC7D6EF1B0155F4@server2010.domain.intern>,SERVER-2003-IS@domain.intern,,3895,1,,2164,Status Request,PublicFolderDatabase0952591741@domain.intern,PublicFolderDatabase0952591741@domain.intern,,Originating,,,,

That looks more like my 2010 server is trying to replicate onto my 2003 server, which is not really what i want to do.

Also i can't really wait weeks till the PFs get finally available. "Send Content" command doesn't realy do anything, i still don't even see the hierarchy copied over to the 2010 server.

Send Content Now doesn't appear to do anything, because Public Folder replication is a background process. However about half an hour later if you  run a message tracking query in ESM you should see the content being sent across. You need to drill down in the Message Tracking Center to see whether the content was delivered correctly and that it was delivered to the other Exchange server. My instinct is that something is blocking the traffic, AV, Antispam, firewall etc (not the Windows firewall), or you have a smart host on the SMTP virtual server.

Simon.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi Kreativf,

You can follow the below mentioned link & tr it out.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/3df3e321-e59e-48a6-bee8-27d253fcfbfe

Regards
    Anand S 

Thanks & Regards Anand Sunka MCSA+CCNA+MCTS
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Nothing helped yet... I am starting to think that some part of the exchange or os is broken. I'll try reinstalling it this week.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:33 PM
  • Hi Kreativf,

The public folder database of Exchange server should be created under Organization configuration|Mailbox|Database Management.

Please double check to see if there is a public folder existed and then you can manually add the replication between two servers.

To verify the replication status, you may refer to the articles below:

How to troubleshoot public folder replication problems in Exchange 2000 Server and in Exchange Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842273

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Hi Kreativf,

There is no default Public Folder created automatically in Exchange 2010, manually you have to create it.

Once you create the Public Folder on EX2010 & you can the add replica on EX2003 public folder.

You can check the folder on EX2010----Go to Toolbox ------Double Click on Pubblic Folder Management Console----Here you can see the folder's which are replicated from EX2003 to EX2010

Please refer my thread link which provides troubleshooting the issues. Even I faced this type of issue.

Regards
    Anand S 

Thanks & Regards Anand Sunka MCSA+CCNA+MCTS
    Monday, January 16, 2012 11:02 AM