none
Exch 2010 Cross Forest Migration - Error: Recipient isn't a mailbox

Question

• Dears,

I am doing Cross Forest Migration, both Source and Target are Windows 2008 SP1 and Exchange 2010 SP1 Update 6.

I have done through this:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633491.aspx (1st I run the Preparemoverequest, then I used ADMT to migrate the users and merge them, them remote move mailbox). BUT I am having the following issue in the end of remote move mailbox:

Error: Recipient isn't a mailbox

I have seen the same case here:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/exchange2010/thread/c987fec0-93c3-4f6c-ae56-775287d28b5e but they marked answer was applied and am still getting the error.

So, i have the following Question:

I tried to exclude all Exchange attribute from ADMT Migration but still no luck, I tried to migrate all what ADMT can see, but still no luck... What do i exactly have to do? What should I exclude from user migration in ADMT Tool? (am using ADMT 3.2)

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    You are initiating the remote moverequest using EMC, right?

Please use EMS instead in the target domain and post the parameters your're using.

Try this:
    New-MoveRequest -Identity user10@vcloud.lab -Remote  -RemoteHostName 'CAS01.sourcedomain.com' -RemoteCredential (Get-Credential Sourcedomain\Administrator) -TargetDeliveryDomain "John.lab"

Above you have RemoteHostName 'john-ex01.john.lab' and that is the server in target so that's wrong. Does explain why you get "Recipient isn't a mailbox"

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Jean M Monday, April 16, 2012 10:09 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hi,
    Since you don't have SP2 installed, you can only enable MRSProxy by modifying the file web.config that you will find in "*\*\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\exchweb\ews". Look for the section “<!– Mailbox Replication Proxy Server configuration –>
    After you have modified the setting in the web.config, restart the service MSExchangeMailboxReplication

Martina Miskovic

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:35 AM

All replies

• On the target user, make sure that all Exchange attributes are removed.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:42 PM
  • On the target user, make sure that all Exchange attributes are removed.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Well, can we list all the attribute which belong to exchange? "Since I hv removed all the one which start with MSEx* and Proxy, and Mail" and still getting the same error
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:26 PM
  • What about legacyExchangeDN?

Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Use ADMT to Migrate SID history and EXCLUDE all this attributes from migration :

HomeMDB
    HomeMTA
    showInAddressBook
    msExchHomeServerName,
    mail*
    proxyAddresses,
    msExch*

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Hasnain Shaikh| My blogs: http://messagingserversupport.com

Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Use ADMT to Migrate SID history and EXCLUDE all this attributes from migration :

HomeMDB
    HomeMTA
    showInAddressBook
    msExchHomeServerName,
    mail*
    proxyAddresses,
    msExch*

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Hasnain Shaikh| My blogs: http://messagingserversupport.com

What about MailNickName?

USer Account Control?

• Edited by Jean M Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:08 AM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:07 AM
  • exclude that too.

mail*

USer Account Control - This is basicaly set by the system.Each time the account policy changes system updates this.Even if you merge this attribute, as soon as the account policy apply in the source forest account this value will be change.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:19 AM
  • exclude that too.

mail*

USer Account Control - This is basicaly set by the system.Each time the account policy changes system updates this.Even if you merge this attribute, as soon as the account policy apply in the source forest account this value will be change.

again am getting the same result:

Recipient 'John.Lab/Migration/User 10' isn't a mailbox.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], RemotePermanentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : A3171263,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMoveRequest

The User is avaiable in mail contact in Target Forest, the following snapshot show it:

Any suggestion on how to solve this issue?

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi Jean,

You can just follow this document to move the users:

Step 6 - Use Active Directory Migration Tool to Migrate a Test User
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee918755(v=ws.10).aspx

When you use ADMT to move the users, here are some suggestions for you:

Our recommendation on working with ADMT is to rely on the PrepareMoveRequest script to create the local user object for mailbox move, and then use ADMT to migrate SIDHistory and password and merge this into the MEU created by PrepareMoveRequest.ps1 script.

