none
Exchange 2010 not reducing quota limit

Question

• I have database limits on my mailbox databases. A couple users are complaining that even though they are deleting emails the size of their mailbox doesnt reduce. I do have on the database "keep deleted items for 90 days". So even though they may delete items from their deleted items folder, since I have the "Keep deleted items for 90 days", it wont effect their mailbox size, correct? 
    How often does the mailbox\database "refresh" to recognize the true limit of their mailbox, can I manually update that?

Also, since I put a limit on the database why does the ProhibitSendQuota show up as unlimited for some users mailboxes when I run a PS command such as:

Get-MailboxDatabase "accounting Database" | Get-Mailbox

Thanks.

Get-MailboxDatabase "leasing Database" | Get-Mailbox

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:14 PM

Answers

• Yes, it will show unlimited if it's less than 50 percent.

Users do not receive quota warning messages after you apply Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2480474

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by badlands2011 Friday, March 16, 2012 8:29 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:14 PM

All replies

• For the first question the dumpster is not counted toward the mailbox size and or quota of the mailbox size.

"The size of the Recoverable Items folder isn't counted in the size of the mailbox. The Recoverable Items folder has its own separate and unconfigurable quotas that are set by the mailbox plan that's assigned to the mailbox. These quotas are the RecoverableItemsQuota and the RecoverableItemsWarningQuota."

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg576861.aspx

Don't take users word that their mailboxes are not shrinking, find out how much they are deleting first and make sure their also deleting from the deleted items. In some cases there are some finicky issues where the mailbox still won't actually reflect the mailbox size but it's rare cases. If this is the case, move the mailbox to another store.

How often does the mailbox\database refresh? For 2010 the online maintenance is run constantly in the background. For 2007, it's run during the online maintenance window which by default is in the wee hours of the morning.

As far as why you're getting the unlimited for some users is because of the new quota evaluation changes after Exchange 2010 sp1. If the quota is set to less than 50 percent of the warning\prohibts etc. the users will not get a quota warning and it will also show "unlimited"

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Thanks James. Even after I applied RU6 this is still the case with the "unlimited"?

why you're getting the unlimited for some users is because of the new quota evaluation changes after Exchange 2010 sp1. If the quota is set to less than 50 percent of the warning\prohibts etc. the users will not get a quota warning and it will also show "unlimited"

Friday, March 16, 2012 1:20 AM
  • Yes, it will show unlimited if it's less than 50 percent.

Users do not receive quota warning messages after you apply Service Pack 1 for Exchange Server 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2480474

• Marked as answer by badlands2011 Friday, March 16, 2012 8:29 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 2:14 PM