none
in outlook 2010 can you change the meeting organizer?

Question

• I need to subsitute a co-worker as the organizer of a meeting setup in Outlook 2010.  Can/How do I do that?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:17 PM

Answers

• Still not supported in 2010, you will have to cancel and recreate under the new user.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

James is right.

We are unable to change the meeting organizer, unless delete the meeting request, and let the new organizer send the meeting request again.

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• Still not supported in 2010, you will have to cancel and recreate under the new user.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

James is right.

We are unable to change the meeting organizer, unless delete the meeting request, and let the new organizer send the meeting request again.

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, March 25, 2011 10:12 AM
  • What do you do if that is what happened but you don't know why?

I am using Outlook 2010 in a mixed version client environment (i.e. 2007 and 2010).  Where a meeting set up by someone else invites me and I accept, not sure of the circumstances, I have become the organiser on my calendar with no change being done by either meeting organiser or myself.  It even appears that the meeting organiser remains organiser in their own client.  Don't know if the meetings being recurring appointment is relevant here.

• Edited by JEaster Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:51 PM
  • This is absolutely unacceptable; cancelling a series creates a wash-down effect of losing meeting space, not to mention a whole salvo of spam sent out after the meeting is re-created.

This is a most basic function that needs to be supported. There should be a simple drop-down or right-click on the meeting that should say "transfer this meeting to another organizer". Period. No excuses.

• Proposed as answer by Jamie Brennan Wednesday, January 08, 2014 6:29 PM
    Tuesday, December 03, 2013 4:28 PM
  • Agree 100%
    Friday, December 06, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I agree.

If this function existed it would still require the owner/organiser to allow that authority to be transfered. which is no good if the organiser has left the company after setting up a reoccurance.

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:34 PM
  • I agree as well.  Does this function exist in 2013?
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:37 PM
  • nope
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Very poor foresight. I see this as a must have function of Outlook calendaring.

-- Tim

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:14 PM
  • You suggest anyone should be able to hijack a meeting and possibly delete or move the location at will?  I would think this should only be available to the organizer and/or their delegate.  I was trying to find a way to do this but thought it was a long shot because I wouldn't want anyone changing my meeting (because they weren't going to be available or they wanted it in an office closer to them).

If meetings are that important the organizer should have a delegate that could make that change either before the person leaves that role or if they are leaving the company it should be part of the off-boarding process.

I agree there should be a way to transfer ownership of the appointment but it should be the responsibility of the original organizer and/or their delegates.

• Proposed as answer by rjanders Thursday, April 03, 2014 6:13 PM
    Thursday, March 06, 2014 8:51 PM
  • I think it should be allowed, but only take effect if the organizer sends back an update meeting, agreeing to the request.
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:27 PM
  • There is a creative way to work around this...it's not a cure-all, but it lets you keep things like meeting workspace for department meetings and such:

Create a "group" email account and send the recurring invitations from that account.  Many departments will have group accounts (i.e. HumanResources<at>MyCompany.com) that several users can share.  Create the meeting invitation and send it from that account; if someone leaves the company, it won't matter, and the workspace won't be destroyed.

It's not a solution for every circumstance, but at least it covers some of the circumstances described.

• Edited by CJ Mora Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:02 PM corrected punctuation
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:02 PM