none
Setting up alias to send/receive emails on behalf of second domain

Question

• I have two domains. Domain A is the domain set on the Windows Server and the Exchange server. My company receives emails to another domain (domain B). Domain B is not set up with any Windows/Exchange server. I would like to send emails on behalf of domain B by logging into domain A as well receive emails. The users are the same. Example scenario:

John Smith logs into his computer with his username, he receives email from both 'j.smith@domaina.com' and 'jsmith@domainb.com'

John Smith can send an email and choose between 'j.smith@domaina.com' and j.smith@domainb.com' in the 'Send from' box.

I have already set up Accepted Domains, and I can receive emails from domain B but I can't see if it came from domain B, when checking who its sent to, it says 'j.smith@domaina.com' when it should say 'j.smith@domainb.com' .

What am I doing wrong or what else do I need to do?

Appreciate your help guys

Monday, March 21, 2011 5:24 PM

Answers

• Hi....  this last reply comfirm what we are saying

First to receive from multible domain you do what you have already done...  Accepted Domains and policies but to send as a differant user there are two way (for what I know)

1:  Make a new pop email account in Outlook and send from that pop user but this does help you as you would like more robust solution and functionality in OWA

2: Make a new mailbox for j.Smith@domainB.com like myself and Evan told you... 

From scratch these are the steps...

Create a Mailbox fo User one on j.smith@domainA.com  
    Create a Mailbox for User two on j.smith@domainB.com
    Give user j.smith@domainA.com send on behalf permissions for user j.smith@domainB.com via EMC

Open OWA  and log in as user j..smith@domainA.com  and go to Options > Settings > Mail and select alway show from and then select save (lower right corner)
    Go back to mail (top right corner)

Now make a new email and click From and select other e-mail address...  and select user j.smith@domainB.com

This also works in Outlook the same way...

Lappari | MCITP Server Admin | 2008 Active Directory - Network Infrastructure - Administrator - Exchange 2007 | Posting AS IS with no warranties. www.lappari.com
    • Proposed as answer by Lapparinn Friday, March 25, 2011 11:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by AllawiJR Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:51 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:22 AM

All replies

• This will be interesting to know as I have ussually just made a standard pop account to send from domainB-C-D....  I just haveto make sure not to receive from these accounts...

Lappari

Lappari | MCITP Server Admin | 2008 Active Directory - Network Infrastructure - Administrator - Exchange 2007 | Posting "AS IS" with no warranties. www.lappari.com
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Yeah, I could do that but I want it done properly. I am migrating from Google Apps and they have a feature for this called 'Domain Alias'. I am sure Exchange can do this. Just waiting for a solution from one of the experts here...

Monday, March 21, 2011 5:47 PM
  • I did a test and this seems to be easy....

Created Mailbox fo User one on lappari@domainA.com
    Created Mailbox for User two on lappari@domainB.com

Give user one send on behalf permissions for user two via EMC

Open Outlook when loged on as User One and create new email and you should be able to click From > Other E-Mail Address and there select User Two...

Works in Outlook and in OWA...

Lappari | MCITP Server Admin | 2008 Active Directory - Network Infrastructure - Administrator - Exchange 2007 | Posting "AS IS" with no warranties. www.lappari.com
    • Proposed as answer by Lapparinn Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:35 AM
    • Edited by Lapparinn Friday, March 25, 2011 1:00 AM Typo
    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:16 PM
  • What exactly do you mean by 'fyrir', thanks.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:47 AM
  • hehe  sorry... some Icelandic getting in the way....   Fyrir means For

Created Mailbox for User one on lappari@domainA.com
    Created Mailbox for User two on lappari@domainB.com

Lappari | MCITP Server Admin | 2008 Active Directory - Network Infrastructure - Administrator - Exchange 2007 | Posting AS IS with no warranties. www.lappari.com
    Friday, March 25, 2011 12:59 AM
  • I have user A set up and I have set up send connectors and accepted domains. Is that correct?
    Friday, March 25, 2011 1:01 AM
  • Hi AllwaiJR,

Did you add two email addresses j.smith@domaina.com and j.smith@domainb.com on one mailbox?

If so, this is normal for you can receive emails for two email addresses, but only can use (j.smith@domaina.com )to send emails.

If you want John Smith can send an email and choose between j.smith@domaina.com and j.smith@domainb.com , you can follow these steps to achieve the goal:

1.       Create a new mailbox and change it email address to “ j.smith@domainb.com “ (uncheck “Automatically update e-mail addresses based on e-mail address policy)

2.       Given John Smith send as permission on the new create mailbox.

3.       Then you can send emails( with email address j.smith@domainb.com ) in Outlook.

Note: If you do this, you need to remove email address j.smith@domainb.com from the old mailbox. without this email address, the old mailbox cannot receive emails send to j.smith@domainb.com .

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 8:15 AM
  • I didn't add two email addresses on one mailbox.

I added a new 'Accepted Domain' and email policies.

This allowed me to receive emails from both domains and with an alias of the users. i.e. all emails to user@domainb.com will be received when user@domaina.com logs in. But, there is a problem, when 'user' check their email, there is no way in identifying between which emails were sent to domaina and domainb.

What I want is for 'user' to decide which domain he wants to send from i.e. domaina or domainb.

In addition to this, I would like this to be applied to not just the Outlook software but the Outlook Web App. Any ideas?

I hope this has made it clear to everyone.

Thanks again,

Allawi

Friday, March 25, 2011 10:59 AM
  • Hi....  this last reply comfirm what we are saying

First to receive from multible domain you do what you have already done...  Accepted Domains and policies but to send as a differant user there are two way (for what I know)

1:  Make a new pop email account in Outlook and send from that pop user but this does help you as you would like more robust solution and functionality in OWA

2: Make a new mailbox for j.Smith@domainB.com like myself and Evan told you... 

From scratch these are the steps...

Create a Mailbox fo User one on j.smith@domainA.com  
    Create a Mailbox for User two on j.smith@domainB.com
    Give user j.smith@domainA.com send on behalf permissions for user j.smith@domainB.com via EMC

Open OWA  and log in as user j..smith@domainA.com  and go to Options > Settings > Mail and select alway show from and then select save (lower right corner)
    Go back to mail (top right corner)

Now make a new email and click From and select other e-mail address...  and select user j.smith@domainB.com

This also works in Outlook the same way...

• Proposed as answer by Lapparinn Friday, March 25, 2011 11:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by AllawiJR Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:51 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 11:22 AM