none
Windows XP Service Pack 3 Problem? - Windows update does not work anymore

Question

• Windows update stops working after loading SP3 (Windows XP Service Pack 3)

Just reloaded a pc that had Wiindows xp on it. Did a clean install using XP Pro SP2.

All drivers, chipset, bios loaded usiing latest version available.

Working just fine.

Went to windows update to begin that process, SP3 is listed as a stand alone install so I figured what the heck lets do it.

SP3 loaded without a hitch, reboot required.

Went back into windows updates, more were there, tried to install them.

They download ok, but the installation fails.

Tried them one at a time - still fails.

Downloaded them manually from Microsoft site, installed them manually no problem.

Rebooted and went back into windows update, the same updates that I just installed manually are still listed and yes, they still failed to install using windows update.

Uninstalled SP3, and everything works fine now.

Talked with a tech friend and he told me that he has the exact same problem. I told him to just uninstall SP3.

He did and is system is fine now also.

Is windows update no longer an option if we load SP3, or is this one of those features(Bugs).

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:14 AM

Answers

• Here is a batch file to fix the problem.

It just registers the wups2.dll as described in the microsoft published fix for this problem

1. Open notepad

2. Copy the following text and past it into notepad

*-- copy text from between these comments

@echo off

if exist %windir%\system32\wups2.dll goto fix32
    if exist %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll goto fix64
    goto error

:fix32
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    goto eoj

:fix64
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    goto eoj

:error
    echo Unable to locate wups2.dll operation aborted

:eoj
    pause

3. Save the file and name it sp3fix.bat (change the save as type option to all files *.*)

4. Run the sp3fix.bat file

you should get a regsvr32 confirmation window, click OK

your windows updates should now work.

Thanks and good luck

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:25 AM

All replies

• I have this exact same problem. I just formatted my laptop and installed a fresh copy of XP SP2, went to Windows Update and it listed SP3. I downloaded it. Everything went smooth. I rebooted. Went back for more updates, there are about 12 of them. They all downloaded without a hitch, but fail on installation.

Even Automatic Updates tell me that new updates are ready to install. I click install, and they fail.

Here are the updates I can't install:

High Priority (7):

KB946691: Update for Office 2007
    KB949037: Update for Office Outlook 2007
    KB946974: SECURITY Update for Office Excel 2007
    KB946983: SECURITY Update for Outlook 2007
    KB947801: SECURITY Update for Office 2007
    Office 2007 SP1
    KB931906: SECURITY Update for CAPICOM

Other Updates (5):

Root Certificates Update
    Windows Media Player 11
    KB829019: .NET Framework 2.0
    .NET Framework 1.1
    KB946609: Silverlight 1.0

Not a good way to start.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:27 AM
  • I had the same problem. I solved it using the method described here (found here).
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:17 PM
  •  

Monday, May 12, 2008 5:15 AM
  •  

Yes this fixed the problem for me. Thanks for the solution.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Here is a batch file to fix the problem.

It just registers the wups2.dll as described in the microsoft published fix for this problem

1. Open notepad

2. Copy the following text and past it into notepad

@echo off

if exist %windir%\system32\wups2.dll goto fix32
    if exist %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll goto fix64
    goto error

:fix32
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    goto eoj

:fix64
    net stop wuauserv
    regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
    net start wuauserv
    goto eoj

:error
    echo Unable to locate wups2.dll operation aborted

:eoj
    pause

3. Save the file and name it sp3fix.bat (change the save as type option to all files *.*)

4. Run the sp3fix.bat file

you should get a regsvr32 confirmation window, click OK

your windows updates should now work.

Thanks and good luck

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:25 AM

• what the ... ????

so this means that Windows XP SP3 won't work properly for the Windows Update if not executing that Script ?

I'm about to deploy domain-wide SP3 this week.

is it true that there's a problem in SP3 ?
    • Proposed as answer by wittiow Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:14 PM
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:18 AM
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the batch file fix - very much appreciated!

Saturday, July 05, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  

thank you for the helpful post.mine worked as well.mhd
    Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:39 PM
  • thanks,    had same problem installing Windows Live

Messenger..... Fixeed it Too

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:05 AM
  • THANK YOU sooooo much.  That worked right away.  It was bothering me for a few hourse and I about pulled my hair out after 2 reformats... should have just looked for this thread instead.  Thanks again!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:45 AM
  • I just installed XP SP2 upgraded to SP3 and then had exactly the same problem in installing updates. When I went to install updates I had to install the latest version of Windows Update first. I have been working through a potential solution for some time with a Microsoft technician and getting nowhere. Then by accident today I read an article in Windows Secrets published in mid-2007. They indicated that the latest version of Windows Update managed to deregister a number of DLLs. They gave the following fix.

