none
Cannot connect a disconnected mailbox - AD User not found

Question

• We had a user account accidently disabled in AD. We re-enabled the AD account but now we cannot reconnect the mailbox. I see the mailbox in the "Disconnected Mailboxes" container but when I try to reconnect the mailbox this user doesn't show up in the display field. I can see all kinds of other user accounts but not this one. Any help?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:42 AM

Answers

• So finally got it working. We had to remove several left over Exchange info from the AD account using ADSI Edit. What I did was compare a non-mailenabled account with hers using ADSI and made sure they both matched (Exchange Info Only). After I removed the left over exchange info I was able to reconnect her account without any problems. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Brock,

It could be only because of replication. Wait for a while and than try. Or force the AD replication and than try.
    Post the result...

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:47 AM
  • It's been close to 4 hours, we have no other replication issues. Could it be anything else?
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:50 AM
  • Hmmm,

Another thing could be that, this user already has exchange attribute, now to check this Go to Active Directory Users and Computers...Right Click on User and Go to Properties and check if you see any Exchange Attributes!

If it doesn't help than run the below command to create new Mailbox and than disable the new Mailbox.
    Enable-Mailbox john@contoso.com -Database "MyServer\Mailbox Database"

Post the update... 

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 1:56 AM
  • Thank you Gulab for you help but...

There is no exchange info in her AD account. I ran the Enable-Mailbox command and didn't get anything back, no success or failure. Another thing I want to add is that we are in the middle of our migration from Exchange 2007 but this user was already migrated to 2010.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Ok, so you mean to say after running that command you don't see a mailbox for that user?

Are you able to create or assign new mailbox to this user?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:15 AM
  • No, this user does not show up in the EMC when searching for a user account. All of our other non-mailenabled AD accounts show up but this user does not. 
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:16 AM
  • Here is something else that is weird, I can create a new mailbox for the user in Exchange 2007. She shows up as an existing user that I can create a mailbox for. In Exchange 2010 she still doesn't show up as an account I can create a mailbox for.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:25 AM
  • That's weird!

Now, is she the only user you are having issue?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:41 AM
  • Hi,

You may try to create a new user account and then associate the mailbox to the new user account.

More related informaiton to share with you:

How Can I Get a List of All the Disabled User Accounts in Active Directory?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2005/05/12/how-can-i-get-a-list-of-all-the-disabled-user-accounts-in-active-directory.aspx

Regards,

Xiu

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Thank you Xiu, I believe that will work. 

It seems like Exchange 2010 thinks that this user account already has a mailbox assigned to it which is why it won't let me attach the disconnected one to it. Anyway to use ADSI Edit to remove exchange attributes to the AD account?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Is that account mail-enabled (not mailbox-enabled)?  You can't attach a mailbox to a mail-enabled user either.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:20 PM
  • The account was mail-enabled and working for a long time. The AD account was then disabled making the mailbox become disconnected. We re-enabled the AD account but it will not show up in the list of account that we can connect the mailbox to. Beyond that how can I tell if it is mail enabled? It doesn't show up anywhere in Exchange 2010
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • So finally got it working. We had to remove several left over Exchange info from the AD account using ADSI Edit. What I did was compare a non-mailenabled account with hers using ADSI and made sure they both matched (Exchange Info Only). After I removed the left over exchange info I was able to reconnect her account without any problems. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 9:25 PM
  • That was the answer I gave you!
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Was it? I didn't quiet catch what you meant. Thank you all for the help, much appreciated. 
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:01 AM
  • I had this same issue today, in a really bad way.  I had restored my old 2003 database in an effort to see if we could retrieve some old emails.  In the process of this, I deleted all of the mailboxes that I was not working with, for no good reason.  This turned out to be a very bad move.  The old server and new server were still tied together and so all the mailboxes from the new server were deleted. 

On 2010 Server:

The deleted mailboxes were not showing up in "Recipient Configuration/Disconnected Mailbox" folder.  That was fixed by this EMS command:  clean-mailboxdatabase "mailbox db name"

Now that I could see all of the users as Disconnected, I figured it'd be a simple reconnect, which is when I ran in to your problem.

In ADSIEdit.msc, the only attribute that actually needed to be modified was:  msExchRecipientTypeDetails
    - For users, change the value from 1 to 0
    - For Equipment and Rooms, change the value (from 16 I think) to <not set>

A tool called ADModify.exe allowed me to do this in bulk.

Once that was done I could connect the box in EMC. 

I use an Exchange 2010 archive database for most users also.  That required an additional step.  After connecting the user mailbox back, then in EMS run clean-mailboxdatabase "archive db name".  Then it shows up as a disconnected mailbox and can be reconnected very easily to the user it was previously attached to. 

This took me an entire day and a support call with Microsoft, so I thought it was worth some documentation :)

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:44 PM
  • This worked perfectly for me!

In ADSIEdit.msc, the only attribute that actually needed to be modified was:  msExchRecipientTypeDetails
    - For users, change the value from 1 to 0

Thank you very much,

thomacy

Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Thanks - This worked perfectly
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:04 PM