none
SPF record file on DYNDNS

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I hosted an exchange 2010 @ home; using DYNDNS for custom DNS service. I'm able to RECEIVE mails in/out side organiazation. However I can't send a single email to the internet!!! Using Exchange remote analyzer (Connectivity test sucessful with WARNING)

Attempting to find the SPF record using a DNS TEXT record query. ExRCA wasn't able to find the SPF. No records were found.

Can anyone help, please. Spent tons of hours...My initial thought is: how to create SPF file on DYNDNS?

I do not have an Static IP, Registered a domain name. DNS is hosted by DYNDNS.

Thanks

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:17 AM

All replies

• A missing SPF record would not prevent you from sending e-mail.  More likely, your ISP may be blocking port 25 on your home connection (Pretty common).  1 quick way to test this is to see if you can telnet to an external mail server (I.E. telnet smtp.1and1.com 25).

If the connection is blocked, then you would need to use your ISP's mail servers (Or another external mail server on another port) as a smart host.

If the connection is accepted, then you have something else going on with your exchange setup, run a get-sendconnector | fl command and paste it here so it can be reviewed.

Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Hi MyITGuyInc,

I was able to telnet to my ISP provider (SMTP.SBCGLOBAL.NET 25).

In my Exchage server Queue there is several error: "451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address reponded with: 421...4.2.1 unable to connect" attempt fail over alternate host but...

I could not run get-sendconnector| fl command from my hub server! (Unknow command?)

By the way SPF record is taken care of.

Many Thanks

Sunday, April 03, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Hi MyITGuyInc,

In my Exchage server Queue there is several error: "451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address reponded with: 421...4.2.1 unable to connect" attempt fail over alternate host but...

I could not run get-sendconnector| fl command from my hub server! (Unknow command?)

Many Thanks

Yes, you would be able to connect to your ISP Providers mail server (This wouldn't be blocked by your ISP), the test you want is to see if you can connect to a mail server not on your ISP network which is why I recommended smtp.1and1.com.  I just double checked the get-sendconnector | fl command and had no issues on my hub transport server (Or my CAS Server either).  Did you run this command in the Exchange Management Shell?  Is the transport server role installed?
    Sunday, April 03, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi MyITGuyInc,

Many Thanks

Yes, you would be able to connect to your ISP Providers mail server (This wouldn't be blocked by your ISP), the test you want is to see if you can connect to a mail server not on your ISP network which is why I recommended smtp.1and1.com.  I just double checked the get-sendconnector | fl command and had no issues on my hub transport server (Or my CAS Server either).  Did you run this command in the Exchange Management Shell?  Is the transport server role installed?

I tried to fix the reverse DNS lookup, Record PTR point to my server, able to send some mails out to yahoo domain, Gmail, Hotmail is delaying. I checked the queue, there are few still trying to get outwith the same error: 451.4.40 dns query failed! What give?

I only have one server: DC Controller 2k8 Ent. Exchange 2010. ISP by ATT; No static IP, 1 Domain, DNS hosted by DYNDNS, The server is also running DNS.

Yes, I did run from the shell command as an admin: Get-Sendconnector |fl Unsuccessful; it's telling me no such thing; double, triple check spelling ...no avail

I really appreciated your help,

Best Regards,

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:59 PM
  • can you try the telnet from the command line (start run:  cmd )?

at the command prompt type:

c:>    telnet maila.microsoft.com 25

(If this doens't work then make sure telnet is loaded with add remove programs/etc)

They type (without making any mistakes - not any backspaces or errors; othewise start all over):

ehlo

mail from:abc@abc.com

rcpt to:abc@abc.com

data

type some data here... and then type enter twisc then a period and then enter a few more times... finally type "quit" or "exit".  so it'll look like this.

quit

exit

what did it say?  can you paste here?

Also it may give you more info to fix yoru problem.

hope it helps as it always does me debug mail flow to telnet to the port 25 from the hub/cas server.

Marcus @ www.wormy.com

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:56 AM
  • see if these ports are open ...

http://dyn.com/support/why-cant-i-send-mail/

check this also

it basically says instead of opening 25 use 2525 with dyn ..

http://www.dyndnscommunity.com/questions/7194/i-cant-send-emails-via-smtp-conector-exchange-serv.html

MARK AS USEFUL/ANSWER IF IT DID

Thanks
    Happiness Always
    Jatin

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 9:20 AM
  • I have come across the same problem but found I was able to send email to certain domains (yahoo email addresses) but not to others (hotmail.com or live.com email adresses). I reseached further and came across "Spamhouse PBL" or the Policy Block List from Spamhaus. I checked my IP adress with the PBL and found my dynamic ip address to be among the blocked email addresses, particularly my ISP Brighthouse had published it. Most Internet Service Providers today to this, they publish their dynamic IP adresses to the PBL. Even static ip addresses are added at first to the PBL, but one can have them removed from the list.

Beware to not try to remove your dynamic ip address from this PBL, subscribers could get barred using a ISP service. And because ISPs share information amongst each other, culprit users could get barred from using other ISPs as well.

Microsoft Hotmail definitely checks whether email was sent from an ip address published in the PBL or not. Their servers reject emails which did not pass the PBL test. Much SPAM never makes it of course to a hotmail account this way. 

Beware also, DynDns does not offer the "Dyn Standard SMTP" service anymore and thus no more opportunity to run an Exchange Smarthost with them !!!!!! Other companies still do but they ask good bucks for this service.

There may be other ways around these limitations and I may have some answers. I will be looking forward to hearing your opinions.
    • Edited by Roger Kief Friday, April 12, 2013 3:18 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 2:55 AM