none
Outlook Web & Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Question

• I recently installed Window 8 Consumer preview.  Everything seems to work okay except I cannot login to either of two separate Outlook Web (2007) accounts.  I get an error when I try to login which is as follows;

Request
    Url: http://www.mail.philips.com:80/owa/auth/error.aspx
    User host address: 172.16.156.67

On the other server I get a long html string at the top of the screen and all outlook functions are inactive.

I realize that Windows 8 is a Beta and hence no warranties, but was wondering if anyone has encountered anything similar.  Note that both of these worked under Windows 7.  I posted a similar note on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview forum and they suggested I post it here.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• It may not be specific with Windows 8, but should be specific with IE 10. I tried my company mail (Exchange 2003) on Windows 8 and had similar issue where some junk string will load on the top of the page. However, it works fine if I chose "Compatibility Mode".

Shaba

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Microsoft is yet to update the support matrix for Outlook Web Access to see that Exchange 2007 OWA is compatible with Internet Explorer 10.

Refer the below link for more details.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728623.aspx

The following table identifies the Web browsers supported for use together with the premium version of Microsoft Office Outlook Web App for Exchange 2010, Office Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2007 or Exchange 2003, or Outlook Web Access for Exchange 2000. Supported browsers are identified by an X character.

Browser Exchange 2010 SP2 Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange 2010 RTM Exchange 2007 SP3 Exchange 2003 SP2 Exchange 2000 SP3

Internet Explorer 9

X

X

X

X

Internet Explorer 8

X

X

X

X

X**

Internet Explorer 7

X

X

X

X

X***

X***

Internet Explorer 6

X

X

X

Firefox 3.0.1

X

X

X

Safari 3.1

X

X

X

Chrome

X

X

X

Shaba

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi

I agree with Shaba - the compatibility mode in IE 10 fixes a problem with legacy OWA versions.  It's the broken page button at the end of the address bar, but while you can only enable this in Desktop mode it does fix the rendering in the Metro App too.

Cheers, Steve

Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:17 PM