none
Exchange 2010/Outlook 2010 - randomly slow to respond issue.

Question

• We have been running Exchange 2010 and Outlook 2010 for about 18 months.  It has worked great.  However, within the last 2 weeks I have noticed that throughout the day at random times it may take 10 to 20 seconds for an email to preview in Outlook after you click on it.  It appears the Exchange server is very slow to respond.  This condition will last for 10 to 15 minutes then it seems to clear up and respond quickly again.  Everything is fine most of the time, this just happens maybe 3 or 4 times per day.  It is causing many trouble tickets and many questions like "are we having server problems?"

We have recently (4 weeks ago) changed to a new router but I don't see how this would effect our Server to client performance.  Other than that we have had no other changes just windows updates, etc.

If someone can help point me in the right direction to get a good start on troubleshooting it would be a great help.     thanks

Monday, May 20, 2013 4:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Poly,

"may take 10 to 20 seconds for an email to preview in Outlook after you click on it"
    Do user have Cache mode enabled in Outlook?
    What happens if they double-click to open the mail directly?
    After the delay, will the user still has the same issue when preview the same mail?
    Is there any common point among the problematic mails, do they all come from one external company?

Here's a script that can collect exchange performance data.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2010/07/09/exchange-2007-2010-performance-data-collection-script.aspx

The KB below is for Office 365, but I think most of troubleshooting steps can also be used in the on-premised environment. Please see if it helps
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2441551

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hi Poly,

"may take 10 to 20 seconds for an email to preview in Outlook after you click on it"
    Do user have Cache mode enabled in Outlook?
    What happens if they double-click to open the mail directly?
    A:  if the user double-clicks on the email it has the same delay as preview.

After the delay, will the user still has the same issue when preview the same mail?
    A: Yes
    Is there any common point among the problematic mails, do they all come from one external company?
    A: No

Here's a script that can collect exchange performance data.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/mikelag/archive/2010/07/09/exchange-2007-2010-performance-data-collection-script.aspx

I am looking at the script.  This just happens randomly 3 or 4 times per day.   thanks

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Does it prompt "Outlook is trying to retrieve data" ?

If so, please refer to the following article.

Outlook users experience poor performance when they work with a folder that contains many items on a server that is running Exchange Server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905803/en-us

Please check if other users also occured this issue, if no, please create a new profile to test; if yes, please use network tool to troubleshooting.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:32 PM
  • With this particular issue it does NOT prompt "Outlook is trying to retrieve data".  It just delays for 10 to 15 seconds while trying to preview emails.  Very annoying.

I have ran the Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant and I think my problem may have to do with having some users on this server that have very large mailboxes(over 1Gb) with 5000 to 10,000 items.  Do you think this might be my problem? 

This issue is effecting all users on this server.  I have had no complaints from users on the other Exchange server.       thanks, tom

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Hi,

Do you use online mode for outlook ? Please test on owa, if owa also occurs this issue, you can use Exchange Analyzer Tool to monitor exchange performance .

If you use cache mode, it should download the data to local, so check performance on client side.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 27, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Some systems use cached mode.  Some do not.  I have not tested it thru owa.  However, read my previous post and let me know what you think about that train of thought.  thanks
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:37 PM
  • This question was never answered.

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Friday, June 07, 2013 9:08 PM
    Friday, June 07, 2013 9:07 PM