At this point it doesn't matter if ADMT is used to migrate/merge the user objects all at once or in "batches" of user objects. ADMT can be controlled better to ensure only merging of SIDhistory and certain other mandatory attributes if it's not already populated.

Running ADMT first, without ensuring exclusions on msExch* attributes, can cause corrupted objects which the script cannot correctly convert with the -UseLocalObject switch.

Important Note: When SP1 ships, we will support running ADMT first and then the PrepareMoveRequest script later.

You can know more detail from this document:

Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Mailbox Moves
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:02 AM
  • again am getting the same result:

Recipient 'John.Lab/Migration/User 10' isn't a mailbox.
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], RemotePermanentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : A3171263,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMoveRequest

The User is avaiable in mail contact in Target Forest, the following snapshot show it:

Any suggestion on how to solve this issue?

You mean when you move mailboxes to target forest, it change to mail contact in target forest, right?

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Hi Jean,

You can just follow this document to move the users:

Step 6 - Use Active Directory Migration Tool to Migrate a Test User
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee918755(v=ws.10).aspx

When you use ADMT to move the users, here are some suggestions for you:

Our recommendation on working with ADMT is to rely on the PrepareMoveRequest script to create the local user object for mailbox move, and then use ADMT to migrate SIDHistory and password and merge this into the MEU created by PrepareMoveRequest.ps1 script.

At this point it doesn't matter if ADMT is used to migrate/merge the user objects all at once or in "batches" of user objects. ADMT can be controlled better to ensure only merging of SIDhistory and certain other mandatory attributes if it's not already populated.

Running ADMT first, without ensuring exclusions on msExch* attributes, can cause corrupted objects which the script cannot correctly convert with the -UseLocalObject switch.

Important Note: When SP1 ships, we will support running ADMT first and then the PrepareMoveRequest script later.

You can know more detail from this document:

Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Mailbox Moves
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/10/3410619.aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

Dear Evan,

Its seems you did not read the 1st Post, Coz I have done with the steps! and I know all those blogs and Technet KBs.

Let us talk about MSProxy Service, when I am trying to enable it am getting the following error:

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "EWS (Default Web
    Site)" -MRSProxyEnabled $true -MRSMaxConnections 50
    A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument '-MRSProxyEnabled'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory

NOTE: The -MRSProxyEnabled is not a parameter in my PowerShell!

1. I have run it in Target Forest, Is that is true?
    2. What is the soluation to run the command successfully? (note the installation is typlical installation, all in 1 Box at target Forest)

-----

As I remember I modified something maunally to enable MSPRoxy, here the command show the current configureations:

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory

Name                                    Server                                  InternalUrl
    ----                                    ------                                  -----------
    EWS (Default Web Site)                  JOHN-EX01                               https://john-ex01.john.lab/EWS/Excha...