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32 /s wups.dll
    regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

You simply copy the above lines into notepad save it as a BAT file (eg FixDLLs.BAT) and run the file. After almost going mental Windows Update worked without the slightest problem.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:37 AM
  • EUREKA!!!  HALLELUJAH!!!  HAPPY DANCES!!!

KUDOS to you Milindur!!!  I had tried so many options... including re-installing the Update Tool...

And for some reason... never found the article you pointed to... and it had the ultimate key ingredient... Re-Installing the Update Tool and using the RUN command to launch the installer and adding the       /wuforce    command to the end of the run string.

To sum up, for everyone else... I had done a Factory Restore system restore to my 1.2 year old laptop... which put Windows XP Home on the computer with all necessary drivers.  I ran all the Windows Updates (without a hitch, of course) for that version of XP and then I installed my Windows XP Professional Upgrade on the machine.  (Stupidly, I cannot do a clean install of XP Pro because the CD was released before Serial SATA drives were common on laptops... so it never recognizes the drive... for you purists out there... I'm with you...)

Okay... then I installed Service Pack 2 and lots of updates (Again... no hitches)... and in the process, installed Service Pack 3.  After that... everything was FUBAR as far as new updates.

I tried a lot of options... everything I could find, about registering the dlls, updating the registry, re-installing the Update Tool.  I kept getting the "Downloaded but failed to install" issues....0x80004002 was reported in the error log (might have been helpful of the Update tool to show the error code, instead of just telling me it failed...)

After updating the Registry (as per other posts on this topic and ....  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&mid=ce5c082f-f302-4227-9509-9fca92834d58&sloc=en-us

Oddly, that gave me two successful updates... the others continued to fail.

I noticed that all the updates that failed... were shown in the Update Tool as *downloaded, ready to install.

Honestly, I was ready to go back to the drawing board on this machine and re-consider Service Pack 3.

Last ditch... found this page with Milindar's link... and, like I said, the key is the     /wuforce   at the end of the Run command line.  Because this not only re-installs the Tool, it also clears the cache or flags or whatever it is that makes the Tool think it already has the proper update files.

After re-downloading the installer from...    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144   to my C:\Techroom\  folder

then running this command from Start->Run....      "C:\TechRoom\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" /wuforce

restarting, of course...

Then going directly to http://update.microsoft.com

Well... I ran a very low priority update, singled it out, and it worked.  I ran a couple more low-priority updates and they worked... then... I held my breath and ran Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0  .... AND IT WORKED!

I actually have no new updates available... and feel more comfortable about handing this laptop off to my cousin.  Which is why I re-formatted in the first place!!!

Sorry for the lengthy post here... but I searched and read so many freaking pages in the last two days... never finding the exact fit until this morning on this page... so I've included the whole prosess and as many details and error messages as I could.  Ultimately hoping to save some other people the time and frustration of so many problems and possibly re-installing Windows over and over to no avail.  LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!  ENOUGH THAT MICROSOFT SHOULD RELEASE AN UPDATE!!!

When I was in school... we learned that the definition of insanity was to repeat the same action over and over and expecting different results.  Microsoft has made this a way of life!!!

Thank you everyone and good luck!

Archer

Sunday, August 03, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Thank you! Batch file worked like a charm!

Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:11 AM
  • After trying the suggest MS solution with no luck, this worked like a champ!

I don't see how them boys stay in business.

Thanks so much!!!

Friday, August 15, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Worked for me, thanks.

Looks like SP3 is kinda like Vista - another of those Microsoft "Not Ready For Prime Time" products.  After all the Windows Update problems I've been seeing recently, I've disabled it on all my computers and advise others to do the same.  It's pretty obvious you can no longer trust Microsoft's advice.

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:34 PM
  •  

nice one

did it all now fine' spot on'happy now...

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  

Friday, September 19, 2008 12:05 AM
  • i agree with you i need some help i am using windows xpsp3 and windows internet explorer 7 i have used the egfixdlls.bat and the xpsp3fix.bat and a couple of symple commands, but nothing is working for me windows microsoft page doesn't load properly

Friday, September 19, 2008 3:13 PM
  •  

I will avoid installing SP3 for my XP Pro...

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Earl

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:08 PM
  •  

Just wanted to say thank you for this fix. Just purchased a new computer, installed Windows XP with SP2 integrated and started Windows Update with SP3... had this problem all night until I finally found this thread at 7am.

Thank you again.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:15 PM
  • I am totally blind, what is the fix? I have tried resetting my account to administrator these things didn't work i have even tried to remove xpsp3 and try using windows microsoft update and nothing has worked yet

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:51 PM
  •  

Thanks a Heap,

that greatly helped solve the issue thanks alot

Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:05 AM
  • Sooooo Cooool! Thanks so much for the fix. was about to uninstall SP3 when i did a search and found your post. Seems to be working great. Thanks again!

