none
Error while creating a signature in Outlook 2010

Question

• Good Morning. I have supplied a customer with 4 new PC's with Win 7 Pro and Office 2010 Home and small Bussiness.

The PC's connect to a Small Bussiness Server 2003

On one of the 4 PC's I got an error while wanting to create a signature on Outlook

The error is: A file error has occurred. (C:\Users\username\AppData\...\username.htm

My apologies for any inconvenience if this answer was answered before but in my searching I was unable to find it 

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For this issue, I suggest you follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem:

1.    Go to the <drive>:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures.

2.    Right Click on this folder

3.    Choose Properties->Security->Check whether the user is under “Group or user names”

4.    If not, you can use Edit to add the user and assign “full control” permission to this user.

5.    After user get the permission, have a try whether the signature can work fine.

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by WahlF Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:49 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 7:51 AM

All replies

• Have you tried creating a new outlook profile and delete the original profile including the ost etc?
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Have you tried creating a new outlook profile and delete the original profile including the ost etc?

I have not, the user's mail is on the exchange server and I am not too keen to do that
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:50 AM

I have not, the user's mail is on the exchange server and I am not too keen to do that
    If the emails are on the server, when you create a new outlook profile it should download the headers of the emails (depending on the mode you are in) so there should be no lost in emails unless you move it to a pst or you are using pop3.
    • Edited by Michael Vi Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:08 AM additional info added
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

For this issue, I suggest you follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem:

1.    Go to the <drive>:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures.

2.    Right Click on this folder

3.    Choose Properties->Security->Check whether the user is under “Group or user names”

4.    If not, you can use Edit to add the user and assign “full control” permission to this user.

5.    After user get the permission, have a try whether the signature can work fine.

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by WahlF Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:49 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Thanks Evan it worked
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hi Evan, I have same issue but this does NOT work for me (I am already in the users list & have full perms).  I previously could create signatures, but now I cannot - dont know what changed.  I also cannot find the files for the signatures I already have (although I can select them to use, so they must exist somewhere).

Please help!  Thanks.

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:35 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have a user who can't used to be able to create signature file's, and now she can't. She has full control for both the signature folder and the signature file. I tried renaming the file and that didn't work either. Any ideas?
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Thanks this worked for me.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Thank you! Changing the permissions worked for me as well.
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:30 PM