none
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 Relay access denied

Question

• Here is a weird one, I am having a problem when some hotmail and live users email us, they receive the error message below. However it works just fine for other hotmail,live users, i do not have any problems with any other mail servers or other people emailing us.

Anyone ever see this type of behavior, it just started happening 2 weeks ago without any changes on my end.

Reporting-MTA: dns;snt0-omc4-s42.snt0.hotmail.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;SNT105-W40
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 06:53:13 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;resumes@le****.ca
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.7.1 resumes@le****.ca: Relay access denied

Thanks

Habib

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Habib,

According to the NDR:

>>Reporting-MTA: dns;snt0-omc4-s42.snt0.hotmail.com
    >>Received-From-MTA: dns;SNT105-W40
    >>Arrival-Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 06:53:13 -0700

The NDR come from snt0.hotmail.com, so I think this issue is not due to your side.

It means snt0.hotmail.com can’t resolve the SMTP address. So I suggest you contact Hotmail side.

Enable SMTP logging is a good suggestion, but I think you will not see anything about the error.

Related information:

How to troubleshoot mail relay issues in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:00 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have another MX record pointing to a backup SMTP server at your ISP or similar. If your server were unavailable to the internet the senders would then try to deliver their e-mails to the secondary server which for some reason don't accept mails to your domain.

Leif

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:58 PM
  • I checked with my ISP and we only have 1 mx record pointing to our IP address of our mail server.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any form of mail scanner between the exchange server and the internet?

Try to enable SMTP logging and then next time the problem occurs see in the log if there is any connection that is turned down.

Leif

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Hi Habib,

According to the NDR:

>>Reporting-MTA: dns;snt0-omc4-s42.snt0.hotmail.com
    >>Received-From-MTA: dns;SNT105-W40
    >>Arrival-Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 06:53:13 -0700

The NDR come from snt0.hotmail.com, so I think this issue is not due to your side.

It means snt0.hotmail.com can’t resolve the SMTP address. So I suggest you contact Hotmail side.

Enable SMTP logging is a good suggestion, but I think you will not see anything about the error.

Related information:

How to troubleshoot mail relay issues in Exchange Server 2003 and in Exchange 2000 Server
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Jerome Xiong Tuesday, May 24, 2011 4:00 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:03 AM