none
Exchange Logs Not Truncating

Question

• With poor judgement I deduped by Exchange 2013 logs.   I noticed that the logs weren't truncating so I turned off dedup, and expanded the logs back out.  I now have 172 GB of logs (which seems high for my 500 users) which I believe aren't truncating as expected. I expanded the drive two days ago and the drive size hasn't decreased or increased.  My guess is that the logs from the past two days are truncating.  I have ran several successful backups on the server with no luck.  

I am using Windows 2012 Standard for my CA.  The machine is virtualized on VMWare vSphere 5.5.  My backup utility is Symantec Netbackup 7.6.  I am currently on CU3 of Exchange 2013.

Any ideas, how do I tell what logs I am using?  I don't want to purge the logs, I've read that is normally a very dangerous thing to do.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 3:42 PM

Answers

• Are you doing just database backups or granular backups?

Below is a list of supported Netbackup 7.6 notes.

About NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange
    The following support has been added to the NetBackup Exchange Agent:
    ■ Exchange 2013 support (database only). Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
    and off-host backups are not supported with this release.
    ■ Exchange 2010 SP3 support on Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.
    ■ The Exchange client host properties now include a property that is called
    Exchange credentials. Provide the credentials for a unique Exchange mailbox
    that has sufficient roles or group memberships to perform backups and restores.
    This account must also have the right to “Replace a process level token”.
    ■ In this release, for NetBackup operations with Exchange 2010 or 2013 you can
    now use a minimal mailbox account that has local administrator rights rather
    than Exchange administrator rights. See the NetBackup for Exchange
    Administrator’s Guide for details.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Attebiz1987 Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:16 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:25 PM

All replies

• Are you doing just database backups or granular backups?

Below is a list of supported Netbackup 7.6 notes.

About NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange
    The following support has been added to the NetBackup Exchange Agent:
    ■ Exchange 2013 support (database only). Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
    and off-host backups are not supported with this release.
    ■ Exchange 2010 SP3 support on Windows 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012.
    ■ The Exchange client host properties now include a property that is called
    Exchange credentials. Provide the credentials for a unique Exchange mailbox
    that has sufficient roles or group memberships to perform backups and restores.
    This account must also have the right to “Replace a process level token”.
    ■ In this release, for NetBackup operations with Exchange 2010 or 2013 you can
    now use a minimal mailbox account that has local administrator rights rather
    than Exchange administrator rights. See the NetBackup for Exchange
    Administrator’s Guide for details.

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Attebiz1987 Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:16 PM
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:25 PM
  • Just doing database backups.  As you mentioned, granular backups are not supported in my version.  

As a work around I even tried doing a 'Windows Server Backup' using the built in server backup tool.  The database logs still did not truncate after the backup was complete.  

Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:45 PM
  • Please check the event logs on the server around the time the Exchange Backups start and Finish and tell me if you see any warnings or errors. Backup Events should be in the Application logs, but check the system logs as well. 
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:47 PM
  • I just completed another 'Windows Server Backup' this time with the VSS Full Backup setting on.  As soon as it finished the logs purged themselves.  

I looked through the logs and couldn't find any errors from the Netbackup Backup.  Very odd though since a database backup is fully supported.  I'll have to read through the documentation again on netbackup 7.6.  

Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Also check the Job that does Exchange Databases backups in Netbackup, and see if there is a check-box for truncating logs? I have not used that version of backup software but I know others sometimes have the option as a check box. Let me know if you find anything so I know for the future. 

Thanks,

Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:42 PM