none
SBS 2003 to server 2008, and exchange 2010

Question

• Hi, I have a problem.  I am replacing SBS 2003 with Server 2008 and installing Exchange 2010 on it.  All was setup and looking good, then I went and  transfered a couple of mailboxes to the 2010 exchange database location.  The people whom I transfered over could not send or recieve email.  I installed another send connector and pointed it to the 2010 exchange server.  I did not configure a recieve connector, tring just to do one thing at a time.  I went on the persons computer and test it and the mail sent properly, but I could not recieve any.  I went bak to the server and when I opened the EMC all I only had  Organization configuration with Hub transport in it, which has no settings in it, and reciptient configuration with mailbox, distrubution group, and mail contact, and tools.  I need to get the full console since it won't let me con figure anything.  How can I transfer the mailboxes back to the other database, it gives me no option or how can I get the console to look normal so I can create a recieve connector.

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:25 PM

Answers

• Actually, I would first look at whether the account you're using has all the required rights.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Marked as answer by dwojteck Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:22 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:58 AM

All replies

• Is Exchange 2010 in the same active directory forest and Exchange organization as the SBS 2003 server?

Please list everything you've done to set this up.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, June 24, 2011 11:45 PM
  • yes both are in the same domain. just going to replace the 2003 sbs server with the new server 2008 and adding exchange 2010.  basiclly it is just as I said in the problem that I have in the original question.  the server is working good it is just the exchange after I made those changes to send email.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Validate your routing group connectors (one for each direction) are configured properly, or add them if not already present.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:54 AM
  • thanks, how do I do this. step by step please.
    I see there in AD sites and services.  But need to to know how to validate?
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Get-RoutingGroupConnector

Set-RoutingGroupConnector

Don't make me Google that for you.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:30 PM
  • I have done this.  I keep getting the response:  Get-routinggroupconnector is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.  I thought I was doing something wrong but you, show it is right.  Microsoft also shows the same syntex.  When I type in get-help that worked fine along with a few other commands.  Also when I connect to EMC right click on organization configuration, go to modify configuration domain controller, go to specify domain controller, click browse I get the error the term Get-OrganizationalUnit is not reconnized as the name of a cmdlet, funtion, script file or operable program. 
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Are you running this on the Exchange 2010 server using the Exchange Management Shell, not Windows PowerShell?
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:54 PM
  • yes exchange management shell.
    I'm thinking I corrupted exchange some how.  I'm going to try to uninstall everything except the mailboxes.  I do this Sunday and post what happened.  If you think of anything else please post, thanks
    • Unmarked as answer by dwojteck Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:22 PM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:00 AM
  • Actually, I would first look at whether the account you're using has all the required rights.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:58 AM
  • hi,

please use "run as administrator" on EMS to execute commands.

regards,

Mumin CICEK | www.cozumpark.com | Please click Vote As Helpful if it is helpful for you and Propose as Answer!!!
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:29 AM
  • Hi, thanks for all your help.  I created a new administror account and grt it the rights to the schema admin and organization manager, and everyting works.  So I took out those rights in administrator account that I was using and restarted the server, then I put those rights back in and everything works again.  The main administrator account must have gotten corrupted some how!  Thanks, again for all your help.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:22 PM
  • You're welcome.  Glad you have eveything working.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Hi,

The administrator should be a member of Recipient Management, Server Management and Organization Management

Add-RoleGroupMember "Recipient Management" -Member Administrator
    Add-RoleGroupMember "Server Management" -Member Administrator
    Add-RoleGroupMember "Organization Management" -Member Administrator

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 04, 2011 6:43 AM