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:41 PM
  • I have made some harmlees batch files, which can auto. fix Windows Update.
     http://www25.brinkster.com/mrfusker/pages/windowsxpsp3updatefix.htm
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 9:35 PM
  • I used this yesterday after tech easy assist tried to help me by installing a new Accounting Program remotely and failed as I was failing using the original disk and failed install my accounting program plus a lot of problems were happening with my msft updates (some had to be hidden because they kept trying to install and failed since Feb). 

I think I found the original guy who suggested it because before these commands entered in order, he said to enter them by opening run and put them in one by one as you stated above. 

Sending your entry notes  to my son who is a high techie so he can explain them to me...but it works.

Friday, May 22, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Thank for a great solution, now automatic updates are working fine
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:06 PM
  • I tried all kinds of the solutions here, and none of them worked. There were two files that were still from the old Windows Update .DLLs.

I documented the whole thing, along with the solution here:

http://dascomputerconsultants.com/WindowsUpdateBroken.htm

David Soussan
    • Proposed as answer by dasoussan Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:34 PM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thank You Dr J the first fix given didn't take care of my problem but your dll fix did! My son can finally play age of empires online!
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Best thorough solution here. Wish I only got here first. Thanks Sir! Blessings...
    Friday, March 02, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Why is this a Windows secret?  Your BAT file resolved my problem after numerous attempts with Microsoft Fix-It. Microsoft were useless in helping me. I am glad I persevered and came accross your post.  I am currently installing 20 updates...

Sunday, January 06, 2013 6:08 PM
  •   Tried your method did not work. This is a recent problem for me, up to a month ago I never had this problem. I could do a clean install then use windows update no problem. I have win xp sp2 2002. After I download sp3 windows update does not work any more it runs and runs but never stops. In fact when I check windows update history nothing shows up, not sp3 I just downloaded. If I right click on "my computer" on desktop it says I have sp3 now. If I check my version in help it says I have the sp3 new version . I have tried all the fixes and nothing is working. In the past few months something changed, because like I said this is a recent problem in my experience. What changed recently to cause this problem with microsoft update?
    • Proposed as answer by Private IT Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:01 PM
    Monday, October 07, 2013 4:13 AM
  • Use These Steps to Fix Windows Update After In Place (Repair) Install of XP SP3

David Sale, Private I.T.

October 16, 2013

Symptoms (one of the following):

• Windows Update opens with error “The website has encountered a problem …”
    • Windows Update looks for updates and hangs in the searching screen
    • Windows Update hangs at “Preparing to download”

Reasons:

• Failure to remove Internet Explorer 8 before update
    • Failure to remove Power Shell
    • Corruption of update components and directories

I spent a week searching the Internet, running Fix-its, resetting components, and even writing a batch file to clean up everything but to no avail.

Then I noticed that MS Security Essentials could not update either so I searched for solutions there.  That got me started on the right track.

My solution is probably not the only one but it does illustrate the power of Windows to heal itself if we have the patience to wait.

Here is the sequence that finally worked but it took several days to complete because of the time lost waiting for tasks to complete:

•       System Restore to the point following the repair install to eliminate as many problems as possible.
      •       Make sure Automatic Updates is set to download new updates but ask you when to install them.
      •       Remove Power Shell if installed.

Step 1: Reset your Internet Explorer settings

Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as the default browser

Step 3: Ensure that the date and time are set correctly on your PC

Step 4: Rename the Software Distribution folder on your PC

Step 5: Reset the Microsoft antivirus update engine on your PC

Step 6: Manually install the virus and spyware definition updates

1.       Use another computer to download Internet Explorer 8 from Microsoft Download Center and install it.
    2.       Reboot.
    3.       Create a Restore Point here in case you have to backtrack. You should now be able to get to Windows Update without the first error. 
    4.       Run the Express option.  WAIT!  This took several hours but the computer is not hung since the progress bar still runs.  Eventually the message “Need to update some components” should appear.  This will download the Genuine Advantage Validation Tool which, when run, confirms the validity of your licence.
    5.       Reboot and run the Express option in Windows Update a second time.  It should find lots of updates.  In my case there were 121.

10.  It will appear to hang at “preparing to download” when you start to install the updates; however, after about an hour the yellow update symbol should appear on the task bar and moving the mouse over it will indicate that it is downloading and give a percent.  In my case it was 19%.

11.  WAIT! In my case it took several hours but eventually the message to restart the computer to finish the installation appears.

12.  After the reboot check the yellow update symbol if present and install any updates.  In my case there was one update ready to install (KB955759).

13.  Reboot and go to Windows Update again.  Run the Express option.  A few updates should appear.  In my case there were 2 that I installed.

14.  Reboot again and run Windows Update with the Express option.  Repeat until no further updates are found.

15.  Check the update history in Windows Update home page.  It should show a long list of updates successfully installed.  My list contained 125 updates.

