none
Outlook 2007 - Emails disappear after moving to an Archive folder

Question

• We are running Exchange 2010 SP1 RU4 in our environment and I have a few users this week that are moving emails maunually (no Auto-Archive). When they move a subfolder within their Inbox to a local Archive .pst the folder moves but there are no emails within the folder. But if they highlight the emails within the subfolder and click move (to archive) the emails move successfully. The users in question are running Outlook 2007 SP2 Cached Mode and it still happens when I change the setting to Online Mode. I can't find the emails which results to a restore from backup.

Friday, March 02, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

• I recommend that you post this question to the Outlook forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Friday, March 09, 2012 1:49 AM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:25 AM
  • Sounds like a knackered PST file to me, or are you storing the PST file on a network share? That can do the same thing.

Although if you are allowing users to use PST files you may as well delete the messages as they are pretty much lost anyway. It is only a matter of time before the PST file gets corrupted and the messages are gone.

If you must retain the email then invest in a proper archiving solution.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:54 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this question to the Outlook forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, March 04, 2012 4:25 AM
  • Sounds like a knackered PST file to me, or are you storing the PST file on a network share? That can do the same thing.

Although if you are allowing users to use PST files you may as well delete the messages as they are pretty much lost anyway. It is only a matter of time before the PST file gets corrupted and the messages are gone.

If you must retain the email then invest in a proper archiving solution.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:54 PM