none
EWS Managed API-Null pointer exception when binding to an appointment

Question

• Hi all, I am uisng Java EWS Managed API 1.1.3 with Exchange 2007 SP 1 and I am trying to delete a recurring meeting by binding to the master id as follows:

Appointment meeting = Appointment.bind(service, new ItemId(masterIDstr));

I get the following null pointer exception:

false
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.Strings.<clinit>(Strings.java:221)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.SimpleServiceRequestBase.internalExecute(SimpleServiceRequestBase.java:51)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.MultiResponseServiceRequest.execute(MultiResponseServiceRequest.java:140)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeService.internalBindToItems(ExchangeService.java:1390)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeService.bindToItem(ExchangeService.java:1433)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.ExchangeService.bindToItem(ExchangeService.java:1457)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.Appointment.bind(Appointment.java:70)
        at microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.Appointment.bind(Appointment.java:88)

I double checked that the masterIDstr is valid.  Any ideas?

Friday, February 17, 2012 9:30 PM

All replies

• I also tried with the EWS Java API 1.1.5 and I still get the null pointer exception.  The only change I made to that API's jar is in Appointment.java, where I commented out lines 249, 250, and 256.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Seriously?!  Noone has encountered this problem?
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

I also had a similar issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/thread/484bb22d-1c40-4a5d-ad8e-564fdf8f568e/.

But this is solved in the release 1.1.3. Now everything works fine for me. 

Are you getting this exception in a stand alone application or is it happening in a web application?

From the code, it seems to me that Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResource("microsoft/exchange/webservices/data/Strings.properties") is returning null. 

You could actually verify that Strings.properties file is present in the EWSAPI-1.1.5.jar in the package "microsoft/exchange/webservices/data". 

Regards,

Paul

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:26 AM
  • Thank you so much for replying Paul.  I am getting this error in a standalone application.  I checked my jar and I have StringPropertyDefinition.java and Strings.java but no String.properties. 
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Just an FYI - I found the Strings.properties is in the root folder of the extracted EWS toolkit.

I added the properties file to the microsoft.exchange.webservices.data package and the NullPointerException went away

• Edited by Cary Bran Saturday, June 09, 2012 1:33 AM
    Saturday, June 09, 2012 12:44 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem. What exactly place you added the file Strings.properties?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:49 PM