none
Upgrade Exchange 2007 SP1 to SP3 in coexisting Exchange 2003 / 2007

Question

• Hay Guys,

I just have a simple but tricky question but first let me show you what my exchange environment looks like;

single Exchange 2003 frontend, single Exchange 2007 SP1 CAS, single Exchange 2007 SP1 HUB, 1 Exchange 2003 Mailbox server and 2 Exchange 2007 SP1 Mailbox server without any clustering, they are on server 2003 and 2008. All the emails are going out through exchange 2003 server but I do have direct partners send connectors on 2007 Hub.

I am about to upgrade the Exchange 2007 SP1 environment to Exchange 2007 SP3 and then remove Exchange 2003 servers. I have upgraded the Schema and I just want to ask you guys that if my below plan will work with out any issues.

1. Create two new CAS/HUB 2008 R2 servers with Exchange 2007 SP3 with Rollup 8 v2

2. LB the new servers with Netscaler vpx and remove the old CAS server

3. Without upgrading old 2007 SP1 HUB server create two new Mailbox servers with Exchange SP3(I know it is against the recommendation but will it effect my scenario?)

4. At this stage I should not be able to route emails to internet from new CAS/HUB servers but Internal should work 

5. Apart from the default RGC, create 2 additional individual RG connectors for each new HUB servers which will allow me to route emails to internet through Exchange 2003 server.

6. Move Mailboxes from old servers to new servers and remove the old servers.

My only problem is that I cannot upgrade old servers at all (some internal reasons) and I also cannot upgrade or remove the Exchange 2007 SP1 HUB server till almost next year due to direct send connectors to partners sites which I have no control off but I want to upgrade the environment before next year. Do i get any issues with keeping HUB on SP1 when MAILBOX server will be moved to SP3.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance for any suggestion.

• Edited by Qas786 Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:47 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I suggest you upgrade all the servers to SP3, or leave all the servers to SP1, should not upgrade mailbox server to sp3, but leave Hub server with sp1.

If you install Exchange 2007 SP3 on a computer that is running the RTM version of Exchange 2007, all server roles are upgraded to Exchange 2007 SP3. You cannot choose which server roles you want to upgrade to Exchange 2007 SP3.

You can follow this order to upgrade:

Client Access servers

Unified Messaging servers

Hub Transport servers

Edge Transport servers

Mailbox servers

You can know more detail from this document:

Release Notes for Exchange Server 2007 SP3
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(v=exchg.80).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you upgrade all the servers to SP3, or leave all the servers to SP1, should not upgrade mailbox server to sp3, but leave Hub server with sp1.

If you install Exchange 2007 SP3 on a computer that is running the RTM version of Exchange 2007, all server roles are upgraded to Exchange 2007 SP3. You cannot choose which server roles you want to upgrade to Exchange 2007 SP3.

You can follow this order to upgrade:

Client Access servers

Unified Messaging servers

Hub Transport servers

Edge Transport servers

Mailbox servers

You can know more detail from this document:

Release Notes for Exchange Server 2007 SP3
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607233(v=exchg.80).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Can I leave Hub server on SP1 for let say two to three weeks and every thing else on SP3?
    Friday, December 14, 2012 9:38 AM
  • I suggest you not to do that, it is better to keep all the servers in the same version.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:38 AM