none
Exchange 2003 - Newbie Help - Use DNS to route...

Question

• Dear TechNet,

First of all, I'd like to apologies for posting in this particular forum, but I wasn't sure where I should post. (Windows 2003 Small Business Server / Exchange 2003)

I don't have deep knowledge of managing an Exchange Server since the IT person had resigned, so as the most knowledgeable IT person next to him (which isn't a lot) has to deal with this.

Over the last few weeks, we've been getting some Email bounce backs for various reasons (two examples of this morning down below). I'd check http://mxtoolbox.com/ to see if we're blacklisted, but we're not.

To temporarily get it working again for these particular recipients, I had gone into our Exchange System Manager > Connectors > SmallBusiness SMTP Connector > General and change from "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts" to "Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector". As stated, this works, but I'm not sure how secure this is.

I suspect that our ISP is suffering from Outbound SMTP problems...but they deny, despite contacting them regarding it. I can't dispute that it's a configuration issue on our end...but I lack the knowledge to find a solution to the problem. My initial thought was to look deeper into logs for the emails that are having problems...but I can't find the appropriate logs (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1 is where I'm going).

Is it possible to make "Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector" more secure? We had spamming issues a few years ago, so I'm a little worried with our current settings.

---

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

name@domain.com on 12/11/2012 10:00

None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient.

---

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

FirstName SecondName on 12/11/2012 09:29

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.

<domain.co.uk #5.5.0 smtp;552 NZV11k0062Cu7Jg01ZV2G3 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.>

---
    • Edited by Stephen1982 Monday, November 12, 2012 1:53 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers