none
Exchnage 2003 to Exchange 2010 migration....EDB File Copy!

Question

• Hey folks

I am trying to work out the fastest way whereby I can copy 6 Exchange 2003 Database (12 files, 6 edb and 6 stm) from Site A to Site B - 1 mile apart.

A straight copy and paste across our network appears to suggest over 25hrs of copy time from a Source SAN LUN to a Destination SAN LUN.

HOW can I reduce this, in an affordable manner? It strikes me that a USB External HDD copy would just not do the job, so not worth testing.

Any experience or thoughts on this?

T

Tom

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 11:55 AM

Answers

• One option would be to use Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp which has the ability to open any offline Exchange Database so that you can Browse, Search, Export Mailboxes, Folders and Items to PST & MSG or in your particular case to Recover/Import/Migrate data directly from any Offline Exchange database to ANY Production Exchange server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 etc.

IF you are going to use a 3rd party tool like DigiScope then what I would suggest is to;

1. Copy the SOURCE database files to a portable disk, i.e. get a fast USB based drive

2. Transport that disk to SITE B and copy the Database files to a machine with enough local disk space

3. Use DigiScope to open the offline database files, right click the EDB to use the Recovery Wizard to Import/Migrate the data into the new site

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi

Exchange 2003 database files aren't portable and they can only be used on the server where they are currently located so copying them may not be useful to you.

Having said that firewire, USB3 or Thunderbolt drives and adapters are available which are all quicker than USB.

Steve

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Thanks Steve

I have a tool to make them *mountable*. Cheers

Tom

Tom

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:37 PM
  • One option would be to use Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp which has the ability to open any offline Exchange Database so that you can Browse, Search, Export Mailboxes, Folders and Items to PST & MSG or in your particular case to Recover/Import/Migrate data directly from any Offline Exchange database to ANY Production Exchange server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 etc.

IF you are going to use a 3rd party tool like DigiScope then what I would suggest is to;

1. Copy the SOURCE database files to a portable disk, i.e. get a fast USB based drive

2. Transport that disk to SITE B and copy the Database files to a machine with enough local disk space

3. Use DigiScope to open the offline database files, right click the EDB to use the Recovery Wizard to Import/Migrate the data into the new site

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, June 05, 2013 2:53 PM