none
capital letters in email addresses

Question

• hi, when i created mailboxes, they are all created with capital letters for first two. e.g for ASmith@domain.com for Adam Smith. but i want it as asmith@domain.com. is there anyway i can change it in bulk. i tried to use ADmodify but couldn't find the command for this particular format. please help. thanks 
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:05 PM

Answers

• A problem with that kind of change is that the administrative tool doesn't detect that it's a change because the upper- and lower-case versions match.  What you essentially have to do is change the address to something else, then change it back to the original address except in all lower case.  For example:

Changing Joe@adatum.com to joe@adatum.com won't work because the tools think no change has been made.

So you change Joe@adatum.com to joe999@adatum.com, and then change it back to joe@adatum.com.

This is something you could script in PowerShell, but I must warn you that e-mail address manipulation isn't trivial, especially if you're modifying proxy addresses.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Friday, June 24, 2011 2:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:53 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:39 AM

All replies

• A problem with that kind of change is that the administrative tool doesn't detect that it's a change because the upper- and lower-case versions match.  What you essentially have to do is change the address to something else, then change it back to the original address except in all lower case.  For example:

Changing Joe@adatum.com to joe@adatum.com won't work because the tools think no change has been made.

So you change Joe@adatum.com to joe999@adatum.com, and then change it back to joe@adatum.com.

This is something you could script in PowerShell, but I must warn you that e-mail address manipulation isn't trivial, especially if you're modifying proxy addresses.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Friday, June 24, 2011 2:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:53 AM
    Friday, June 24, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Why not you leave this as intact, It will not effect email flow for users.  If you really want to change it you need a powershell script. I would suggest you to post a question in Powershell forum.

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:52 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Looks a little bit grazy but should work also with a policy:
    %rAa%rBb%rCc%rDd%rEe%rFf%rGg%rHh%rIi%rJj%rKk%rLl%rMm%rNn%rOo%rPp%rQq%rRr%rSs%rTt%rUu%rVv%rWw%rXx%rYy%rZz%g.%s@domain.de :-)

Viele Grüße
    Christian

Friday, June 24, 2011 5:13 AM
  • Hi jai23155,

Any updates?

Christian, seems like the existed E-mail addresses won't be changed by the policy. It works for new created ones.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 9:16 AM
  • no updates yet. but no problems too. i am just living with it. cheers 
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:38 AM
  • LOL!  I've seen that before.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 3:39 PM