none
Max. Receive Email Size set everywhere to 15+ MB, still 15 MB attachment is rejected

Question

• in my Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Envirnoment I have set everywhere to accept messages of a max. size of 15 MB (15500 KB Setting) - but still a 14,5 MB attachment is rejected by my server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get-ReceiveConnector | fl Name,MaxMessageSize:

Name           : Default EX1 - this connector is disabled!!!
    MaxMessageSize : 10 MB (10,485,760 bytes)

Name           : Client EX1
    MaxMessageSize : 15.14 MB (15,872,000 bytes)

Name           : smtp world - this should be the connector where messages form the internet should pop up

Name           : RelayConnector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get-TransportConfig | fl MaxSendSize,MaxReceiveSize:

MaxSendSize    : 20.02 MB (20,992,000 bytes)
    MaxReceiveSize : 15.14 MB (15,872,000 bytes)

Get-Mailbox | fl name,MaxSendSize,MaxReceiveSize:

Name           : The User In Charge
    MaxSendSize    : unlimited
    MaxReceiveSize : 20 MB (20,971,520 bytes)

Still a 14,5 MB attachment, without much Email-Body arround is bounced back, a 10,1 MB attchment goes through just fine. If there would be a default 10 MB limit, this mail should be rejected too.

This is what I get back from google when attempting to send a 14,5 MB large attachment ot the user in charge:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

dieter.tontsch@domain.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 552 552 5.3.4 Message size exceeds fixed maximum message size (state 18).

Any idea where else I can look? Is there any trick which I can use in order to determine the max. allowed receive limit of a certain user filtered through all instances like hub transport general settings, receive connecotr, individual mailbox settings... Also, these settings apply to a max. message size, but not to a attachment size limit. Is there any setting I can use to set limits for attachment size?

Best regards,

Dieter

Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:08 PM

Answers

• Allow for around 30% increase, set to around 20MB.

Sukh

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Dieter,

During message delivering, it will be added some other header information and increase some size.

So you need to leave some redundency like Sukh suggested.

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:14 AM

All replies

• Allow for around 30% increase, set to around 20MB.

Sukh

Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Dieter,

During message delivering, it will be added some other header information and increase some size.

So you need to leave some redundency like Sukh suggested.

Thanks.

Rowen

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 24, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Thanks Sukh and Rowen-Xu, it realy seems that I need to add quite a lot of buffer. After I've set the values for receiving message size to 25500 KB finally my 15 MB test message attachment went through.

Thanks, Dieter

Sunday, February 26, 2012 8:44 AM