none
Exchange 2010/2003 transition...added 2nd Exchange 2010 server with CAS..configure OWA?

Question

• Currently have exchange 2010 (one server for CAS and another for Mail/HT all in one site) and exchange 2003 working. At a branch office connected to our network, I have installed an Exchange 2010 server (all roles installed) which is only for the local 20 users.  Have moved some mailboxes from the local 2003 server to the new exchange 2010 server.  Mail is flowing in and out.

However, OWA is not working for users on this server.  They have there own CAS role installed due to being a separate site...I did not check off that it was internet facing CAS...as I already have my other one setup with OWA properly.

What do I need to do to get the working CAS at one site to connect to the mailbox at the other site?

Errors that I am getting are: "Outlook Web App isn't available"

works for user internally if I go straight to local site exchange server and not internet facing one.

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:28 PM

Answers

• On the CAS server in the other site, you will want to make sure that the External URL is not configured (needs to be set to $null).  This will allow for automatic proxying from the internet facing CAS.   Read through this article that explains the different options and how to configure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by IlyaD Friday, October 08, 2010 1:46 PM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:03 AM
  • So, there’s only integrated authentication on the /OWA virtual directory on the exchange server of the internal AD site. Please confirm that /ECP virtual directory has the same configuration, and then reset the IIS

Set-OWAvirtualdirectory  -identity “ExServer\owa (Default web site)” –Basicauthentication $false –WindowsAuthenticaiton $true –ExternalAuthenticationMethod windowsintegrated

Please confirm that only FBA authentication is set on the internet-facing exchange server

Please confirm that FQDN is in the internal URL of the non-internet-facing exchange server as Dhruva suggested

Besides the IIS log, please also checks the error event in the application log after reproduce the issue

Please check if there’s any exchange related services stopped on the exchange servers

Please confirm the consistence of the rollup and SP version between two exchange servers

Please run ExBPA against the exchange servers for

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Marked as answer by IlyaD Friday, October 08, 2010 1:45 PM
    Friday, October 08, 2010 2:57 AM

All replies

• On the CAS server in the other site, you will want to make sure that the External URL is not configured (needs to be set to $null).  This will allow for automatic proxying from the internet facing CAS.   Read through this article that explains the different options and how to configure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by IlyaD Friday, October 08, 2010 1:46 PM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 1:03 AM
  • Read through the article.  Not sure...checked OWA...and it shows the local server name for internal and nothing in the external box.  I tried changing the authentication to integrated no effect.  Always comes up Outlook Web App unavailable when accessing from internet facing CAS.
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:02 PM
  • Check the IIS logs on the internet facing CAS and post those for the connections that fail.

Is there a firewall between the AD sites?

Thursday, October 07, 2010 5:12 PM
  • Make sure that the InternalUrl of the Outlook Web App virtual directory exists and that it matches the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the local CAS server
    Dhruva
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 9:49 PM
  • So, there’s only integrated authentication on the /OWA virtual directory on the exchange server of the internal AD site. Please confirm that /ECP virtual directory has the same configuration, and then reset the IIS

Set-OWAvirtualdirectory  -identity “ExServer\owa (Default web site)” –Basicauthentication $false –WindowsAuthenticaiton $true –ExternalAuthenticationMethod windowsintegrated

Please confirm that only FBA authentication is set on the internet-facing exchange server

Please confirm that FQDN is in the internal URL of the non-internet-facing exchange server as Dhruva suggested

Besides the IIS log, please also checks the error event in the application log after reproduce the issue

Please check if there’s any exchange related services stopped on the exchange servers

Please confirm the consistence of the rollup and SP version between two exchange servers

Please run ExBPA against the exchange servers for

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    • Marked as answer by IlyaD Friday, October 08, 2010 1:45 PM
    Friday, October 08, 2010 2:57 AM
  • It turns out I wad heading in the right direction...I changed the non-internet facing CAS from the default form based authentication to integrated.  However, when I did the iis reset it did not start the services properly again...so when I went back and saw Web publishing and iis were off...I manually restarted the services and now it is properly proxying requests to the new CAS.

Thank you for your help!  Now...on their Outlook 2010 under options it says you can access your email on the web but lists the internal address...and I know that I am not to list the external address on the new CAS...so how do I either set the proper external address to show in Outlook 2010 for users  that are not in the same site as the internet facing CAS?

Friday, October 08, 2010 1:45 PM