none
Can you convert a mail user to a user mailbox ?

Question

• I have an AD user that is in Exchange 2010 defined in "Mail Contacts" as a mail user.  Can I convert/move/change that user to have a "Mailbox" user mailbox?

Thank you! 

JLH
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• I have an AD user that is in Exchange 2010 defined in "Mail Contacts" as a mail user.  Can I convert/move/change that user to have a "Mailbox" user mailbox?

Yes. Just to clarify: Mail users are similar to mail contacts. Both have external e-mail addresses and both contain information about people outside your Exchange Server 2010 organization that can be displayed in the global address list (GAL) and other address lists. However, unlike a mail contact, a mail user has Active Directory logon credentials and can access resources. Hopefully we are talking about the same thing.

Disable the Mail User in Exchange. This task removes all the Exchange attributes from the user object in Active Directory. However, it doesn't remove the user from Active Directory. (Make sure you understand that by disabling in Exchange, you remove ...)

Create a mailbox for that user (select Existing User).

Create a Mail User
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124381.aspx

Disable Mail for a Mail-Enabled User
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996598.aspx

MCTS: Messaging | MCSE: S+M
    • Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Friday, June 10, 2011 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by joelhuebner Friday, June 10, 2011 1:52 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:47 AM
  • So as mentioned above you can't
    Sukh
    • Marked as answer by joelhuebner Monday, June 13, 2011 2:09 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:58 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Sukh828 Friday, June 10, 2011 1:54 PM
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:28 PM
  • That is what I fount/thought too, but just wanted to see if I'd missed something?  

Our help desk folks are frustrated, because things like this "could happen" in Exchange 2003.  "Exchange Tasks" were easier... so they say... 

Thank you! 

JLH
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:57 PM
  • So did you got your answer or?
    Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.blogspot.com
    Thursday, June 09, 2011 9:54 PM

Yes. Just to clarify: Mail users are similar to mail contacts. Both have external e-mail addresses and both contain information about people outside your Exchange Server 2010 organization that can be displayed in the global address list (GAL) and other address lists. However, unlike a mail contact, a mail user has Active Directory logon credentials and can access resources. Hopefully we are talking about the same thing.

Disable the Mail User in Exchange. This task removes all the Exchange attributes from the user object in Active Directory. However, it doesn't remove the user from Active Directory. (Make sure you understand that by disabling in Exchange, you remove ...)

Create a Mail User

• Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Friday, June 10, 2011 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by joelhuebner Friday, June 10, 2011 1:52 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 12:47 AM
  • I think we both are right as I'm referring to a convert and your procedure seems like a change.  As you're removing the attribues.

You can change but you cant use the set-mailbox to do a convert as there is no mailbox to convert but you can change.

Sukh
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:23 AM
  • I agree. The wording is a bit loose here. Perhaps a procedures should have been added to move the contents from the external to the internal mailbox. On the other hand, this depends on the kind of external mailbox and the client.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:56 AM

Create a Mail User

^ This. As Jon says, the OP is asking about changing a mailuser to a mailbox, not changing the mailbox type from room to shared, or linked, although that information certainly is useful.

Just to add one thing, if I may. Before disabling the user, you may want to consider recording the LegacyExchangeDN. This is cached in clients like Outlook instead of the email address. If you disable the mailuser, you remove this attribute, and when you enable the user with a mailbox, you will typically create a new one behind the scenes. This could have also have happened in Exchange 2003, this is nothing new.

To get the LegacyExchangeDN from the existing MailUser

Get-MailUser username | fl LegacyExchangeDN

You'll see something like this:

LegacyExchangeDN : /o=Org Name/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=test

Make a note of it, and after enabling the Mailbox you can add this as an X500 proxy address in the Exchange Management Console if required.

Steve

Steve Goodman
    Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Good point! Those messy things I tend to forget when working fast.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 10:28 AM
  • So the consenses is no, it can't be done.  I did look at the LegacyExchangeDN & thought about messing with it.  I used PowerGui to dig in the accounts a bit more.

These are "workstudy" accounts, they have "campus email accounts" as a mail contact, they are listed in our GCL, & their mail takes up space on someone else's server.  Just a bit "confusing" for the 1st tier folks :)   A few more ghosts from Exchange 2003 :) 

Thank you to all! 

JLH
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:51 PM
  • So as mentioned above you can't
    Sukh
    • Marked as answer by joelhuebner Monday, June 13, 2011 2:09 PM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thank all of you for sharing your answers :)

Thanks

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:06 AM