none
outlook keeps asking for password

Question

• hi all, i have an outlook user who connects to exchange from the office and from remote locations.

No matter where the user is connected to exchange he keeps getting random prompts for his username and passowrd to connect to exchange.

The network connection is fine when this prompt appears, i know this becuase the internet is still acessible and other network services.

The server is sbs 2011 / exchange 2010

i have already disabled ROH

I am not sure where to start looking to be honest.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Edited by hyperNoddy Thursday, September 06, 2012 12:02 PM
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:59 AM

Answers

• i added the users credentials to credential manager and all worked ok

thanks

• Marked as answer by hyperNoddy Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:20 PM

All replies

• If you are using Proxy then Bypass Proxy settings for *.yourdomain.local and *.yourdomain.com

Check your DNS settings as well.It should point to your AD server DNS first.If you are using Public DNS then add it in second priority.

Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:02 PM
  • you mean proxy settings in IE?
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Yes Proxy settings in IE.

Thursday, September 06, 2012 3:21 PM
  • What version of outlook? Make sure he's update to date since there was a password prompt but with outlook 2007 rt. Also does outlook still work meaning he can send\receive even though he doesn't enter the credentials and clicks cancel? If so check his outlook account settings and see if he has any sharepoint links. Also check the users credential store in control panel, users and see if there are any stale passwords.

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:14 PM
  • If  only one user encounters this issue, create a new Oulook profile, or try to login Outlook in another computer to see if this works.

I am suspecting the issue is caused by Windows profile corrupt so please take a try.

If the issue continues, please provide more information for turther analysis.

Refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956531

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 07, 2012 6:08 AM
  • i am told this happens for more than one user.

I think although not certain the users are using outlook 2007, i am waiting to connect in this morning and take another look.

Friday, September 07, 2012 7:30 AM
  • the user is using outlook 2003 - have noticed there were not credentials being held in the credential manager

I have added the users credentials to the credential manager and asked the user to test

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Open the Outlook 2003 profile and navigate to More Settings.

Choose the Security tab and tick the box to enable encryption.

Friday, September 07, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Outlook 2003 does not use Exchange web-services. So the issue might be caused by network disconnection, or SEerver side authentication failure. I don't think keeping the credential in Windows profile is helpful for troubleshooting. I'd suggest we create a new Windows profile and take a try.

If the issue continues, verify the application event log of your Exchange server and the GC server to see if there is any error message.

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Do you have RPC-HTTP enabled for the user?  

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:49 PM
  • i added the users credentials to credential manager and all worked ok

thanks

• Marked as answer by hyperNoddy Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:20 PM
  • Hello 

I had similar issue in my environment  -Exchange 2010 SP2 UR4-v2 ,DAG 2 MBX servers(MBX1 and MBX2) in production site ,2 CAS in production site ,17 mail box databases , Public folder replicated to all the mailbox servers.

strangely users using outlook 2003 and outlook 2007 were being prompted for user name passwords.

investigations were done as follows

1. test connection status -click on the outlook icon in the lower right of the users desktop.clicked on test connection status ..

2. found that the username was being prompted while attempting to connect to the public folder in MBX1 server.

3. using EMC on the exchange server, changed databases pointing to public folder in MBX1 to public folder in MBX2.  This solved the issue for us.however we were not sure of what the exact issue was ..was it public folder corruption in MBX1? .we found that the users were being prompted for username and password only in outlook 2007 and not in OWA or outlook 2010. this made us rule out possibility of Public folder corruption in MBX1 server.

4.raised a case with microsoft to do a RCA (root cause analysis) . The resolution from them was to change the exchange RPC service on MBX1 from "network service" to  "local account" and switch back to "network service".

The reason stated by microsoft is "password cache corruption" .Any ways the problem was solved at the server level.

Hope this helps all of you who have been scratching your head over this issue

Shiva

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 10:11 AM