16.  Run Custom install to add any additional updates that you want.

17.  Reboot and keep checking Windows Update with the Custom option until no further updates occur.  Reboot after each install.

18.  Keep checking the Windows Update Install History to make sure there are no errors to deal with.

19.  Check that MS Security Essentials can now update.

20.  It is now safe to set Automatic Updates to download and install automatically if desired.

You should now see that both manual and automatic updates are running as they should.

Below are the details from step 4 copied from the website:

Troubleshooting update issues for Microsoft Security Essentials

On this page

• Step 1: Reset your Internet Explorer settings
    • Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as the default browser
    • Step 3: Ensure that the date and time are set correctly on your PC
    • Step 4: Rename the Software Distribution folder on your PC
    • Step 5: Reset the Microsoft antivirus update engine on your PC
    • Step 6: Manually install the virus and spyware definition updates
  • Step 7: Contact support

Microsoft Security Essentials works automatically with Microsoft Update to ensure that your virus and spyware definitions are kept up to date.

Symptoms

Here are some common issues with automatic updates:

• You see error messages indicating that updates have failed.
    • When you check for updates, you receive an error message that the virus and spyware definition updates can't be checked, downloaded, or installed.
    • Even though you're connected to the Internet, the updates fail.
    • Updates don't automatically install as scheduled.

Cause

The most common causes for update issues are problems with Internet connectivity. If you're online, then the issue might be caused by conflicts with your settings in Windows Internet Explorer.

Solution

Important:

You have to exit Internet Explorer to complete these steps. Therefore, print them, write them down, or copy them to another file, and then bookmark this topic for future access.

Step 1: Reset your Internet Explorer settings

1.       Exit all open programs, including Internet Explorer.

Note: Resetting these settings in Internet Explorer deletes your temporary files, cookies, browsing history, and your online passwords. But, your favorites won’t be deleted.

1.       Click Start, and in the Start Search box, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press Enter.
    2.       In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    3.       Under the Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset, and then click Reset again.
    4.       Wait until Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, and then click OK.
    5.       Open Internet Explorer.
    6.       Open Microsoft Security Essentials, click the Update tab, and then click Update. If the issue persists, go on to the next step.

Step 2: Set Internet Explorer as the default browser

1.       Exit all open programs, including Internet Explorer.
    2.       Click Start, and in the Start Search box, type inetcpl.cpl, and then press Enter.
    3.       In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Programs tab.
    4.       Under Default Web browser, click Make default. Click OK.
    5.       Open Microsoft Security Essentials. Click the Update tab, and then click Update. If the issue persists, go on to the next step.

Step 3: Ensure that the date and time are set correctly on your PC

1.       Open Microsoft Security Essentials.
    2.       If the error message that you received contains the code 0x80072f8f, the problem is most likely caused by an incorrect date or time setting on your PC.
    3.       To reset your PC's date or time setting, follow the steps in http://go.microsoft.com/flink/?LinkID=155579

Step 4: Rename the Software Distribution folder on your PC

1.       Stop the Automatic Updates service
      1.       Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
      2.       Right-click the Automatic Updates service, and then click Stop.
      3.       Minimize the Services snap-in.
    2.       If the error message that you received contains the code 0x80072f8f, the problem is most likely caused by an incorrect date or time setting on your PC.
    3.       Rename the SoftwareDistribution directory as follows:
      1.       Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
      2.       Type cd %windir%, and then press Enter.
      3.       Type ren SoftwareDistribution SDTemp, and then press Enter.
      4.       Type exit, and then press Enter.
    4.       Start the Automatic Updates service as follows:
      1.       Maximize the Services snap-in.
      2.       Right-click Automatic Updates service, and then click Start.
      3.       Close the Services snap-in window.

Step 5: Reset the Microsoft antivirus update engine on your PC

1.       Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt, and then select Run as administrator.
    2.       In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
      • Cd\
      • Cd program files\microsoft security essentials
      • Mpcmdrun –removedefinitions –all
      • Exit
    3.       Restart your PC.
    4.       Open Microsoft Security Essentials, click the Update tab, and then click Update. If the issue persists, go on to the next step.

Step 6: Manually install the virus and spyware definition updates

• If you're running a 32-bit Windows operating system, download the latest updates manually at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87342.
    • If you're running a 64-bit Windows operating system, download the latest updates manually at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87341.
    • Click Run. The latest updates are manually installed on your PC.

Step 7: Contact support

If the steps did not resolve the issue, contact support. For more information, see Customer Support.
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Hi All,

It took me a while to cut this one down. I created a blog post on my website with detailed instructions and links to the updates you'll need to download. It'll take you about 10 minutes and you should have Windows Updates working again.
    http://www.geekallday.com/windows-xp-sp3-update-issues/

I'll also list the updates here that are required.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:46 PM