none
Exchange 2013 CU2 and Upgrading from Server 2012 to Server 2012 R2 issues

Question

• I am currently running Exchange 2013 CU2 on Server 2012 in Hyper-V. It seems that whenever I do an upgrade several things happen to the Exchange 2013 CU2 installation.

1. Without doing a repair to exchange, the Exchange Powershell is no longer available

2. The Exchange Mailbox Database becomes corrupted from a dirty shutdown if it is not dismounted first

3. The Mailbox Database will not mount after the upgrade, even after doing a repair on Exchange 2013 CU2

I have tried everyway I can think of to get this to work, but for some reason the upgrade must either remove necessary services or features.

I have done an in place upgrade, this corrupted the database, and the database after being repaired would not mount.

I have stopped all Exchange 2013 services, after upgrade the database still wouldn't mount

I tried dismounting the database and stopping the exchange services, database still wouldn't mount.

In all instances the Exchange 2013 installation was changed in some way, as stated before the Exchange Powershell was no longer available, and I am not sure what other items may have been changed.

I was receiving ExchangeIS errors, which I understand were from authentication, and these made sense since the database was down.

Anybody else tried this upgrade and had any success?? I really would like to know why the server upgrade does anything to the Exchange installation or the Mailbox Database, and what if any services have changed or been added in R2 that would cause these issues.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Two things that you should know:

1. Exchange is currently not supported to run on Windows Server 2012 R2
    2. Exchange does not support a Server OS Upgrade.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:00 AM
  • I have an Server 2012 Standard with Exchange 2012 cu2 running too.

This weekend i have make an inplace upgrade to 2012 R2, installed successfull.

The Server works faster, i had the same problem with my mailbox database after upgrade, "Mailbox not Mount" - Index Error....

The solution !!!!

Close all Exchange Transport Services:

Then run the tool  (in Powershell)

eseutil /p "c:\.....\mailbox.edb"

and after repair

eseutil /d "c:\....\mailbox.edb"

After this: Start all Services and it works....

Monday, September 16, 2013 7:13 AM
  • Even for lab purposes - it's no supported. For lab only you can make fresh install of Exchange 2013 CU2 on Win 2012R2.

Regards, Konrad Sagala, MCT, MCSE+M, MCITP: Exchange 2007/2010, Lync 2010, Office365, Windows 2008, Virtualization

Monday, September 16, 2013 7:26 AM
  • I was wondering who would win the prize for doing this first :)

As the guys mention this is 100% not supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 as of right now.  I would not even waste my time doing this in a lab.

And to answer your question, if you go back and look at the requirements for CCR in Exchange 2007 or DAG in Exchange 2010 the OS must always exactly match as Exchange pulls in underlying OS components and if you crossed the streams (so to speak) in Exchange 2010 and used different builds  of the OS then you will break search.

In place upgrades have not been supported since Exchange 2003.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Adding this link as the search engines will no doubt pick up this thread. Small write up in here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/rmilne/archive/2013/09/17/exchange-support-for-windows-server-2012-r2.aspx

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:21 PM
  • My only frustration is this: why in the world server 2013 R2 installation checks passed and installation WENT AHEAD when there is exchange server installed on the box?

How many people are going to be burned by this I wonder.

--A

• Edited by asdfjkh Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:23 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Good thing I read this post BEFORE screwing up my system.

I have just upgraded all my servers (20 of them) except for:

1 a DC with a hardware incompatibility (still working on that one)

2 my two Exchange (DAG) servers (since I just read this thread :))

So, word to the wise, read up WHEN EVER EXCHANGE SERVERS are involved, before you do something you regret.

I am happy to have found this post today...

I will wait until Exch2013 is supported on 2012R2, then do the slow migration thing you're supposed to do: build new machines then move databases/mailboxes.  Good thing for Hyper-V!

> Kamal

Sunday, October 13, 2013 6:23 PM
  • OK, I went ahead and upgraded my home enviroment.

2 servers 2012 R2 one is DC (forest and domain functionality level raised to 2012 R2) other is exchange 2013 CU2.

I have 0 problems and had 0 problems migrating mailboxes and settings to new server...

I know it is not supported but migration path should work...

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Yes, the thing to remember is that:

Unsupported =! Does Not Work

In other words if something works it does not mean that it is supported.  This is true in Exchange and in Windows etc.  Look at TechNet for the various support statements, and if in doubt please ask!

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Sure, I know that :)

I even remember reading somwhere that CU3 fully works with 2012 R2 but it is not fully tested yet, so no offical support yet for this scenario...

Regards,

Greg

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Windows 2012 R2 is not supported for production use. we are still testing it. if you want to play around in a lab have fun, but don't expect it to work 100%. we expect to support it with SP1 of Exchange 2013.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 4:41 AM
  • note I did not say we would, only expect to support it. It would depend on how our testing goes.
    Friday, November 15, 2013 5:07 AM
  • Can you give us an idea when SP1 will be released? Really want to get this migration underway.

I know you have officially stated "Early 2014" but can you narrow that down? 

Ian

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:23 AM
  • No - Not right now Ian.

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:17 PM
  • Exchange 2013 Sp1 is now available.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41994

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:18 PM
  • I've upgraded to R2 after applying Exchange 2013 SP1 and the issues are still the same: database broken, exchange shell is missing.

Have to reinstall?

Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:00 AM
  • Yes. Upgrading the OS must not be done....

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Thursday, March 06, 2014 12:03 PM
  • do you not put your server into maintenance mode first?

Run PowerShell as Admin to put server in maintenance mode for patching or other work

1. Set-MailboxServer "name of server" -DatabaseCopyActivationDisabledAndMoveNow $True
    2. Set-ServerComponentState –Identity mtaexch01 –Component HubTransport –State Draining –Requester Maintenance
    3. Suspend-ClusterNode –Name "name of server"
    4. Set-MailboxServer –Identity "name of server" –DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Blocked

Take server out of Maint Mode

1. Set-MailboxServer –Identity "name of server" –DatabaseCopyAutoActivationPolicy Unrestricted
    2. Resume-ClusterNode –Name "name of server"
    3. Set-ServerComponentState –Identity "name of server" –Component HubTransport –State Active –Requester Maintenance
    4. Set-MailboxServer –Identity "name of server" –DatabaseCopyActivationDisabledAndMoveNow $False

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:38 PM