none
Create contact folder in user mailbox. Without using webservices

Question

• Hi.....

Is it possible to create a contacts folder (an extra one besides the default Contacs) in a user mailbox. This via the Exchange 2010 management shell? I'm aware that I might have to add full mbx perms. for my admin user temporarily.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you.

Red Baron

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is somewhat involved:

1. Start with a profile that logs directly onto the other user's mailbox, not your own.

2. On the Properties dialog for the other user's Contacts folder, make sure that it's set to display in the Outlook Address Book and give it a display name other than contacts, such as Joe's Contacts.

3. Close Outlook.

4. In Control Panel | Mail, edit the *same profile* to change the mailbox from the other user's to your own. On the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

5. Restart Outlook, and you should see the Joe's Contacts in your Outlook Address Book as well as your own Contacts folder

Regards,

Best Regards Don't forget to mark it as answer if it helps

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is somewhat involved:

1. Start with a profile that logs directly onto the other user's mailbox, not your own.

2. On the Properties dialog for the other user's Contacts folder, make sure that it's set to display in the Outlook Address Book and give it a display name other than contacts, such as Joe's Contacts.

3. Close Outlook.

4. In Control Panel | Mail, edit the *same profile* to change the mailbox from the other user's to your own. On the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

5. Restart Outlook, and you should see the Joe's Contacts in your Outlook Address Book as well as your own Contacts folder

Regards,

Best Regards Don't forget to mark it as answer if it helps

I think you misunderstood.

1. as an admin i want to create an extra Contacts folder

2. this folder should be created in a regular user mailbox

- the user in the regular user mailbox still have it's default contacts folder. So I'm adding an extra contacts folder for example with the name "Shared Contacts Customer Hey hey"

----

Your solution would probably work but I'm trying not to do all that extra manual work.

Btw. In your solution, wouldn't Joe have to share the contacts, give other users permissions on his contacts, this before anyone would be able to add Joe's contacts to their Outlook.

Thank you.

Red Baron

Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:08 AM
  • You can use the managed folder policies to create a custom managed folder, and it will automatcally be created in the mailboxes that policy is applied to.

Other than that, you might have to learn to use EWS.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:55 PM
  • You can use the managed folder policies to create a custom managed folder, and it will automatcally be created in the mailboxes that policy is applied to.

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "

Hi mjolinor,

Looks like I can't get this to work.

This is what I came up with.

- We are running exch. 2010 SP1

- Managed folders cannot be configured through EMC so I tried with the Shell.

- I ran the following commands.

---- New-ManagedFolder -Name 'Lemon Test' -FolderName 'Lemon Test' -Comment 'Contains contacts' –MustDisplayCommentEnabled $true
    ---- New-ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy -Name "Lemon Test" -ManagedFolderLinks 'Lemon Test'
    ---- Set-Mailbox -Identity TheRedBaron@lemon.it -ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy "Lemon Test"
    ---- Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity TheRedBaron@lemon.it

According to what I can find "out there" that should be plenty.

! Unfortunately though, no custom folder is appearing. Outlook have been closed and reopened and several hours have gone by since the managed folder was created.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Red Baron

Friday, February 24, 2012 1:15 PM

Hi mjolinor,

Looks like I can't get this to work.

This is what I came up with.

- We are running exch. 2010 SP1

- Managed folders cannot be configured through EMC so I tried with the Shell.

- I ran the following commands.

---- New-ManagedFolder -Name 'Lemon Test' -FolderName 'Lemon Test' -Comment 'Contains contacts' –MustDisplayCommentEnabled $true
    ---- New-ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy -Name "Lemon Test" -ManagedFolderLinks 'Lemon Test'
    ---- Set-Mailbox -Identity TheRedBaron@lemon.it -ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy "Lemon Test"
    ---- Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity TheRedBaron@lemon.it

According to what I can find "out there" that should be plenty.

! Unfortunately though, no custom folder is appearing. Outlook have been closed and reopened and several hours have gone by since the managed folder was created.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Red Baron

Hmm....Apparently I did not have enough patience, the folder is there now so the managed folder assistant just took a long time. The folder though is not a folder I can put contacts into. How can I either convert the folder to be a contact folder or create a contact from the get go.

Thank you.

Red Baron

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:30 AM
  • Anyone with an answer to this?

Is it possible to create a managed folder that will contain contacts?

Thank you.

Red Baron

Thursday, March 01, 2012 10:51 AM
  • I am trying to do the same, does anyone have a solution?

Friday, May 11, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Hi DL8,

Unfortunately it seems not to be the case. I haven't been able to find a solution for this issue yet.

Anyone with a solution?

Thank you very much

/Larsen

Red Baron

Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:03 AM