none
Outlook reminder error - Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2007

Question

• Hi,

I've implemented an Exchange 2010 Server, on a Windows 2008 R2, in a Windows 2003 R2 AD environment. User base was around 150 users. Client computers are connected to the Exchange server via 10/100 network switches.

Mails were migrated form old Lotus Notes Domino server.

Client computers are installed with MS Office 2007 (with SP3).

Problem:
    Almost all users will encounter Outlook reminder error when they launch Outlook, and the To-do bar will have this Object not found error, instead of displaying upcoming events.

We tried using the "/cleanreminders" or "/cleansniff" switch for outlook.exe but the issue is still there.

We tried switching cache mode on and off, same issue.

We tried re-create Outlook profile, it works for the first load, but if we close Outlook and open again, same issue.

Even for uses w/o any calender entries, they will have the same error.

We tested creating multiple Outlook profiles (of different email account) on the same computer using the same Windows login, some Outlook profile will be ok while some Outlook profile will have that error.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Patrick,

I’d like to double confirm the following information:

1.Did you use the problematic user account in OWA to test reminder? And is there any error?

2.Did you create new appointments in calendar folder of the newly created mailbox account? And did you encounter the same reminder issue in the newly account’s Outlook (use the same Outlook client computer that has encounter the issue)?

3.Change a newly installed Outlook client, it is better to be Outlook 2007 with fully updated, and then try again with the newly created mailbox account, does the issue reoccur?

Besides, please select a user who has encounter this issue, and then export his/her mailbox to a PST file for backup purpose.

Once the calendar folder is backed up, please follow these steps to reset the reminder folder.

1. Make sure Outlook is in online mode."Use Cached Exchange Mode" box is unchecked.
    2. Exit from Outlook.
    3. Please click on this link to download the MFCMAPI tool
    4. http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/
    5. After installing MFCMAPI you will get the following window
    6. On opening the MfcMapi.exe we get the following window.
    7. Click on ok then click on Session  and in the drop down click on Logon and Display Store Table.
    8. Select the profile and click on "OK"
    9. Double Click on User`s Mail box
    10. Expand Root Container.

10. Right click on Reminder folder  and click on "Delete Folder".

11. Check the box "Hard Deletion" and click on "OK"

12. Now Close all the windows for MFCMAPI application .

13. Click on Start-Run->Type "Outlook /cleanreminders" and click on "OK".

Once you follow these steps. Please check if  user still receive reminders issue. And if yes, please capture a screenshot for us to further research (also let me know the problematic Outlook version information).

Thanks. 

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

Where do you store client mails? Are you using .PST files together with Outlook?

Looks for me like some kind of corruption of corresponding Oulook Data Files which might
    happen if these files are created during migration. If you are implementing
    .PST files, this would be the first thing to examine.

In Outlook go to Tools -> Account Settings
    and look at the bottom where the mails are stored? How are the mail accounts
    configured in Outlook, as Microsoft Exchange (MAPI) or are you using other
    protocols IMAP4/POP3 to connect to your Exchange?

If you create a clear, new email account on your Exchange Server and configure Outlook
    to open it, do you experience any problems like you described above?

Try to open any existing account using OWA. Are there any error messages in this case?

Kind regards

Eduard

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi Eduard,

Outlook is connecting to the Exchange server via MAPI connection.

Mails are all stored at the Server, no local PST file at the workstations.

New mails accounts will have the same problem.

No error when open existing accounts using OWA.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Patrick

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

I’d like to double confirm the following information:

1.Did you use the problematic user account in OWA to test reminder? And is there any error?

2.Did you create new appointments in calendar folder of the newly created mailbox account? And did you encounter the same reminder issue in the newly account’s Outlook (use the same Outlook client computer that has encounter the issue)?

3.Change a newly installed Outlook client, it is better to be Outlook 2007 with fully updated, and then try again with the newly created mailbox account, does the issue reoccur?

Besides, please select a user who has encounter this issue, and then export his/her mailbox to a PST file for backup purpose.

Once the calendar folder is backed up, please follow these steps to reset the reminder folder.

1. Make sure Outlook is in online mode."Use Cached Exchange Mode" box is unchecked.
    2. Exit from Outlook.
    3. Please click on this link to download the MFCMAPI tool
    4. http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/
    5. After installing MFCMAPI you will get the following window
    6. On opening the MfcMapi.exe we get the following window.
    7. Click on ok then click on Session  and in the drop down click on Logon and Display Store Table.
    8. Select the profile and click on "OK"
    9. Double Click on User`s Mail box
    10. Expand Root Container.

10. Right click on Reminder folder  and click on "Delete Folder".

11. Check the box "Hard Deletion" and click on "OK"

12. Now Close all the windows for MFCMAPI application .

13. Click on Start-Run->Type "Outlook /cleanreminders" and click on "OK".

Once you follow these steps. Please check if  user still receive reminders issue. And if yes, please capture a screenshot for us to further research (also let me know the problematic Outlook version information).

Thanks. 

Fiona Liao

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Hello,

Any update?

Fiona Liao

Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:44 AM
  • I have Outlook 2010, running against Exchange 2007 SP3 ... this fixed worked great for me, appears to have resolved the issue of reminders re-appearing after dismissing them.  One difference though, in MFCMapi, I saw Reminders, Reminders1, Reminders2, etc all the way up to 8.  Since this forum only mentioned "Reminder" folder, I tried it on Reminders only and that resolved the issue.  Confirmed the Reminders1-8 are still there, but I no longer have the issue and reminders are working.

Thanks.

• Edited by MyTech5 Monday, April 09, 2012 2:46 PM typo
    Monday, April 09, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Hi All

I am also having the same problem which Patrick was faced. we tried to delete reminder folder from Mfcmapi but still same issue persist.

I am getting a ballon like below

My outlook version is 12.0.6607.1000. Some other users outlook profile in the same computer is works fine. Randomly we have this issue almost many users. every thing is works fine in OWA. Also when i see the problamatic account in Mfcmapi its showing dupicate mailbox as same as user name. I am unable to delete that from mfcmapi.

Please suggest me.

Regards Mager

• Edited by Magernisha Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:59 PM
    Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hi Mager,

Please feel free to submit a new thread since this is old.

Fiona Liao

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:50 AM
  • i managed to fix this issue. i removed explicit full access from user's mailbox.

Eg:

Remove-MailboxPermission "eric" -AccessRights "fullaccess" -User "eric"

Regards Mager

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:36 AM