none
How do i recover items deleted from a Public Folder in Exchange 2010 SP1?

Question

• We have an Exchange 2010 server with Outlook 2003 clients.  We have a Public Folder that had over 2800+ contacts in it.  Today someone pointed out that there are only 67 contacts in the folder.  I looked up the restore process and found ExFolders.  Unfortunately, ExFolders doesn't work because no folders were deleted.  Since I don't know who deleted them, which computer they were on or if they were using Outlook or OWA Recover Deleted Items does not work.   The Public Folder limit was 14-days and I increased it today to 60-days to buy more time.  I also increased the Age limit from 30 to 60-days.  Every weeknight the Exchange 2010 backs up to disk using Windows Backup and then the disk backup is stored on tape by Backup Exec.  So I have backups but I can't find any articles that address recovering deleted ITEMS from Public Folders.

Please help me to recover deleted items from my Public Folder.

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:03 PM

Answers

• ExFolders - Thats the tool

How to recover - Click Here

Sharique 'W@rbuG' Ahmed. 2 b or not 2 b

As per my original question.  ExFolders is only for recovering deleted folders.  It does not support recovering deleted items.  No folders were deleted so ExFolders does not present any to me to restore.

Update: After checking many sources, it is safe to say that there is no way to recover deleted items from Public Folders.  You can recover folders but, in my case, they were all empty which was no help.  Make regular backups of you Public Folders by manually by exporting them to PST or find a 3rd-party utility and test it thoroughly before trusting it!

• Edited by The Victim Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by The Victim Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:24 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:59 PM

All replies

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:17 PM
  • ok so;

1. There is a bug in Public folders right now where you cant really recover deleted items or folders in many instances not even with ExFolders, i.e. even if you see them when you try to recover it fails or purges them  - yeah I know fun eh?  That said MS is working on it but its not due out anytime soon :-(
    2. Also Recovery Databases are not an option with PF databases :-(
    3. So what to do?  Well you have a few options;

A: The Database Shuffle - Not recommended but, you could backup your current PF, ensure no one is accessing it, restore the old PF db, extract what you need to PST, restore the latest PF and recover the PST into the production server.

B: Create a fenced off VM replica of your Exchange & AD servers, restore the data, extract what you need to PST and then sneaker-net the data from the fenced off network to your production network

C: Download Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp which will let you open any offline Mailbox or Public Folder database so that you can Browse or Search all Mailboxes, Folders and Individual items and then you can Export to PST, MSG & XML or Recover the desired data direct from an offline EDB into ANY production Exchange server even alternate versions.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:20 PM

BTW - check storage group retention periods. to make sure. 
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:27 PM

As per my original question.  ExFolders is only for recovering deleted folders.  It does not support recovering deleted items.  No folders were deleted so ExFolders does not present any to me to restore.

Update: After checking many sources, it is safe to say that there is no way to recover deleted items from Public Folders.  You can recover folders but, in my case, they were all empty which was no help.  Make regular backups of you Public Folders by manually by exporting them to PST or find a 3rd-party utility and test it thoroughly before trusting it!

• Edited by The Victim Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by The Victim Thursday, February 09, 2012 6:24 PM
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:59 PM