none
Outlook 2007 Disconnected with Exchange 2007

Question

• I have reviewed a few issues others were having with a simular issue however the resolutions either don't apply to Exchange 2007 or are not feasable (ex. make registry changes on all machines). Here is what I found to be the problem and a real pain in the @$$ work-around.

Issue:

When a user selects "Work Offline" or their machine goes into Hibernate mode they get disconnected from the exchange server. When this happens I have been unable to reconnect the users client back to the exchange server. I have also found that the only way to reconnect is to reboot the computer. Because of this I believe it may be an issue with the client machine being "connected" to the active directory via Outlook 2007. With that being said I have not detemined if the real issue is with Exchange 2007or Outlook 2007.

Obviously, this is a hugh issue because when disconnected mail is not flowing to the user. Are there any documented resolutions for this issue or is there anyone out there that has the troubleshooting experience with Exchange to help.

Thanks,

John Catalano

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:31 PM

All replies

• hi,

i looked around for a few answers... i had a similar situation where my machine crashed hard and shut down.

outlook 2007 would come up in a disconnected state.  i read a few posts here and there that suggested rebooting... i think after about my 5th reboot, i gave up on that being the resolution.

I noticed there was a spike in the searchindexer.exe process (part of the Windows Search Service).

I believe that also helps with indexing your mailbox files in Outlook 2007.

If you let it run... once ur mailbox is repaired (along with any archive data files attached) it will reconnect.

I also tried adding the following regedit parameter per microsofts website:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC

(if RPC key doesn't exist, create it)

Add DWORD value:   DefConnectOpts

and make it 0

after adding the key and rebooting it didn't reconnect, but leaving outlook running for a few hours brought the connection back to my exchange server.

~les

• Proposed as answer by KludgeFest Monday, August 10, 2009 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:45 PM
  • Hi Les,

Thank you sooo much.  You added a line that fixed my problem. 

(if RPC key doesn't exist, create it)

I had seen this advice before but didn't realize I needed to add the key.  Too bad Microsoft didn't include that in the original instructions.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Thanks Les! That solved the problem for me. I'm going to pass on the knowledge and give you credit!
    Thanks!
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Thanks Les!
    Wednesday, November 04, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Thanks heaps Les, that has solved it for me too. I am now trying find out exactly why and how.. :-)

MS are saying - "This problem may occur if the Outlook 2007 client computer does not have a default gateway configured." For me this is not the cause..

Jim

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:51 AM