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory |fl

RunspaceId                      : 110c829b-22d9-4d50-b6d0-2199b886d5fa
    CertificateAuthentication       :
    InternalNLBBypassUrl            : https://john-ex01.john.lab/ews/exchange.asmx
    GzipLevel                       : High
    Name                            : EWS (Default Web Site)
    InternalAuthenticationMethods   : {Ntlm, WindowsIntegrated, WSSecurity}
    ExternalAuthenticationMethods   : {Ntlm, WindowsIntegrated, WSSecurity}
    LiveIdSpNegoAuthentication      : False
    WSSecurityAuthentication        : True
    LiveIdBasicAuthentication       : False
    BasicAuthentication             : False
    DigestAuthentication            : False
    WindowsAuthentication           : True
    MetabasePath                    : IIS://JOHN-EX01.John.Lab/W3SVC/1/ROOT/EWS
    Path                            : C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\exchweb\EWS
    ExtendedProtectionTokenChecking : None
    ExtendedProtectionFlags         : {}
    ExtendedProtectionSPNList       : {}
    Server                          : JOHN-EX01
    InternalUrl                     : https://john-ex01.john.lab/EWS/Exchange.asmx
    ExternalUrl                     :
    AdminDisplayName                :
    ExchangeVersion                 : 0.10 (14.0.100.0)
    DistinguishedName               : CN=EWS (Default Web Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=JOHN-EX01,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Ad
                                      ministrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=First Organization,C
                                      N=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=John,DC=Lab
    Identity                        : JOHN-EX01\EWS (Default Web Site)
    Guid                            : e2c80b25-4a98-4363-a239-0cac85dd3507
    ObjectCategory                  : John.Lab/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Web-Services-Virtual-Directory
    ObjectClass                     : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory, msExchWebServicesVirtualDirectory}
    WhenChanged                     : 4/11/2012 4:41:29 PM
    WhenCreated                     : 4/11/2012 4:41:29 PM
    WhenChangedUTC                  : 4/11/2012 1:41:29 PM
    WhenCreatedUTC                  : 4/11/2012 1:41:29 PM
    OrganizationId                  :
    OriginatingServer               : John-DC01.John.Lab
    IsValid                         : True

1. Do you think i have to modify it?

• Edited by Jean M Monday, April 16, 2012 8:15 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 7:58 AM
  • The target must be a user with no Exchange attributes.  The e-mail addresses can't be on a contact.  Create the user, delete the contact.

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:28 AM
  • The target must be a user with no Exchange attributes.  The e-mail addresses can't be on a contact.  Create the user, delete the contact.

Well, Maybe we are step ahead, This Mail contact was created by Prepare move request script!!!

How can I make sure that the user is mail enabled (how can I make sure that perpare move request was working fine?) anything to check inside Exchange EMC?

WEll, also when I delteted the Contact, and Tried to migrate I got the following error:

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:03

User 10
    Failed

Error:
    The operation couldn't be performed because object '0810b2ea-6d4a-46bc-b29c-5bc29c1b2a3f' couldn't be found on 'John-DC01.John.Lab'.
    Click here for help... http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms.exch.err.default(EXCHG.141).aspx?v=14.1.218.11&t=exchgf1&e=ms.exch.err.Ex6F9304

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    '0810b2ea-6d4a-46bc-b29c-5bc29c1b2a3f' | New-MoveRequest -Remote -TargetDatabase 'db01' -RemoteHostName 'john-ex01.john.lab' -RemoteCredential 'System.Management.Automation.PSCredential' -TargetDeliveryDomain 'john.lab'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

• Edited by Jean M Monday, April 16, 2012 8:51 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

Please use EMS instead in the target domain and post the parameters your're using.

Try this:
    New-MoveRequest -Identity user10@vcloud.lab -Remote  -RemoteHostName 'CAS01.sourcedomain.com' -RemoteCredential (Get-Credential Sourcedomain\Administrator) -TargetDeliveryDomain "John.lab"

Above you have RemoteHostName 'john-ex01.john.lab' and that is the server in target so that's wrong. Does explain why you get "Recipient isn't a mailbox"

Martina Miskovic

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Try this:

Martina Miskovic

Sound is great, I have an issue with configuring MRSProxy,

The following command: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee732395.aspx

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "EWS (Default Web Site)" -MRSProxyEnabled $true -MRSMaxConnections 50

Looks not applicable for Exchange 2010 SP1, any solution please?

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,
    Since you don't have SP2 installed, you can only enable MRSProxy by modifying the file web.config that you will find in "*\*\Exchange Server\V14\Client Access\exchweb\ews". Look for the section “<!– Mailbox Replication Proxy Server configuration –>
    After you have modified the setting in the web.config, restart the service MSExchangeMailboxReplication

Martina Miskovic

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:35 AM
  • Totaly appreciated.

Thanks alot

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Your're Welcome Jean M!

So, is everything working for you now?

Martina Miskovic

Monday, April 16, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Everything is very fine
    Monday, April 16, 2012 10:39 AM