none
The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated

Question

• Hi,

I am sending mail  from remote machine to my machine using the server name provided by remote user. i am getting following error "The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated".

I am doing this through C# code .

Please advise..

Regards,

Amit

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• You probably need to allow anonymous connections on recieve connector that's listening on the address you're trying to send mail on.
    Tonza
    Friday, September 02, 2011 5:37 AM
  • of course, you could provide credentials in code too.
    Tonza
    Friday, September 02, 2011 5:38 AM
  • Do think twice before you allow anonymous connections on the internet.

You will be a subject to spamming the outside world, and thereby be listed and blocked within hours/days.

Best thing is to simply provide a username and password as it asks for.

Microsoft: MCP, MCTS, MCITP: SA, MCITP: EA || CIW: Associate, Security Professional || CompTIA: A+, Server+, Linux+ || Citrix: CCA on XenApp || HP: ASP, ASP:SMB || Astaro: ACA, ACE
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:54 AM
  • There is difference between open relay and anonymous connection, which is required for authoritative domains so other servers can deliver mail to your authoritative domains.

In this case, it looks like you are trying to send email using mail server that is not authoritative for recipients domain, so it is considered relaying. If you provide username and password, then it is not open relay and mail is processed.

Tonza

• Edited by Tonza Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:09 PM
    Sunday, September 04, 2011 12:06 PM